• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

6.5 to vm638

All of the VM engines with modular heads had this head cracking issue when I looked into them. It was just the nature of the beast as one would say. I believe it had to do with how the coolant circulated(or lack there of) from the individual cylinder heads, and the loss of material between them to absorb and deal with heat. Another one of them great designs in theory, but in reality didn't pan out.

He is pulling the 6.5 out because of cracked head...... The VM has much more torque and is built much better. Looks like a Cummins on the inside.

He is pulling the 6.5 out because of cracked head...... The VM has much more torque and is built much better. Looks like a Cummins on the inside.

I realize he is replacing teh 6.5 with this engine, but the VM engines with individual cylinder heads are known for cracking heads(he even says this earlier in this thread). And the head cracking issue is why I ruled them out for mine.

Complications of the accessory mounting brackets. While I'm making stuff, going ahead and putting a/c compressor on too. Fun fun!

While I was glancing at some pics of this engine, it looked a lil long and tall... Is there gonna be any interference problems withe the front crossmember or front differential..?

No height issues mike. It isn't that tall. It is long. Gotta slide the trans back about 2 inches... so I can use my dodge fan.
clears front axle nicely. Power steering pump was hitting my steering gearbox. Figger if I'm doin this, may as well do it rite!

I realize he is replacing teh 6.5 with this engine, but the VM engines with individual cylinder heads are known for cracking heads(he even says this earlier in this thread). And the head cracking issue is why I ruled them out for mine.

The cracking could also be due to all the heat cycles put on from previous application. Seems like new heads don't have as much issues.

This is why it takes cumminsfever so long to do anything,this is his "secret squirrel " work station.:rof:
attachment.php

it looks like my tool chest...:hihi: beat you to it Bill ;)

So, I got to thinking about my cast iron flywheel, and how thin it got when we machined it. Less than a 1/4 inch thick. Got told by a few people that have experience that it will shatter. I need a reliable vehicle...

So... Monday, we make a flexplate. This should be fun! Never did this before!

This is what the square plate turned out to be...

2013-01-30_10-33-13_821_zpsa6b669c4.jpg

Then, we had to make the center hub. It started life as a 4 1/2 inch round chunk of 4140 steel...

2013-01-30_14-40-53_60_zps7f1f5e8f.jpg

This is the finished flywheel... Converter side...

2013-02-01_18-21-36_986_zps93ed31f4.jpg

And this is the back side...

2013-02-01_18-22-15_189_zps98cb326e.jpg

And this is the converter side with the centering piece laid in place...

2013-02-01_18-21-58_268_zpsf11c9cb3.jpg

Back