• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

6.2 offroad toy

I'd say those tires would rub a bit! Lol
Only minor rubbing hahaha. a 4" lift kit would take care of it, but not yet. Might pull the front fenderwells for now to provide the extra clearance that the sawzall didn't take care of.

Driving on the highway it's getting right around 20mpg with the 37"s at 65mph. With no overdrive I'm very happy with that.

haha yes much cheaper than a gear vendors unit. Loss of power but I'm not using the truck for towing often (if at all) so the loss of power is not a big issue for me.

This weekend took the truck out to play around in the desert west of the Salt Lake, near the demolition ranges. Had ALOT of tire rubbing early in the day from both the front and rear. As the day went on the tires made clearance for themselves (mostly) and there's not much rubbing left. Ran at 15psi and had very good traction. Next modifications are removing the swaybar, trim the rear fenderwells some, and pushing the front axle forward about 1".

IMG_20160430_110112738.jpg

IMG_20160430_163825971.jpg

Before I do the mods I need to replace the tie rod. Was able to drive it home as is but my fronts are pigeon toed a bit now.

IMG_20160430_155347013.jpg

IMG_20160430_155401416.jpg

The rock was buried. On approach it looked the same size as that bush directly in front of it. Went to roll over it and the truck kept going higher haha.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I here it's more aerodynamic that way.

I've never broke anything off road, ever. (Wait no video running, right?) yeah, never....

I have no idea why my hummer has the steering wheel 30 degrees out right now- haha.

Reactions: red
Took the truck out again last weekend. Rain made the trail very sloppy and provided the first mud test for these tires on the truck. Excellent traction and they clean themselves out well.

IMG_20160508_121713405_HDR.jpg

IMG_20160508_125806929_HDR.jpg

IMG_20160508_130003949.jpg

Overall pretty happy with the truck's performance as is. Not going to worry about a suspension lift other than the easy-inch up front that will push the axle forward.

The stock rear bumper won't survive for long, I keep dragging it down the rocks and trails.

Ordered a replacement heavy duty tierod with new ends and a replacement wheel spacer, hopefully it's here by thursday. Problem I had with 1 spacer was a couple lug nuts seized to the spacer lugs and sheered the threads off. Planning to head to Moab on friday with friends if the parts arrive in time.

Getting more time to work on this truck lately since the m816 wrecker is just about back on the road, need to repack the wheel bearings and check the brakes on 1 last wheel then it's good to go for awhile.

True, and I might get 6mpg out of it. Cummins NHC250 14L engine (non turbo), 5 speed manual with .78 OD, 6.44 axle gears, and now 47" tall tires. Weighs 36,000 pounds.

IMG_20160503_202845254_HDR.jpg

Older pic with the 43" tires it used to have
IMG_20160403_162740489.jpg

36,000? That's it? I carried that in my lunchbox today.

Let's see...6 pickups weighing 6,000 each that get 18 mpg....shoot that's good mileage!

There's a guy in my town with a fairly modern duece with multi fuel engine. I rode with him across town to pickup steel, and we filled up before and after just to see. He got 16 freeway. Said he did a test city driving and it was 14. Is his a fluke?

For a multifuel deuce that is great fuel economy, my old deuce averaged 12mpg, most get from 9-12mpg.

My wrecker is a 5 ton, bigger and heavier than a deuce. Deuce is about 13,000 pounds (cargo truck) whereas a 5 ton cargo truck is about 22,000 pounds. The newer 5 tons that have the smaller 8.3L Cummins turbodiesel get from 8-11mpg without mods and no cargo.

I'd like to put the m816 wrecker to work for offroad recovery and mobile crane services. 20,000 pound crane with 18ft height/reach, 45,000 pound rear winch (single line), 20,000 pound front winch (single line).

You need to film offroad recovery and make your own "Highway to Hell" show. And skip the fing useless drama - Leave that for the women's soaps.

Haha I do have a helmet camera that I could bring along with me.

Used the pickup to bring a old military surplus trailer home today. This will usually not be towed by the pickup (air assisted brakes and 24v lights) but the k20 might pull it from time to time after I get the hitch sorted out. Tracked well behind the truck and the 6.2 diesel was able to maintain 60mph without complaint.

IMG_20160526_113944557.jpg

Yesterday was mostly vehicle shuffling and moving. With the tie rod damaged it's making for issues with the k20 (tires toed in) so it only made 2 trips from the old house to the new one (rental). Then drove the wrecker to a new place much closer to home.

IMG_20160531_194344951_HDR.jpg

Used the crane to move the heavy stuff out of the garage. One of these days I'll pull the body off the k20 so all the leaks/wiring can be accessed easily.

IMG_20160531_200932828_HDR.jpg

Back