• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

6.5s getting ragged on...

Acesneights1

Reaction score
was on a job yesterday with a contractor who has two trucks both with 6.5s. a 94 and a 2000. I was looking at them saying ahhh 6.5s. He said he hates them and they were gutless smoking pigs. He likes powerstrokes better. Well I opened the hood on the 94 and there was the PMD sitting on the intake(ss style). Oil soaked all around the turbo and I told him they are good engines but the problem is no one knows how to work on them.He seemed unconvinced so I headed into work about 20 mins early today with my 95. I stopped by his job and took him for a RIDE :) .Damn he was in disbelief. I gotta make him a list of goodies he should be getting. The only thing I feel funny about is I never did the Heath reflash on OBDII. Is it a PIA with the security thing and stuff ? I know My OBD1 went right in without issue. He also told me he used a NAPA thermostat in the 94. No overheating issues but I still told him get rid of it and go delco.

gotta save the 6.5's damaged reputation. I surprised a 6.0 guy with my truck. His was more like the gutless pig. I think he must have gotten a retarded tune or something because i thought his truck would smoke mine. Mine towed much much better as well. Then his excuse was cubic displacement ;)

Nice work Aces, -unfortunately, many think the 6.5 is a POS because of all the little quirky things with the wastegate control issues, the PMD issues, etc.

Not to mention all the other stuff like the weenie factory exhaust.

For what these things cost, and what they can do when in good tune, I just can't imagine owning anything else. My neighbor down the street was down in the dumps thinking his 6.5 was on it's last leg, -you know, all the usual stuff, -malfunctioning wastegate, some bad glows, a lift pump circuit that was funky, etc. After I spent a short amount of time tinkering with his truck and getting it running halfway decent, he is now insisting on getting an exhaust, injectors rebuilt, remote PMD, turbomaster, etc. He rode in my truck and didn't believe it was the same engine as his. He's a believer now! :thumbsup:

The new shiny stuff IS impressive, but the payments that go along with sure aren't.

Glad to hear you got somebody pointed in the right direction, nice job.

Just no way, even if I could afford one, I would spend that much cash every month for what I already have!!

It is amazing that a person can say that a truck is bad because they did not maintain it properly. Even the Toyota Corolla can be bad if it is not maintained.

Aces, great job to becoming the 6.5 ambassador.

Aces. i've had the opportunity to prove the 6.5 to someone once. a friend of mine has a 94 powerstroke dually, stock, 5-spd. i took him for a ride in my truck and he was amazed. :D its a good feeling aint it? :thumbsup:

Kenny I wish he had been with me this afternoon running 100 mph, talking to Slim doing some acceleration testing, I had to stop to put my cell phone whip antenna back up, it's mag base isn't good for 100mph :D

Dude pry open that wallet you can't do it all on the cheap, it's pennies on the thousand when compared to what you have to spend on the durabux, besides I know you Merchies got tons of $$$ :D, what else you got to spend it on, you get 3 hots & a cot when underway.

hahahaha hey Tim read my sig!!! I got the goods, and I'm not complaining. I'm gonna keep buggin ya for your jap turbo, its time to keep this 6.5 moving in the right direction. hahaha as for 3 hots and a cot sorry you had those days in the Navy, in the merchant fleet we roll with a full stateroom with our own head (at least YOU will know what that means!) .... oh yea and getting paid 3.5 times more than I would as an ensign isn't bad either.

as for Navy commitments, I didn't leave my country out to dry either, I'm in the U.S. Navy Reserve, signed that paper 2 years ago. If strategic sealift is ever in emergency status demand, I'll be there.

I say, let them all think they suck. Just makes mine all the sweeter. Ratdog, I'm going to have you build me a motor someday. Wow that is pretty.

Yup 3 hots & cot was real surprise to me where did I go wrong, 1st time I went on a USNS TAKR with private stateroom & head for the 3rd engineer, which is glorifed wiper in duties compared we did as USN fireman or 3rd class PO. Wished I had that union in USN vs what merchies have.

TD07 turbo is on wait and hold, still at Heath we've got some parts to make up intake that need to go there so he can play with it, then I think I'll send it to a buddy with a mech IP out that way let him play with it some, if he ever gets the IP built the way he paid for it to be built that mite be a hot ticket, a IP that flows like a marine IP and a turbo with extra flow capacity

BTW the banter between NM & I is old seafaring lore USN vs MM that has gone on for generations not only is he a merchie but a deckie to boot, I'm a snipe (engineers path) so we have that also but he's a good egg, so I don't let fact he's a deckie bother me much :D .

You youngins out there that haven't started college yet, get with NM and get gouge on Merchant Marine acedemy programs, one of the best kept secrets to getting a degree I think, wished I had looked into it long ago, I'm about 15 years behind in earnings I could have made by now had I fully investigated that path to a degree,

Roger TD, looks like I'll just go for the ATT!! :D

oh and I'm ok with TD as an engineer, they're easy to please, give them a loud dark hole and just send them down there to do stuff. kinda like rats actually... :rolleyes:

Not rats, mushrooms keep us in the dark and fertilize us with BS,

Once all testing is done, the TDO-7 will be sold but just not sure when or to whom, I like ATT more than TDO7 slight bottom end improvement ATT over TDO7

Roger TD, looks like I'll just go for the ATT!! :D

oh and I'm ok with TD as an engineer, they're easy to please, give them a loud dark hole and just send them down there to do stuff. kinda like rats actually... :rolleyes:

we just call 'em bilge rats):h

I'll be leaving the USN in about a year, will have had 8 years then, and was looking at the MM. I remember refueling with them a few times. Looks they were having a better time than us.:D

Back