• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

6.5 TD Lift Pump

I feel the same way GM Guy. I have to replace my float assy in my tank anyway - gauge always reads full. So I am going to remove the sock and put an external filter on the truck. i'm only replacing what I'm replacing to make the truck, or attempt to make it, break-down-in-the-middle-of-nowhere proof.
If I remember correctly, the gauge goes to full when the ground is removed. Are you sure, you do not have a bad or broken ground?

FWIW been running the same Heath LP for nigh on 10 years now. Gauge currently shows 4-5PSI heavy 8-9PSI light. No idea what it was out the box no gauge installed back in 2006.

Anyone figured out what Heath is using, the Delphi?

Cheers
Nobby

Years back from my sample piles and between myself and 2 other Vegas customers of his, we compared and found one was a delphi and the other other 2 ac Delco.
Whether his supplier swapped without him knowing or him making a decided change?

Side by side comparisons in stamping/ assemby was all we compared- we didnt cut apart and compare insides.

He is relabeling one of them and selling it for $100. If someone is a loyal customer of his - they should buy it from him. I prefer the free exchange of knowledge and ideas for everyone that does not have a bunch of extra cash laying around. Then his customer could just buy some of his other stuff like his turbo master- which is very nicely made, (way better than my hack together one) and just give him a tip. Better cashflow or him anyways from no $ lay out for parts and stickers.

I've had a 4 people (from here and other forum) ask me on my opinion of buying his merlin ip. I told them all same thing- no clue, no opinion. The one consistant thing is, they are all worried they are just paying a big markup of a readily availabe ip, with a sticker slapped on - like his LP, or cooling system kit, etc. because he wont share any info on anything and just hypes up whatever he is selling at the time. I'm afraid his own sells tactics are what costs him a lot of sales from deep pocket cusomers.

A lot of knowledge and experience in his shop. And I dont think he is ever out to rip anyone off.

I dont like when autoparts are relabeled- if airtex has a recall for starting fires will the Preditor Motorsports, a hummer specialty shop, customers know to change it before their kids die in a fire? Or will they think "Glad I dont own that and have the PM brand"? If they were disasmbelling the pump and altering it- then ok. They know the specs.

If you call Melling about the 6.5 oilpump you own and ask if they make it- they tell you yes and can ID it and warranty it. A proper rebranding is not hidden from the end customer upon asking the rebrander. It's a law for a reason folks. My 2cents- currently worth less in this economy.

OK well a little update. Ive been looking into the FASS DRP series pumps. It looks like an awesome pump, but the only thing that concerns me is its NOT Flow On Fail (FOF). I talked to FASS to confirm this.
Can someone test this by unplugging theirs and see if engine dies/stumbles? Maybe the reliability of the FASS makes it a mute point?
I could probably come up with a bypass incase pump dies, but this involves more complexity and more tech support to tell customers how to install it.

Their Titanium series is FOF. But cost more and is a much bigger package.

Other than that yeah DRP is a nice system, Im an authorized distributor for FASS so if you see something from them you need let me know.

When I googled "Fass DRP-2, flow on fail," your excellent write-up did pop up (I read it when it first came up, nice job. You ought to copy it over here too). Anyway, the primer verbiage said, "A simple flow-on-fail backup in case of pump failure; Replacement parts readily ...FASS DRP-02 High Performance Diesel Fuel Pump." ... time to pull the fuse and see if you got what you hoped for. ;-) poke poke. I know the AD I'm running is flow on fail but that's another thread.

Thread created : http://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/threads/fass-ddrp-drp-lift-pump-install.45709/

This is a picture of the Airtex LP I bought. Identical to the Carter, and, I'm sure others. Only so many manufacturers are making this pump, because the demand doesn't interest others to invest in the cost of manufacturing them. Several of the companies LP's are identical in appearance, even the labels on them. Arguing which brand is superior is a waste of time. Don't buy a $10.00 LP. and put a filter on one of the brands known to offer quality products - as is required - and maybe you won't end up with 3 or 4 of them on a shelf in your garage. And, do not disparage a brand if you didn't put a filter on it and it crapped out - that's on YOU not the pump.

As an aside: I get a LP prefilter from my commercial auto parts supply house for $3.05 each. Same filter is $10.00 + shpg on line. It's a Baldwin BF836, and cheap enough to change when I change the oil or the main filter under the hood. I buy them 3 at a time for the price of one on line. Cut the pipe behind the LP and use a tubing bender to offset the fuel line so the filter lays just off the frame. The fuel line will support it, and it comes with the required rubber tubing to install in the line. You shouldn't need pictures to follow, it's simple.

Attachments

• 20161013_122248.jpg
    20161013_122248.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 9
  • 20161013_122148.jpg
    20161013_122148.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 10
Back