• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

93 no start, loud clicking when cranking.

mplum56

Reaction score
Would start and run fine last fall, needs cooling issue fixed so let set all winter. when weather got warmer this spring tried to start before getting back to cooling problem. Engine cranks ok but will not fire and has loud clicking sound while turniing over. Lift pump is working ok (wired direct) plenty of fuel to filter which i just replaced and flows good from T valve when opened. Have 12v to 3 connections on IP, pulled return line off pump and fuel is present but does not squirt or spray when cranked. Dash lights all come on, glow plugs etc. I planned on getting the engine to start and then having someone else do the cooling work as I have limited physical ability thanks to arthritus but I need to get this issue figured out first. Any help pointing me in the right direction would be appreciated.
Thanks, Mike

Well I cracked the 4 injector lines on the DS and cranked the engine, there was fuel at the lines but not a lot, did not spray or squirt. Also disconnected glow plugs and sparingly used some starting fluid. Still did not fire at all, no smoke, nothing. The clicking sound is still there when cranking? Can't tell where is coming from. Even though it started and ran ok last fall could the keyway for the IP drive have failed from just setting? Also the three connectios at the IP are getting 12v with key on, they click louder when energized with a jumper wire from the battery with the key off? I am baffled as what to look at next. I think I might be in over my head. Any help / suggestions to trouble shoot further would be appreciated.
I have had the 88 6.2 for 15yrs. + but never had to do much beyond PM, grounds and minor repairs, so have very little previous exp. to draw on.
Thanks.

You could try running a 12v+ jumper right to the IP on a 93. BTW NEVER USE STARTING FLUID. A broken crank or cracked piston will not make for a nice day. If you don't have strong fuel to the injs there is a reason for it. find it.
Ether=Bad
IS the engine cranking over at a decent rpm ? Weak batts, jumper cables, it will not start. Also if it lost prime it will be a bitch to get primed again. When you are cranking it over is your foot to the floor ? It should be.

I would look for bad batts or bad grounds/cable conn including at the starter
If you hear loud clicking when starting its prob the Starter solenoid engaging and disengaging.

You could try running a 12v+ jumper right to the IP on a 93. BTW NEVER USE STARTING FLUID. A broken crank or cracked piston will not make for a nice day. If you don't have strong fuel to the injs there is a reason for it. find it.
Ether=Bad
IS the engine cranking over at a decent rpm ? Weak batts, jumper cables, it will not start. Also if it lost prime it will be a bitch to get primed again. When you are cranking it over is your foot to the floor ? It should be.

Thanks for the help. The Batteries are good, just had them checked at Auto Value and they did replace one at N/C as it was borderline. I did not have the pedal to the floor but will next time. Do I run the jumper only to the term. with the pink wire and should I disconnect the orig. wire first? I had the key off when I tested with jumper before. It seems to be cranking ok but can I use battery charger while cranking and if so how high of setting would be safe. I know the starting fluid is a risky move, I thought if it at least tryed to fire on fluid it would have def.pointed to fuel problem. As I said nothing seemed to be any diff. with the fluid. Will be a few days before I get back to where the truck is parked. Will let know the results.
Thankyou for the help, Mike

I would look for bad batts or bad grounds/cable conn including at the starter
If you hear loud clicking when starting its prob the Starter solenoid engaging and disengaging.

Thanks Bison, the batteries check out good and it cranks steady. I have checked all the grounds I could find but am still keeping a look out for more. I will def. double check the starter wires, bolts etc.. Since the starter is turning the engine steady would the solenoid still be suspect RE: the noise when cranking? Also clicking may not be the best word to describe my noise. Makes a more solid sound than an electric noise I think. The click or clank has kind of a metalic sound, it is steady when cranking but not as fast as the cranking rpm.

Disconnect the pink wire and hook power to it for testing/starting purposes. if you did not have your foot to the floor while cranking, I think that ma be your problem. If it drained back(common with worn DB2's) you need max fuel delivery(foot to floor) to get it going. Batt charger is "ok" but makesure the batts are charged and your not pulling form the charger. I suspect trying to start it without the accelerator depressed is your issue. You'll never get'er going like that. Loosen as many IP lines as you can easily get to(4 drivers side and front one pass side) then crank the hell out of it with your foot to the floor. Once you see some fuel at the injs lock em down, foot to the floor, pray...:D You won't see fuel flying out of the inj lines when loose. no pressure there until the lines are tight again and the iP is not delivering that much fuel where it's gonna come spraying out like mad so don't expect to see that.

"The click or clank has kind of a metalic sound, it is steady when cranking but not as fast as the cranking rpm."

Sounds like a crack flex plate. May have been cracked before but if it started quick then you may not have heard it.

Thanks for the advice guys. I have not been online or had a chance to work on the truck again due to some health problems. Hope I did not appear rude. As soon as I am able to get back at it I will post my results.
Thanks again, Mike

Back