• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

8 lug front wheel bearing assemblies. What to buy?

I may be able to get pictures of this one when I take it apart. Guess I should have got pictures of the 98. The drivers side completely lost it's guts. Total wobble out.

I ordered ACDelco's off Amazon Left/drivers side - FW244 - $344.87 and Passenger/Right side - FW245 - $325.45

Can you buy just the bearings or do you have to buy the whole hub assembly?

Can you buy just the bearings or do you have to buy the whole hub assembly?

Hubs are sold as a sealed unit. Buy GM, SKF or Timken.

There are tapered roller bearings in the hubs though.. although I've never heard of anybody replacing the bearings, races and seals themselves..

I saw one guy post that he replaced the guts on a forum.

So far the AC Delco's are holding up. About 20,000 miles each so far.

Hubs are sold as a sealed unit. Buy GM, SKF or Timken.

There are tapered roller bearings in the hubs though.. although I've never heard of anybody replacing the bearings, races and seals themselves..

These IRS bearing assembly's have gotten a bad rap for short life. To the point of guys converting them to (shudder) solid axles. I think its just another case of junk import parts or shoddy rebuilding. That 4x4 show on power block went far to perpetuate the line that you will be changing these yearly.

Check RockAuto and Amazon for prices on Timken bearings. They're really good prices, and Timken is a quality bearing.

Followed those points pretty close. I torque just about everything
Those 4 bolts (GMT400 4X4) that hold the unit bearing to the knuckle from the back get 133 LBS/FT :eek: and the spindle nut 165 LBS/FT :sick:

Except for a few anal retentive's like me :hihi: I cant help but wonder how many actually get out a good torque wrench and do it right.
The Jesus nut on my Dodge's pinion is like 200 LBS/FT. Tightening that one hurt in my ribs the next morning. :eek:

Back