• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

6.5 Power Loss

Trainedpro

Reaction score
My 96 suburban is losing power after a hour or so of driving.
I still get plenty of boost and the RPM's increase but the truck does not move.
Temp. spikes 10-20 degrees. Couple people have mentioned "Limp Mode"
does anybody know anything about this?
I'm getting 12-14psi of boost and an occasional P0236 code.
Also, Looking to do a ECM upgrade, anybody use the Heath MaxETorque?
or the SSdiesel supply 80hp kit?
THanks
Nick
1996 6.5 Suburban 217Kmiles
#9 Resistor, FSD Heat sync - remote mount
New waste gate solenoid
New K2500 Wheels

I'm not a tranny expert but if the RPM's go up and the truck speed doesn't I'm thinking in that direction.

Power Loss

The tranny is acting normal.
If I shut the truck down for 10 minutes and then restart it everything is fine.

P0236 Turbocharger Boost System

The computer does not like high sustained boost (for stock computer setup IIRC, 8psi for too long will trigger limp mode). I was not aware that limp mode would make the RPM's go up but it would def. explain the power loss.

If I upgrade the ECM to a ssdieselsupply or a heath diesel one along with a turbo master will this help the problem?

keep in mind that factory program says that high boost along with high IAT, causes the ecm to defuel the engine to keep it from melting. if you go with a heath turbomaster or not, you will definitely benefit---you WILL, I repeat, WILL need a pyrometer to monitor egt's, or the money bet will be a toasted engine. The factory setup keeps you from damaging the engine, upgrades remove some of that protection and leave it in your hands to pay attention to engine performance. take a serious look at some of heaths new tunes. Limp mode is the truck protecting itself when we push it to far.

Stay away from SSDiesel's chip, if you want to run a turbomaster - the Heath Chip and the turbomaster work best together.

They were designed to do so.

You need a boost fooler at that amount of boost. Your truck is cutting back on your fuel to keep in line with the factory boost settings. That is why you are getting the "I feel like I am standing still and not going anywhere feeling in the truck" P0236 code is a too much boost for extended time code. If you can adjust your boost lower it to peak at around 10 psi your burb will run great and not blow your gaskets through your hood! Can post a $5.00 manual boost controler I made for my burb if you don't have one.

You are running on the stock vacuum wastegate actuator or a manual one? See in your sig a new wastegate solenoid, but the truck should not get that much boost if running on stock vacuum actuator. That is unless your actual wastegate is actually stuck closed inside the turbo.

Your truck is cutting back on your fuel to keep in line with the factory boost settings. That is why you are getting the "I feel like I am standing still and not going anywhere feeling in the truck"

Could this happen even when there is no SES light? I have peak boost about 17 PSI and still no SES light? :eek:
I installed "adjustable resistor controller" witch has #3, #5 and #9 with extra little bit (82Kohm). After this there has been no code about over boosting...

Doesn't the torque convert unlock with limp mode / SES. If so that would explain the increase in RPM w/o speed.

Ama I think you are a different problem maybe more feeling with heat soak IAT, ineffeciency of turbo drive/boost, or other "soft code" that may unlock torque convert too. Just a different feel of power/fuel linear relationship due to ineffeciency of turbo/IAT ???

Could this happen even when there is no SES light? I have peak boost about 17 PSI and still no SES light? :eek:
I installed "adjustable resistor controller" witch has #3, #5 and #9 with extra little bit (82Kohm). After this there has been no code about over boosting...

How are you getting 17psi? It could happen and only set a soft code. You are over boosting your truck even if you spend all that money on chips and tm it will kill a 6.5 with that much boost. Back down to around 10 psi and see if it throws a code. If so your boost fooler isn't working because it should keep it from throwing a code.. I think there is a write up on how to build one. If not you are just running out of fuel. And yes it happens, engine asking for too much fuel and pumps can't get it to the engine fast enough. Have you chevcked fuel pressure while driving? If your gonna spend the money get a better fuel pump, has alot to do with set up, and fuel demand and in my opinion I don't think a re-programed ecm is worth that high price unless you plan on some serious towing all the time.

Last edited:
How are you getting 17psi? It could happen and only set a soft code. You are over boosting your truck even if you spend all that money on chips and tm it will kill a 6.5 with that much boost. Back down to around 10 psi and see if it throws a code. If so your boost fooler isn't working because it should keep it from throwing a code.. I think there is a write up on how to build one. If not you are just running out of fuel. And yes it happens, engine asking for too much fuel and pumps can't get it to the engine fast enough. Have you chevcked fuel pressure while driving? If your gonna spend the money get a better fuel pump, has alot to do with set up, and fuel demand and in my opinion I don't think a re-programed ecm is worth that high price unless you plan on some serious towing all the time.

With spring loaded wastegate :) And yes I know that it´s too muck boost. It was at 12psi until changed straight 3" exhaust. After that it jumped there. I usually don´t press so much accelerator that boost rises over 10-12 psi.

100_1078.jpg
Loop bolt with a plate bolted to the turbo and spring............that simple! I can change the spring out to have more boost or less to save fuel.

That adjustable controller sounds like an A1 Customs job... That goes to the PMD/FSD, not a boost fooler.

Back