• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

6.5l td drivability issue's

Budd Comeau

Reaction score
OK so this my first experience with the 6.5l Chevrolet engine.
1999 C3500 2wd 5spd
1ton.
Initially got these codes
P0216
Injection stepper motor fault.
P0236
Waste gate solenoid fault.
P0238
turbo boost sensor to high.
P0251
Pump cam reference pulse error.
P0370
High resolution circuit fault.
P0606
PCM internal communication interupt.
P1216
Fuel solenoid response to short.
P1217
Fuel solenoid response to long
Changed all major sensors.
Lift pumps, fuel filter.
Cleared codes.
Tonight I got codes P0251 P0606
Please tell me what to fix.
Starts right up,idles no miss,1,2,3,4 gear no issues.
5th gear stutters then dies wat a few seconds starts right back up.

That is a stack of codes, that dont all point to one item.
Start by removing and cleaning all the grounds to engine, especially the ones by the transmission dipstick mount. both ends of battery ground cables.
Weak or intermittent ground will send things crazy.

Have you relocated your pmd to the bumper yet? If so what extension cable did you use? Have you tried your spare pmd yet?

There is more to chase but that is where I would start.

That is a stack of codes, that dont all point to one item.
Start by removing and cleaning all the grounds to engine, especially the ones by the transmission dipstick mount. both ends of battery ground cables.
Weak or intermittent ground will send things crazy.

Have you relocated your pmd to the bumper yet? If so what extension cable did you use? Have you tried your spare pmd yet?

There is more to chase but that is where I would start.
Yes did pmd relocation.
As stated I changed all major sensors.
Changed both lift pumps.
Cleared codes.
Read test drove .
Got P0251
Pump cam reference pulse error.
P0606
PCM internal communication interupt.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Yeah, you could be chasing an IP or ecm, but ecm is crazy rare and IP is the most commonly replaced under error and still have same problem for this engine. Correct all the grounds - assume they are bad- dont just glance at it- and I forgot to mention ecm grounds also.
After that try your spare pmd.
No other problems like loss of other electrical circuits?

Changing all sensors is generally a way to add new problem to the mix. New defective sensors happen too often, and now a second problem makes it harder to find the original issue. Most sensors can be tested via ohm meter and it’s worth it to not make things harder. When I get a bunch of miles or years and want to out them, I do it when everything is running good and do one at a time- But only because I learned the hard way and chased my tale for several hair pulling, wrench throwing, sailor talking hours. Haha.

Yeah, you could be chasing an IP or ecm, but ecm is crazy rare and IP is the most commonly replaced under error and still have same problem for this engine. Correct all the grounds - assume they are bad- dont just glance at it- and I forgot to mention ecm grounds also.
After that try your spare pmd.
No other problems like loss of other electrical circuits?

Changing all sensors is generally a way to add new problem to the mix. New defective sensors happen too often, and now a second problem makes it harder to find the original issue. Most sensors can be tested via ohm meter and it’s worth it to not make things harder. When I get a bunch of miles or years and want to out them, I do it when everything is running good and do one at a time- But only because I learned the hard way and chased my tale for several hair pulling, wrench throwing, sailor talking hours. Haha.
Well I guess I'll be playing in the cold chasing ground issues.
Haven't had any electrical issues any where.
Wait a minute almost forgot.
Had it towed.
Had to remove winch from front receiver didn't tighten cables back all the way tight.
Could that have caused ecm issue's?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Geez, did you buy a lottery ticket?

P0236 Wastegate Solenoid and P0238 Turbo Boost are related. Typically when your boost is high is when your turbo wastegate is not working. Solenoid could be bad. Vacuum Pump could be bad. Vacuum lines could be disconnected or leaking.

Geez, did you buy a lottery ticket?

P0236 Wastegate Solenoid and P0238 Turbo Boost are related. Typically when your boost is high is when your turbo wastegate is not working. Solenoid could be bad. Vacuum Pump could be bad. Vacuum lines could be disconnected or leaking.
In the other thread, suggested a vacuum gauge and checking the vacuum pumps output.
After checking vacuum on My truck, it was good, cleaning ALL grounds, cleaning EVERY TERMINAL UNDER THE HOOD and still getting codes, rechecked vacuum at the pump, getting only five inches, new pump, problem solved.

Wastegate solenoids do go out. From what I recall, there's a ball bearing in the solenoid. It gets rusty and the solenoid stops working, leading to overboost detected by the boost sensor. That could be your 236 and 238 codes.

When the vacuum pump goes, typically you can hear it knocking. Presumably that's a bearing that went out.

Wastegate solenoids do go out. From what I recall, there's a ball bearing in the solenoid. It gets rusty and the solenoid stops working, leading to overboost detected by the boost sensor. That could be your 236 and 238 codes.

When the vacuum pump goes, typically you can hear it knocking. Presumably that's a bearing that went out.
On the vacuum pump removed from My truck, the diaphragm appears to have separated from the center rod. I pulled the actuator from the diaphragm housing, the excentric rolls as smooth as can be. Pump made no noise at all, at least to My deaf ears. LOLOLOL

Back