• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

6.2 / 6.5 hybrid

I was under the impression that most people arent even using the 6.2 heads, rather using the stock 6.5 heads? Or maybe im wrong..

Can the stock pistons be ceramic coated? or can they be bought at different compression ratios?

-Nick

The ceramic coating is added to existing parts. As I understand it, it can be applied to almost anything as a spray on coating.

Didnt notice how old this thread was till now!

John, where did you end up purchasing your 6.2/6.5 repower from?

thanks

-Nick

Diesel Depot

I know several people have had a bad experience, but mine has been good.
Other than beating on it some and several near catastrophes from oil cooler failures, it has been a good setup. I should do a bearing check at some point, the last oil cooler incident lost me a few psi in oil pressure.

One thing I hadn't mentioned. They drill and retap the oil cooler lines from the original 3/8npt to 1/2npt.

For those that missed it, the Carnage can be found Here: http://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/album.php?albumid=578

Last edited:
If anything I would put gapless rings in it and change the head gaskets to 6.5 gaskets with studs put in.

On my 6.2's I am running 18 PSI in the db2 6.2 1993 truck. The 1995 has 23 PSI sustained. Both have larger turbo's as the factory turbo overspeeds after 14 PSI and becomes a intake heater.

The coating on the pistons is worthless. I have seen 6.5 pistons melt around the coating on the edges from a failed injector and I burned a hole in a 6.5 piston after scuffing and cracking it from cooling system blowing the cap off and shock cooling the block. Cooling system upgrades are worth more than piston coating. Synthetic oil is extra piston scuff insurance. The melted around the edges piston was from a bad injector and is my avator pic to the left as the piston locked up and the engine kept running leaving a loose rod in the cyl.

I have run the 6.2 bottom end with 6.2 military heads hard. No issues other than the injector clearance is none on the turbo side resulting in me wrapping the headers. The NA 6.2 military precups smoke like hell with high fuel and boost, however, Buddy can tune around the issue and eliminate the smoke. I would recommend 6.5 turbo or at least 6.5 NA precups. I run the 6.5 NA precups in the 1993 with no smoke. 6.2 civilian precups are even smaller as the military doesn't have to meet emissions.

I wouldn't run high boost without studs. But I have 10% grades that go for miles to deal with.

Heads are nice to have the 6.5 design. However with no budget 6.2 heads will work well. Again at least swap the precups if you can and wrap the manifolds. A couple exhaust manifold gaskets help get you some clearance, but, the turbo manifold comes off to swap injectors on the 6.2 heads.

Back