• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

2006 Jetta TDI timing belt replacement

Well guys I'm finally about to start this adventure! pulled the Jetta out from it's grave parking spot in the yard, got it in the back driveway and up on stands. Now I'm going back over my research and learning what all I need to do here. Also ordered the crank and cam locking tools, those arrived yesterday, so I think I have everything other than odd parts that I find needing replacement while I'm in there.

Wish me luck LOL....
Good luck on Hitler's revenge vehicle.

Well it was a success!! Pulled everything apart old timing belt was fairly worn, had a couple knicks. Got the pump out and realized it had been leaking for some time. Interesting though we never had to add coolant!!

Followed the YouTube video I posted here in the thread along with finding a procedure write up on the TDI forum. Got the car running, filled the coolant with the bubblegum pink stuff it called for, got it up to temp and realized I forgot about a fuse I jacked from it for something else and the radiator fans wouldn’t work!!

Got that problem fixed, went to charge the AC and as soon as the compressor began putting a load on the serpentine belt it shredded it lol

Had to run to the local “Vato-zone” and get a belt (only place in town that had one in stock). My son and I went out for a test drive.

This is going to be his can now. He got excited and started cleaning it up. Vacuumed it up and will be washing it tomorrow!!

yes it's been sitting since before I started this thread, some time since November or December of last year besides being a spare vehicle. This car took my daughter through college and all her running about, now she's passed it down to her little brother. I'll post a pic of it once he gets it all spiffied up and shining lol.

Back