• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

6.5s getting ragged on...

Yeah, i get flack everyday, from my dad and freinds. THey all say its a unreliable p/o/s. Which, yeah ok its unreliable, its got 207k on it and i start it with starter fluid all the time due to the lack of g/p's. It leaks a ton of oil, but runs damn good when it runs. It was beat hard befor ei got it. But after this engine swap i hope it flies. I need to show some poeple up around here, they are all smack talkers...

Yeah, i get flack everyday, from my dad and freinds. THey all say its a unreliable p/o/s. Which, yeah ok its unreliable, its got 207k on it and i start it with starter fluid all the time due to the lack of g/p's. It leaks a ton of oil, but runs damn good when it runs. It was beat hard befor ei got it. But after this engine swap i hope it flies. I need to show some poeple up around here, they are all smack talkers...

My truck is a lot of things, but unreliable it defanately is not. In fact, everyone who smack talks my rig have vehicle problems too, and they don't drive nearly as often or as frequent as I do. Not to mention my truck actually does work.

Screw them. The 4-5k you're putting into the truck will last you a LONG LONG time. Not to mention do A LOT of work.

was on a job yesterday with a contractor who has two trucks both with 6.5s. a 94 and a 2000. I was looking at them saying ahhh 6.5s. He said he hates them and they were gutless smoking pigs. He likes powerstrokes better. Well I opened the hood on the 94 and there was the PMD sitting on the intake(ss style). Oil soaked all around the turbo and I told him they are good engines but the problem is no one knows how to work on them.He seemed unconvinced so I headed into work about 20 mins early today with my 95. I stopped by his job and took him for a RIDE :) .Damn he was in disbelief. I gotta make him a list of goodies he should be getting. The only thing I feel funny about is I never did the Heath reflash on OBDII. Is it a PIA with the security thing and stuff ? I know My OBD1 went right in without issue. He also told me he used a NAPA thermostat in the 94. No overheating issues but I still told him get rid of it and go delco.

Ace, my first post here and stumbled on this from the other site. I have a '95 Suburban 2500 4wd with 6.5TD. Did the '97 cooling system upgrade, new down pipe and cat-back exhaust from Banks. Gauges include turbo boost, EGT, and tranny temp on the pillar. Pretty much stock. I have the oil soaked all around the turbo. What's causing that? I'm replacing the wastegate solenoid today as I've been having boost loss issues at inappropriate times. Vacuum pump was replaced 2 years ago and vacuum lines were replaced last year when they broke.

156K miles and love the simplicity of the engine. Once you know the issues, they're a breeze to work on.

Curious about the A-Team Turbo. Do you need an after cooler or inter cooler on the engine to get the full benefit? If I added an aftercooler, would I be able to reprogram the A-Team Turbo for higher boost?

Steve

You'd be better off checking out the ATT thread.ATT afaik doesn't really need or work well with an IC but again, wrong person to ask. I'm not the one to answer questions on that. Oil around the turbo AFAIK is usually either oil seal on the turbo, CDR problem or excess blowby. There is a sticky I think on checking the cdr(kinda like the 6.5s PCV) A little oil around there on a high mileage motor is normal BTW. If there's tons I'd see why. Leaking oil seal on the turbo not good. Check for that first. Vac setup for the wastegate IMHO sucks. Turbomaster is the way to go but you need a chip or a boost fooler or you'll code if you go over I think 7 psi. Boost issues at inappropirate times is why the factory system leave alot to be desired. I believe this is the thread that will help on ATT.
http://www.dieseltowingresource.com/showthread.php?t=2015

Back