• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

8 lug front wheel bearing assemblies. What to buy?

jrsavoie

Recruit
Reaction score
Do not buy bearings from Wheel Bearings Inc. Made in Michigan.

3 out of 4 that I put on the 2 Suburbans have puked in less than 20,000 miles.

Looks like my choices are Timken, National, SKF or OEM

Any recomendations?

The originals lasted 200,000 miles plus.

How are they failing? Possible brakes hanging up and burning the grease up?

That was my original suspicion on the 98 Suburban. The right bearing just made noise and was loose. The left bearing was on fire.

The 96 had a vibration at about 73 mph. Surprisingly not in the steering wheel. May have been unrelated but It led me to find the bearing problem. Noticed improper wheel movement when the Suburban got jacked up to run and look for the vibration.

How are they failing? Possible brakes hanging up and burning the grease up?

I got the Timkens. 10K miles on them, but that's in SoCal. Do not use their website to order as it's F'd up. Call them with your vehicle specs to get the right parts. They definitely have good prices.

Timken, SKF and National are all of good quality, and I have suspicions that they're the same bearings in 3 different boxes in most cases...

If I got 200K out of the stock OEM bearings, then I would go with stock OEM again. The Timken's are good also. Any photos of the bearings that are damaged?

Timkens here through RA. So far 200 miles. Time will tell.

For now I would trust the quality. Have used Timken in everything I own.

Hard to see the innerds of the bearing son a failed one, would have to take the hub apart to see the actual carnage.

Back