• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

2004 Duramax WONT START!

clif

Clif
Reaction score
I have a 2004 duramax that i reciently changed the fuel line that goes from my fuel sending unit to my steel feed line.. I also replaced my fuel filter housing because the truck was loosing prime.. I primed the fuel filter without the bleeder screw in and it filled the filter as it is supposed to... Put the bleeder screw back in and tried to start the truck but it wont start.. I left it overnight fully primed and in the morning i checked it and it remained fully primed so it appears that no air leak is present...Iv been told once you have filled the filter (with NO bubbles coming out of the air screw)you put the bleeder screw back in, pumping the filter housing with the screw in can damage the housing, therefore i have not pumped it with the bleeder screw in.... My old damaged housing i have primed with the bleeder screw in, and the truck idles fine but when i go out on the highway it goes into a limp mode where there is a significant loss in power(assuming the housing is the reason) Why wont it start with the new housing!?

I've pumped it with the bleeder screw in many times...never heard that before...

I do it that way too and have never had any problems. Also there is no need to remove the bleeder screw because it has a small hole drilled through it. The owner's manual says to just open it about two rounds so the bleeder hole is open. I always give mine two more pumps after closing the bleeder.

I doubt that you would ruin the fuel filter primer pump by pumping it real good until the primer pumps hard. (you gotta watch what you say here :rof:) I would try and re-prime the fuel system again by forcing the fuel through the lines, being real sure that you get all of the air out of the lines and fuel system, and try starting again. Go through the bleeding process once more. Good advice above, as you do not need to remove the screw, only loosen it a few turns, just to let the air out of the lines.

Can't say as I've ever had any kind of trouble with bleeding (1 or 2 turns out) and then a pump up until the primer pump is hard to push with the bleeder closed. I agree, there's air in there somewhere.

Were the fuel line and filter changed at the same time?

Remember NO ether or starting fluids.

You could also try to have someone crank the truck while you give the primer a few pumps.

Does the security light seem to be working properly?

Let us know how you make out.

I got the truck Running... When I had a friend pump on the primer as i turned it over.... the truck barley started but it did, and idled smooth...i took it down the highway and it was in limp mode (wont rev out, defueling)... And it stalled on me when i drove back into the yard...i drove it for a good 5 minutes.. now again I cannot get the truck to start....When i pulled the two lines off my filter housing..the one that my Injection pump goes to i put my finger on it and turned the engine over... NO vaccum... i also put a bottle of diesel directly into that line and it still would not run.. Is injection pump the issue here?

I replaced the fuel line from my sending unit like i said... but there is no issue in priming from the tank to the filter.. its from the filter to the injection pump is where the issue is... possibley injection pump issues?

It actually is throwing a few codes now I'm not sure if some are old and unrelated but here are the codes: P0089 P0101 P0621 P0700 P1093 U1800 U2104 U2106 U2105. It seems potentially to be my injection pump. What do you guys figure?

P0089 Fuel Pres Reg Perf
P0101 Mass/Volume Air Flow Circ Range/Perf
P0621 Generator Lamp L Ctrl Circ Error
P0700 Tran Ctrl Sys Error
P1093 Fuel rail pressure low during power enrichment
I can't get the U codes as the DTC does not go up that high.

It actually is throwing a few codes now I'm not sure if some are old and unrelated but here are the codes: P0089 P0101 P0621 P0700 P1093 U1800 U2104 U2106 U2105. It seems potentially to be my injection pump. What do you guys figure?

I would clear all the codes first. This way you can focus on what is newly set.

I would clear all the codes first. This way you can focus on what is newly set.
I agree and I also would be suspecting the FPR. I think a healthy dose of air instead of fuel might make the FPR act up. Just a thought.

FPR are common to go on LB7s they are a pain in the ass to
Change. Be sure not to drop the tiny little bolts when installing the
Now one if you change it.

I did clear the codes.. when i finally got it running for a short time, no codes appeared so im not sure if those old codes are a good indication or not

I cleared the codes... when i tired to rescan for new codes none showed up so im not sure if the old codes were an indication or not... When i did have it running, it SEEMED to idle smooth, put when i put it to the floor on the road it would hit around 2500RPM max and then go into limp mode, where it would defuel and wouldnt shift until you let off the pedal and let it shift... Now im unsure if its the CP3 or the FPR..... at this point, the truck does not want to start at alll, and when i pulled the hose from the filter to the CP3... and put my finger on it and turned the truck over there is NO noticeable vaccum

Back