• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

200K and I think original injectors maybe glows?

Crankme69

Reaction score
I'm rolling up on 200K on my 1995. My motor runs very smooth, pretty quiet, starts well, just a light puff when it's extremely cold. The motor has zero blow by and uses about 1 qt of oil every 3K.

I normally plug it in when possible, like right when I pull in from work at night, other then the electric it uses, I see no down side & only improved starting with little or no clatter by keeping it plugged in.

The only thing that ever bothers me is some erratic slight light kind of like spark knock that can be heard under normal acceleration. It's not very loud & I have been thinking it may be normal, but not sure? It also seems the slight ping/rattle what ever it is much less when I add either 2 stroke or 30wt to the fuel.

I have a new oil cooler & lines to install from Leroy that arrived today, my oil lines are leaking.

The motor runs great & I'm avg about 19mpg & starts good. I am not the original owner and I purchased the truck with 191K on it.

I'm just wondering if I should invest in new injectors & glow plugs, not going in that far without changing both.

Question, am I playing Russian Roulette here by holding off on doing the injectors or will it be obvious as hell like with a death cloud when it starts poor acceleration noise & poor performance that will leave no doubt when it needs the injectors changed?

How many of you out there are running original injectors at 200K?

Not that it matters, but my truck is a 1500 and by the general appearance does not appear to have been worked very hard, with what I presume the majority of it's miles racked up on the hiway while only towing a bass boat on some infrequent occasions.

Just looking for some feedback before I leap into the injectors & glows.

More thoughts here to mention I plan to rebuild my turbo and I am also planning to change out my intake manifold to rid the motor of the EGR...that makes me even wonder if I should consider changing out the head gaskets or just wait till they start leaking...:confused:

I plan to run this thing for a while...this is my daily driver, no heavy hauling for the most part. I do run it & roll on about 400+ miles weekly...with all the info & such that ya can gather in the net, I'm really hoping to hear from some of ya high milers out there that can share y'r experiences with me so I can avoid a failure now at the 200K & up milage mark.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and replies & sorry for the length of the post :thumbsup:

Injector replacement recommended at 100k. If you aren't pulling heavy you might get away with it. Injectors and glows are very cheap for the 6.5 verses most common diesel out there today. Burning a hole in the top of a piston would be very expensive.

I replaced mine at about 180k didn't notice any improvement either. Started the same sounded the same etc. I think it could have gone alot longer. BUTTTT I also think there are alot of variables as to how long they will last. I think heavy towing with high egts will rapidly diminish how long you can run them. Another would be fuel quality fuel seems to be pretty good around here I can go an easy 50k on a fuel filter. And yet another would be city diving vs hiway. You get the idea some might only go 75k others who knows problem is you can't see what's happening in there.

I'd replace the injectors. Just to know when they were changed.The harmonic balancer would be very good peventive maintaince. I should have gotten some real close up shots of the pistons in my 93 alpine green project. You could see where the peeing fuel was washing the aluminum away.

I'd replace the injectors. Just to know when they were changed.The harmonic balancer would be very good peventive maintaince. I should have gotten some real close up shots of the pistons in my 93 alpine green project. You could see where the peeing fuel was washing the aluminum away.

I got a question ..... did you reuse those pistons?

My engine runs a lot better with new injectors and they only had 124K hard miles on them. Yours could have been changed or rebuilt at some unknown time already.

Worn injectors pop early, in effect advancing the timing, and can cause the gas engine spark knock. So can a lot of other things like improper IP timing. In any case your ears are correct and the timing is too far advanced for the conditions. A condition of a stuck waste gate could heat up the intake air and cause this as well. So could IP timing being off, electrical issues etc.

If you want to know for sure have your injectors tested and rebuilt. Otherwise be glad the injectors are cheap over the modern ones and simply change them.

A through diagnosis is in order.

Back