• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

2000 K3500 Gone Mechanical Build

Yes it does. I had an issue when the truck had sat for a couple months where it wouldn't shift out of first gear. I unplugged the controller and plugged it back in and it was fine. Not sure why it did that, it had no codes stored in it or anything. Other than that it has worked without issue.

One thing I want to do, that I haven't had a chance to do yet, is hook up a switch to change the transmission settings. It came with a switch that you could hook in to have two separate transmission settings. How I have it set up now works about 95% of the time. But with a heavy load and long steep grades it doesn't like to unlock the converter soon enough and then likes to re engage it too early. I would like to set it up to where my second setting has firmer up shifts and easier unlocking of the converter. It can be fine tuned pretty well, so I think I can get it similar to like a tow/haul mode on the Duramax's. Just have to take the time to do it...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks great, I likey. And just for the record I like lift kits on trucks too, just not the Hummer for what I'm doing with it.

Impressive update!

Many others aside of myself would love to see your truck on the rollers! Just to see what the 6.5 can do. I am sure the bigger measure and workout is the towing and loaded work it's doing. ;)

So is the current turbo bigger than the ATT or bigger/smaller in the compressor/turbine section?

Thanks for the posting about the IC!
The initial findings were the intercooler added lag to the ATT and that being the biggest complaint at the time won out. I do see where extended pulls the lag is not an issue and the intercooler would help. Tumbleweeds, Coyotes (both kinds), tire parts, and other misc junk going thunk would leave me with short IC life mounted there.

I did get a reminder of the old stomping grounds and why I like high RPM getting my project truck. The grades gave a 2003 HO 5.9 a workout at full power and vivid memories of blowing 6.5 stuff up.

Impressive update!

Many others aside of myself would love to see your truck on the rollers! Just to see what the 6.5 can do. I am sure the bigger measure and workout is the towing and loaded work it's doing. ;)

So is the current turbo bigger than the ATT or bigger/smaller in the compressor/turbine section?

Thanks for the posting about the IC!
The initial findings were the intercooler added lag to the ATT and that being the biggest complaint at the time won out. I do see where extended pulls the lag is not an issue and the intercooler would help. Tumbleweeds, Coyotes (both kinds), tire parts, and other misc junk going thunk would leave me with short IC life mounted there.

I did get a reminder of the old stomping grounds and why I like high RPM getting my project truck. The grades gave a 2003 HO 5.9 a workout at full power and vivid memories of blowing 6.5 stuff up.

The turbo is larger on the compressor size (60 mm vs the 54 I was told the ATT is) and as far as the turbine itself, I don't know how big the ATT is, or how big the housing is, but the housing on my turbo is definitely smaller (14cm) and the turbine is the stock hx35 turbine (also 60 mm I believe, but could be wrong....).

IC location isn't ideal for me either, as I use the truck in fields and woods, so I fear large branches or rigid corn stalks going through it. But, the ic was too fat (3" thick)to fit behind the grill and this was the quickest and easiest place to put it without putting it out of commission for too long. Eventually I would like to get a taller/wider/thinner cooler and move it behind the grill, but this one works well for now so that will probably be a project for when this one gets destroyed or I run out of other things to keep me occupied, the latter being the most unlikely.

I would love to run it on a dyno as well just to see, maybe someday.... With 250,000 miles on it, a harmonic balancer that came apart on me, and all the hauling I do with it, I try not to be hard on it unless it's necessary. Maybe once I get my replacement engine ready I will run it on the dyno with this engine and then again with the new engine and see if there is any difference. I suspect with all the blow by and increasingly harder cold starts over this past winter, that I am losing some power with loss of compression, but I really can't complain considering what it currently can do.

Have you chased the glow plugs for hard starting? I found mine eroding and nearly half burned out. I suspect it is from all the abuse I heaped on it with cranked up power. Haven't seen anyone else ruin Duraterms yet.

I could never tell the power difference with 'on fire' blowby and a good engine with new rings when hauling. They both ran good other than a total overall lack of power for what I was doing. (On the route I towed I could tell you a loss of MPH with precup changes from a blown 6.5 to a 6.2 longblock hybrid.)

Has anyone sourced an IC that will definatly fit behind grill, or is there a thread where this was done?

Has anyone sourced an IC that will definatly fit behind grill, or is there a thread where this was done?
I'll be doing my Ram Cummins CAC/IC install hopefully within the next month.

I was going to use the stock Ram Cummins 2nd gen CAC/IC but found an aftermarket one that is better suited and more efficient too. I have converted from the quad composite headlights to the dual units and header/grill panel assembly as there are no mods needed to lights whatsoever when running.

The Ram CAC/IC the radiator support needs to be opened for the CAC/IC ports to go around the radiator, the washer canister under drivers side battery tray needs to be removed & relocated, can use the Ram CAC/IC piping but 3" ID alloy piping is lighter.

GMT400 AC condenser can be reused however it's best to relocate aux engine oil and transmission coolers to reduce heat load on an already taxed GMT400 cooling system.

http://www.on3performance.com/shop/on-3-performance-dodge-cummins-2nd-gen-intercooler-upgrade/

The turbo is larger on the compressor size (60 mm vs the 54 I was told the ATT is) and as far as the turbine itself, I don't know how big the ATT is, or how big the housing is, but the housing on my turbo is definitely smaller (14cm) and the turbine is the stock hx35 turbine (also 60 mm I believe, but could be wrong....).

IC location isn't ideal for me either, as I use the truck in fields and woods, so I fear large branches or rigid corn stalks going through it. But, the ic was too fat (3" thick)to fit behind the grill and this was the quickest and easiest place to put it without putting it out of commission for too long. Eventually I would like to get a taller/wider/thinner cooler and move it behind the grill, but this one works well for now so that will probably be a project for when this one gets destroyed or I run out of other things to keep me occupied, the latter being the most unlikely.

I would love to run it on a dyno as well just to see, maybe someday.... With 250,000 miles on it, a harmonic balancer that came apart on me, and all the hauling I do with it, I try not to be hard on it unless it's necessary. Maybe once I get my replacement engine ready I will run it on the dyno with this engine and then again with the new engine and see if there is any difference. I suspect with all the blow by and increasingly harder cold starts over this past winter, that I am losing some power with loss of compression, but I really can't complain considering what it currently can do.

Usually non-gated turbines are anywhere from 16 cm for Holset/CKO to way bigger ATT appears to be 22cm as compared to a HX40w 18cm 2 but could actually be smaller due to different turbine housing designs.

short answer, I believe, is "no" Some have done it, but other things need to be moved. I seem to recall someone that did it, as well, with adding electric fans, deleting the mechanical fan, since he moved the radiator so close to the engine.

This is a great thread, 3500_6.5, and it really gets my wheels turning for some things I need to do. you've got a real work horse there. What did you coat the frame with? POR-15, I hope?

Yes it does. I had an issue when the truck had sat for a couple months where it wouldn't shift out of first gear. I unplugged the controller and plugged it back in and it was fine. Not sure why it did that, it had no codes stored in it or anything. Other than that it has worked without issue.

One thing I want to do, that I haven't had a chance to do yet, is hook up a switch to change the transmission settings. It came with a switch that you could hook in to have two separate transmission settings. How I have it set up now works about 95% of the time. But with a heavy load and long steep grades it doesn't like to unlock the converter soon enough and then likes to re engage it too early. I would like to set it up to where my second setting has firmer up shifts and easier unlocking of the converter. It can be fine tuned pretty well, so I think I can get it similar to like a tow/haul mode on the Duramax's. Just have to take the time to do it...

Back