• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

6.5 stopped running

Toddketcham

Reaction score
This has me stumped....just as I arrived home from a 300 mile road trip my '95 6.5 TD just shut off and would not restart. Checked it out and the LP was not running. I jumped the relay and got fuel flow at the T valve. Still no start. Plugged my spare relay in and still no LP. That's when I realized the fuel pump relay was not activating. What activates the fuel pump relay? Where does that signal come from? Grounds are clean, new GM OPS, new GM CPS. All the fuses test good. Anybody have any ideas? It did throw a DTC 43 which is low fuel temp.

I did start there. OPS is less than a week old and it's AC Delco. The fuel pump relay does not energize with the glow plug cycle and it should. Since I posted the first time I discovered that terminal D at the PMD does not have 12v w/ key on and it should. Didn't have a helper to ck for bout 1.2 v at terminal A while cranking. This truck pulled 6000 lb to Barber Motersports park flawlessly and just shut off in my driveway. Least it got me home. Lol

I did start there. OPS is less than a week old and it's AC Delco. New parts DON'T MEAN GOOD PARTS!!! The fuel pump relay does not energize with the glow plug cycle and it should. No it won't run with the glows on 1995's or 1993's. Not sure of the confusion on that, but, I have traced the wireing harness out of a wrecked 1993 and their ain't a wire to do that. My 1995 never has with lots of things changed for other reasons. Some of the newest 6.5 years close to 2000 may do this. Since I posted the first time I discovered that terminal D at the PMD does not have 12v w/ key on and it should. Didn't have a helper to ck for bout 1.2 v terminal A while cranking. This truck pulled 6000 lb to Barber Motersports park flawlessly and just shut off in my driveway. Least it got me home. Lol

I think you are the 1st to have started in the technical section in a long time. :thumbsup: Notes above. Start over with your troubleshooting after throwing a part at it and failing. New part burned up instantly, was no good to begin with, only lasted a week, or you have a different problem including a problem blowing new parts. With your fuel temp code I suspect electrical. (Grounds or common positive to PMD and fuel heater and no the fuse names are meaningless.) It is possible to have an intermittent short blow the OPS or a lift pump drawing too much current. I had diesel leaking through the wires on one lift pump.

You have fuses under the hood and in the driver door jamb dash side in case you missed any.

To check voltage without a friend either get or make longer probe wires with clips or place the voltmeter on the windshield so you can see it from the driver seat.

In case you didn't catch it they have a voltage flowchart on the 500.pdf.
http://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/sh...ge-DS-6-5-DB2-5-7L-info-online-from-Stanadyne!

Is your PMD relocated and to what location? If so where did you get it and the cable? Some cheap made in China cables out there and they let you walk when they fail.

Back