• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

90 degree gear drive wear

WarWagon

Well it hits on 7 of 8...
Reaction score
I am working on a 12 DJC Onan 12KW generator and have severe wear on the gear drive for the injection pump. The camshaft gear that drives the pump is available and replaceable, but, the injection pump gear is unobtainium. I bought a parts set just for the injection pump, but, it's starting to show wear although not as bad.

It's a big job to rip the camshaft out to change one gear. :banghead: I am not thrilled to use parts showing wear.

Is there a coating that could be applied to the used IP gear to help? Or would I just coat a new camshaft gear and run the newer pump as-is?

Current set

IMG_1568.JPG

IP

IMG_3380.JPG

IP gear

IMG_3383.JPG

Cam gear

cam gear.jpg

Pump from a parts unit and it's gear wear.

IMG_1576.JPG

IMG_1574.JPG

I would have just swapped the complete generator out with the parts unit but it drowned in the desert. Water in exhaust.

IMG_1528.JPG

After knocking the rust off it needs to go OS or sleeved. Not worth the $$.

IMG_1530.JPG

I regularly use this stuff.
That new engine will get this as soon as the break in period is over.

I once dismantled a Dodge 360 engine, 250000+ miles. The PO bought the car new and used it on the road. As soon as the break in period was accomplished He went to using a Standard Oil product that was moly lube enriched.
That was a mistake dismantling that engine. Every bearing and the cylinder walls were black and not one sign of scuffing or wear.
IDK if Standard petroleum is still in business, not here they are not, so I guess this is the next best thing to that product.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
The cam gear is replaceable as part of a big job. The IP gear is able to be removed from the pump, but, it's the part I can't get new. The gears are the only item needing repair.

My question is coating a new cam gear going to do any good with the existing IP gear wear?

That's an odd way to drive an IP. I've not seen this setup before. I wonder if something could be made to replace the IP gear. maybe of a softer but hard material that wouldn't wear the cam gear out. or vice versa. maybe something made from billet aluminum

Back