• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

2008 Polaris Sportsman 90

DieselCash

Trust but, verify
Staff member
Reaction score
It's not like I already have enough projects going on around here. I went out and got me another one. :rolleyes5:

I picked up this little ATV for $608 with Tax and Title.
Polaris 90.jpg
The reason for being so cheap.
Broke.jpg
Yep, broken swing arm. It looks like I can weld it back together.
If not, they go for around $79 - $125 on ebay.

I worked on this last night for about an hour plus.
I just worked it over with a wire brush attached to a drill.
IMG_1211.jpg
IMG_1209.jpg
IMG_1210.jpg
IMG_1208.jpg
Need a little more done in a couple of spots and I can start to weld it back together.

If you have an angle grinder, removing the old weld will make for a stronger joint.

Looks good there Marty. Just like your camper, it will be stronger than factory when your done with it. :D :thumbsup:

I worked on this last night for about an hour plus.
I just worked it over with a wire brush attached to a drill.
View attachment 40899
View attachment 40900
View attachment 40901
View attachment 40902
Need a little more done in a couple of spots and I can start to weld it back together.

It's hard to tell by the photos, but what caused this part to fail? It appears the break started at the weld seam and then went right up the gusset, but then went across it, instead of following the weld to the end of the part. Was there poor weld penetration from the factory?

It's hard to tell by the photos, but what caused this part to fail? It appears the break started at the weld seam and then went right up the gusset, but then went across it, instead of following the weld to the end of the part. Was there poor weld penetration from the factory?

It was poorly welded and known to break. If you google search this quad with a broken axle it is very common. It usually breaks at the shock mount on the axle.

I got it all welded up, put back together, and it runs good. I can now tell the PO did not take care of this ATV.

It will need lots of love!

Put a couple of hours on this over the weekend. It runs good! :thumbsup:

I washed it up, cleaned the air filter, and replaced the spark plug.

The neutral light was not working. Took off the cover that hold the light. It was just unplugged, cheapest fix yet.

I still need to paint over the welded area.

From what my salesman stated the PO was a overweight, over aged kid. These little 90 ATV's can only take so much abuse before something has to give.

Around here I see a lot of over aged kids on small ATV dirt bikes. legally cant sell anything over a 50 to anyone under 16!!!!!!!!!! What a crock. Granted I understand you can go the other way too. Ive seen a few youngsters on bike WAY to big for them, ie 7-8 year olds on 800's!!!!!!!!!!

Our oldest girls were about 10 or so on a 250 ATV. I made an adjustable block and put it inside the throttle case to limit the speed until they were older. Their legs were too long for a little one, but we made it work fine. No one got hurt and they learned, early, to respect the machine.

Our oldest girls were about 10 or so on a 250 ATV. I made an adjustable block and put it inside the throttle case to limit the speed until they were older. Their legs were too long for a little one, but we made it work fine. No one got hurt and they learned, early, to respect the machine.

Excactly my point!! I have NO issues with they way you did this. I have had my 10 year old on a farmall cub ( had to make blocks so he could reach the pedals) he learned how to shift on it. Same as I did when I was his age or so. Parents need to be parents and know what their kids are capable of handling WITHOUT big brother getting involved. If parents would actually "know" thier kids they would know what they can and cannot handle.

SnowDrift and 625fireman! I am surprised at you! Next you'll want your children to be contributing members of society. Are you going to teach them to take care of themselves instead of being taken care of by the state? Probably teach them to go find others in need of help and to do it without bragging about it to! How dare you not conform to the new society!

Huh Will my kids are already doing just that!! Daughter is 16 and son is 11. Oh BTW my son has his own 10-22. When the sh!t hits the fan in this country hopefully I have taught my kids enough that they can handle themselves and the situation they get into. Isn't that what parenting is about????

A 1949 Farmall Cub is what I learned on. Four cylinders and a whole 12 HP, and a maximum of 12 MPH if my memory is working. I learned a lot on that Cub.

Don

SnowDrift and 625fireman! I am surprised at you! Next you'll want your children to be contributing members of society. Are you going to teach them to take care of themselves instead of being taken care of by the state? Probably teach them to go find others in need of help and to do it without bragging about it to! How dare you not conform to the new society!

We're rebels. We even teach our youngest ones to govern themselves, solve problems on their own levels, and to use their manners. As a dysfunctional family, we eat at the dinner table, together, every night. I even sang the theme song to All In The Family to my youngest last night (true story). I'm pretty sure these things qualify us as a threat to society, too.

(Marty, I'm sorry we just hijacked your thread, but it's all in good taste)

Back to your topic - fat kid should have gotten himself a bicycle, by the sounds of it

We're rebels. We even teach our youngest ones to govern themselves, solve problems on their own levels, and to use their manners. As a dysfunctional family, we eat at the dinner table, together, every night. I even sang the theme song to All In The Family to my youngest last night (true story). I'm pretty sure these things qualify us as a threat to society, too.

(Marty, I'm sorry we just hijacked your thread, but it's all in good taste)

Back to your topic - fat kid should have gotten himself a bicycle, by the sounds of it

Actually fat kid convinced overly rich daddy to purchase him a brand new polaris. I did not care enough to ask what he got. :eek:

Y'all are pretty entertaining.:thumbsup:

A 1949 Farmall Cub is what I learned on. Four cylinders and a whole 12 HP, and a maximum of 12 MPH if my memory is working. I learned a lot on that Cub.

Don
12 hp might be pushing it a little, prolly closer to 10 but its all in the gearing.. dads first one was a 57, I think the latest one is a 48....

Yeap sorry we hijacked thread too,,,sometimes it hard to stop that ball rolling!!!!

On a side note I have a Suzuki 500 4x4 coming into shop tonite, owner says it makes a grinding noise in the rear end when he drives it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I told him to stop driving it DUH!!

Back