• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

2016 Ford F-250 parts

jrsavoie

Recruit
Reaction score
2016 Ford F-250 Super duty 6.7 Platinum.

Got tires today.

Any opinions on what to buy for parts?

Need brake pads. The rotors look good.

The right lower tie rod end is loose.

Have an oil coated oil pan. What are the likely suspects?

Wife's truck. She's never checked the oil, so I have no idea how much oil it may have gone through.

We just put 60 miles on it and I checked it yesterday - 30 miles after the oil change @ the dealership & it was 1/2 quart low.
I was irritated about that.
Then when I saw the pan was all wet. I was more irritated, be a use they never mentioned it.
I have only ever seen one little drip in the gravel. I blamed the Jeep, but it may have been the truck.

If you Can’t see there is oil at the pan only- then you have to follow upward the oil until there is a clean spot at a fitting/ valve cover.
If you just can’t find one at all, clean it all off then start checking periodically.
I have seen power steering pumps that were leaking and people were replacing pan gaskets. Clean and inspect.

The other option is, and when they don’t do a proper job I don’t feel bad on this one, you loosen the plug slightly. Take it back and tell them it’s leaking. Demand to go under with it. If he doesn’t check the plug you know is loose- you grab with your hand and show its loose.
Let them clean it off like they were supposed to.
Let them top it off like they were supposed to.
Ask them to loosen and retighten the filter.
Check any grease fittings for fresh grease- if none on fitting (they obviously don’t wipe everything off like grease/wipe grease/wipe as he goes around because the pan would be clean) demand they grease while you watch.
Demand they check air pressure while you watch.

Then explain that your time is valuable like theirs is and you expect a proper job next time and expect it free next time. When you are speaking in front of other customers about how they didn’t do a job that could have wrecked your engine- usually they step up to not loose the surrounding customers. Do it calmly, politely, professionally. Don’t be a karen.

If you Can’t see there is oil at the pan only- then you have to follow upward the oil until there is a clean spot at a fitting/ valve cover.
If you just can’t find one at all, clean it all off then start checking periodically.
I have seen power steering pumps that were leaking and people were replacing pan gaskets. Clean and inspect.

The other option is, and when they don’t do a proper job I don’t feel bad on this one, you loosen the plug slightly. Take it back and tell them it’s leaking. Demand to go under with it. If he doesn’t check the plug you know is loose- you grab with your hand and show its loose.
Let them clean it off like they were supposed to.
Let them top it off like they were supposed to.
Ask them to loosen and retighten the filter.
Check any grease fittings for fresh grease- if none on fitting (they obviously don’t wipe everything off like grease/wipe grease/wipe as he goes around because the pan would be clean) demand they grease while you watch.
Demand they check air pressure while you watch.

Then explain that your time is valuable like theirs is and you expect a proper job next time and expect it free next time. When you are speaking in front of other customers about how they didn’t do a job that could have wrecked your engine- usually they step up to not loose the surrounding customers. Do it calmly, politely, professionally. Don’t be a karen.
This is the first dealership I've been to that didn't give a vehicle a quick wash when serviced.

I had a similar experience last fall with my 2006 Chevy 2500HD. Before deer season I took it to the Chevy Dealer that I have used for years. I bought my truck there in December 2005 and a couple of sports cars there way back in the 1980's. I didn't want to fool with crawling in under it changing the oil so I decided to take it by there like I have for the past few years. Due to the small amount of miles that I put on the truck I generally just change the oil once a year. As far as I can remember I've never really had any issues with them other than after they rotated my tires they left some of the lug nut covers loose on the center caps. Anyway, I had parked my truck in my house garage after the oil change and I backed it outside one day to go somewhere. I noticed a spot of oil about the size of a quarter on the concrete floor where the truck sits. I cleaned it up and figured that the person that changed the oil didn't wipe off any spilled oil that might have been on the shield that's under the engine. I checked the oil and it was full, so I decided to go by the car wash and hose it off under the engine. I parked the truck back in the garage and didn't think much more about it. I should have backed the truck out and looked at the floor but I didn't, my bad, flame me. I did check the oil again and it was full so I thought its good to go. Days later I left going to Deer camp, which is about 242 miles away. I called my wife that night and she said that she saw a puddle of oil or fluid where I park my truck. Some bad words rushed through my head, and I told her I would have to check it out the next day. I started wondering maybe there could be something other than motor oil leaking such as the transfer case finally got the pump rub and its leaking. The rest of the night I would analyze what my next move would be if the transfer case was leaking. The next day at lunch time I put a piece of outdoor carpet down on the ground to avoid chiggers and ticks. I pulled the truck up on some wooden blocks, enough so that I could crawl my big butt under there. My hunting buddy was there for assistance and moral support. First glance I didn't see anything on the transfer case so I crawled further up under there so I could see the oil filter. Then I spotted the culprit, there was a drop of oil on the end of the filter. I said a few curse words, but in a way I was glad that it wasn't the transfer case. My hunting buddy gave me some paper towels and I wiped the oil off the filter. I took my right hand and I turned the oil filter real easy, not much effort at all. It appeared that the yo yo that had changed the oil only hand tightened the filter, like when the gasket made contact they stopped tightening. I had a filter wrench somewhere, but since I was a little hot under the collar I figured I could hand tighten the filter. I took both hands and tightened the filter one full turn beyond where it was. I wiped the oil filter off real good, climbed out from under the truck and started the truck up. I let the truck run a few minutes, then crawled under there and looked at the oil filter, no visible oil. I later checked the oil level again and it was full. I started to call the dealership and give them an ear full, but I thought, I'm going to deal with it later, I'm off on my vacation, hunting trip. I discussed it with my hunting buddy on the repercussions of me complaining big time to the dealership. Would they discipline the tech that changed it? Would they even give a rats ass? In the future would the tech try and get revenge on my truck for complaining on them? Could the tech already be gone due to another incident or two? Here is what I think is happening these days. Its hard to get good help anymore, seems like after Covid hit no one wants to work. Could be some young kid changing the oil at the dealership and they just don't care. Most of them can't quit looking at their dam smartphone for more than a few minutes. Could have been that the person screwed my oil filter on just to the gasket and got distracted or they went on break? Maybe they were in a bad mood and being an Ass, so they just thought it would be fun to leave it loose?
If I hadn't been out of town, more than likely I would have left the filter loose and driven to the dealership and would have held their feet to the fire. They really didn't want me to make a scene in front of other customers, because when I get upset, I can be very loud. Nope I've not contacted them yet, but probably if I ever take my truck back in there for an oil change, they will sure know about it.

I had a similar experience last fall with my 2006 Chevy 2500HD. Before deer season I took it to the Chevy Dealer that I have used for years. I bought my truck there in December 2005 and a couple of sports cars there way back in the 1980's. I didn't want to fool with crawling in under it changing the oil so I decided to take it by there like I have for the past few years. Due to the small amount of miles that I put on the truck I generally just change the oil once a year. As far as I can remember I've never really had any issues with them other than after they rotated my tires they left some of the lug nut covers loose on the center caps. Anyway, I had parked my truck in my house garage after the oil change and I backed it outside one day to go somewhere. I noticed a spot of oil about the size of a quarter on the concrete floor where the truck sits. I cleaned it up and figured that the person that changed the oil didn't wipe off any spilled oil that might have been on the shield that's under the engine. I checked the oil and it was full, so I decided to go by the car wash and hose it off under the engine. I parked the truck back in the garage and didn't think much more about it. I should have backed the truck out and looked at the floor but I didn't, my bad, flame me. I did check the oil again and it was full so I thought its good to go. Days later I left going to Deer camp, which is about 242 miles away. I called my wife that night and she said that she saw a puddle of oil or fluid where I park my truck. Some bad words rushed through my head, and I told her I would have to check it out the next day. I started wondering maybe there could be something other than motor oil leaking such as the transfer case finally got the pump rub and its leaking. The rest of the night I would analyze what my next move would be if the transfer case was leaking. The next day at lunch time I put a piece of outdoor carpet down on the ground to avoid chiggers and ticks. I pulled the truck up on some wooden blocks, enough so that I could crawl my big butt under there. My hunting buddy was there for assistance and moral support. First glance I didn't see anything on the transfer case so I crawled further up under there so I could see the oil filter. Then I spotted the culprit, there was a drop of oil on the end of the filter. I said a few curse words, but in a way I was glad that it wasn't the transfer case. My hunting buddy gave me some paper towels and I wiped the oil off the filter. I took my right hand and I turned the oil filter real easy, not much effort at all. It appeared that the yo yo that had changed the oil only hand tightened the filter, like when the gasket made contact they stopped tightening. I had a filter wrench somewhere, but since I was a little hot under the collar I figured I could hand tighten the filter. I took both hands and tightened the filter one full turn beyond where it was. I wiped the oil filter off real good, climbed out from under the truck and started the truck up. I let the truck run a few minutes, then crawled under there and looked at the oil filter, no visible oil. I later checked the oil level again and it was full. I started to call the dealership and give them an ear full, but I thought, I'm going to deal with it later, I'm off on my vacation, hunting trip. I discussed it with my hunting buddy on the repercussions of me complaining big time to the dealership. Would they discipline the tech that changed it? Would they even give a rats ass? In the future would the tech try and get revenge on my truck for complaining on them? Could the tech already be gone due to another incident or two? Here is what I think is happening these days. Its hard to get good help anymore, seems like after Covid hit no one wants to work. Could be some young kid changing the oil at the dealership and they just don't care. Most of them can't quit looking at their dam smartphone for more than a few minutes. Could have been that the person screwed my oil filter on just to the gasket and got distracted or they went on break? Maybe they were in a bad mood and being an Ass, so they just thought it would be fun to leave it loose?
If I hadn't been out of town, more than likely I would have left the filter loose and driven to the dealership and would have held their feet to the fire. They really didn't want me to make a scene in front of other customers, because when I get upset, I can be very loud. Nope I've not contacted them yet, but probably if I ever take my truck back in there for an oil change, they will sure know about it.
Stuff like this is the reason we do our own maintenance.

Or just mention it to the SM when telling them what You need done.
“Oh yeah, be sure to tighten the filter to specs this time”.
Then after You get home, check the filter, then, especially the drain plug.

Dealership or Dan’s auto- doesn’t matter. It is the inexperienced that do oil changes…
Ive known guys who were lot boys (strip plastic off new cars, wash, install floor mats, etc.) who never worked on even their own car -get hired into quick change bay. A guy got onto my tool truck and said “I have $120 cash and need all the tools to do oil changes and stuff…is that enough money? I start tomorrow.”

Then keep in mind, Even seasoned pros make errors.

Dealership or Dan’s auto- doesn’t matter. It is the inexperienced that do oil changes…
Ive known guys who were lot boys (strip plastic off new cars, wash, install floor mats, etc.) who never worked on even their own car -get hired into quick change bay. A guy got onto my tool truck and said “I have $120 cash and need all the tools to do oil changes and stuff…is that enough money? I start tomorrow.”

Then keep in mind, Even seasoned pros make errors.
Oh yes we dont. 😖😹😹😹😹

Back