• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

94 2500 6.5 turbo won't start

psycobilly64

psycobilly64
Reaction score
I just got my first 6.5 turbo yesterday and now it won't start. It was driven to me and I drove it around but never shut it off till I got back home. Now it just cranks over and doesn't seem to even try to fire:mad2:. It runs fine (when it runs!), idles smooth and has no hesitation or shudder while driving so I don't think it has air or water in the fuel. The block warmer works and glow plugs seem to as well and I can hear the fuel pump running so I'm lost as to what the problem is. I was going to replace the glow plugs but I don't want to spend 85 bucks if I don't have to.

ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED!! I'm used to working on otr trucks so I'm kinda lost
p.s. it has 217k on it and was a one owner truck if that makes any difference

It was running when I got it so wouldn't that mean it works? I've only had one other diesel and it was a Mercedes 300sd that didn't have a lift pump. I have next to no experience with a diesel V8. The guy I got it from said it had a hard time starting but it's been that way for a couple years so I just assumed it was the glow plugs causing it. What's the easiest way to check the pump without cracking the injector lines?

Is it cranking over fast? Any puffs of smoke while cranking?
Load test the batteries while unhooked.
Check the oil and coolant.

Is the glow plug/wait to start light cycling for the correct length of time?
Did you give the previous owner a call for tips and tricks?
On the 94 you can hotwire the lift pump by way of the fuse on the passenger side firewall.
Hot wire the lift pump and open the fuel drain petcock on the front of the engine to verify your getting fuel that far.
Pull the line running away from ithe petcock up to run the fuel in a preferably clear jug or whatever. I use a gallon pickle jar.
See what the fuel looks like.
While you have the lift pump running look for leaks.
You can test the glow plugs for continuity without removing them. I would also check for voltage at the glow plugs. I like to do that with 2 people. I never figured out how to activate the glow plug cycle from under the hood.
Use AC 60G glow plugs if they need to be replaced. There is another worthy brand but I don't use them and can never remember the brand or number.

If the glow plus are good and the lift pump is pumping. Try starting while the lift pump is hotwired.

Do you know the last time the fuel filter was changed?

I use a little in-line fuel pump to suck out the fuel in the bowl. I add diesel fuel, Marvel or Seafoam to the bowl til it's clean.

I'd also be guessing glow plugs from what you've described so far

If the lift pump is running and not pumping fuel out the drain, It still isn't time to condemn the lift pump.

Take the lift pump off or at least the supply side. Hook a hose to the supply side and see if it will suck fuel through the hose before you run out and buy a new pump. The sock in the tank could be plugged.

It was cranking fast but I have to charge the batts. They have gone down from trying to start it. The oil and coolant is at the right levels. No smoke that I noticed. The glow plug light is cycling for about 5 or 6 seconds but I don't know how hot they're getting. With it being a one owner farm truck I would assume the service should be up to date but who knows. The only problem I have right now is no garage to work on it so I can't heat it up to see if that's the issue. Are there any cold start fogger kits available like on otr trucks? What are the passing specs for the glow plugs?

DO NOT USE ETHER

You can try Marvel, Sea Foam, WD40 or similar misted in.

The glow plugs should OHM out close to zero. I think the spec was like .02 ohms or so. If you have a buzzer on your tester it will be going off.

Be sure to use copper coat or some sort of anti-seez when installing the glow plugs and hope the last guy did also.

If you break a glow plug tip off trying to pull it out, after it is threaded out, Put a rag over the hole and try to start the truck. Sometimes the compression will blow the broken tip out.

I'd check the glow plugs first.

It sounds like you glow plugs are short cycling. That is an indication of bad glow plugs.

You can try sticking a hair dryer in the air filter elbow - I'd try that before anything else if you have someplace warm you can take it to work on it.

I'd never guess that a farm truck was maintained. Most farmers I know are terrible on maitenance

What about the injector pump, pump driver or the optical sensor? Are those a common issues with these motors? I checked the fault codes and only got a 12 (no codes present) but the service engine light was on while I was driving it. I only assumed it was a farm truck from the body condition (no rust but fairly beat up bed and tailgate). I'll go and get a set of plugs and a fuel filter today and see if that helps. I figured I'd have to since who knows when it was last done(I was just hoping it would be a while before I'd have to do it!). As for the fogger kit, I know some IHs have a can of diesel starting fluid for cold starts and I'd like to find something similar for mine if there is such a thing.

REport back on what you have done so far.
Did you test the glow plugs?
Did you test the lift pump?
Did you run some fuel through the drain into a container and see what it looks like? Did it have any crud or water in it?

REport back on what you have done so far.
Did you test the glow plugs?
Did you test the lift pump?
Did you run some fuel through the drain into a container and see what it looks like? Did it have any crud or water in it?

I checked the glow plugs but I have cheap meter so no reading.
I opened the bleeder valve and no fuel so lift pump is first repair. Do I have to use an oem pump or can I use a universal aftermarket? If so what psi do I need?

I have to admit that I do keep a can of either in my rig for emergency use only. I have only had to use it one time in my 6.5, a few in my old 7.3 but my procedure right or wrong is the same for using it on any diesel with GP's.

I cycle the glow plugs & then leave the ignition ON & then give a very light sniff while cranking the the motor over emergency's only...using it incorrectly will make a bad situation worse...it is not without risk.

I checked the glow plugs but I have cheap meter so no reading.
I opened the bleeder valve and no fuel so lift pump is first repair. Do I have to use an oem pump or can I use a universal aftermarket? If so what psi do I need?

In a pinch I would get one from a local parts store for a 93 6.5, they are supposed to have a touch more supply pressure/flow from what I have read.

You could hear the lift pump running when you opened the drain valve to check for fuel. Correct?
Did you have the lift pump hot wired?

I always try to use an AcDelco for a 93 but in a pinch you get what you get. The AC's have lasted far better for me over the years.
You will want to do the lift pump/OPS relay upgrade when you get a chance.

When I change the lift pump or similar lines, I try to work the compression nut back on the line a ways and coat the line with never-seez - also the threads on the nut.

It helps to keep them from twisting the line into a pretzel when you change a lift pump next. If you keep the truck that long.

You could hear the lift pump running when you opened the drain valve to check for fuel. Correct?
Did you have the lift pump hot wired?

I always try to use an AcDelco for a 93 but in a pinch you get what you get. The AC's have lasted far better for me over the years.
You will want to do the lift pump/OPS relay upgrade when you get a chance.

I just used the key and didn't hear the pump running this time. I had my brother watching the drain while I cycled it. From what the guy said it's had trouble starting for a while, so the pump is the likely culprit right? Where would I get the relay upgrade and how expensive is it?

Back