• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

1999 6.5 Won't start.

If so, this could be a failed fuel shut off solenoid....could be.

ya that might be worth a look see. from my experince with the mechanical inj motors any way the timing can be realy out of wack and they still run, not good but they run.

have you tested the glows?

I forget how to do it but there is a way to test the Fuel solenoid, hope fully some one else will chim in with how to.

get us a pic of the stuff in the intake if we can see it we will have a better idea what the heck it is.

ya that might be worth a look see. from my experince with the mechanical inj motors any way the timing can be realy out of wack and they still run, not good but they run.

have you tested the glows?

I forget how to do it but there is a way to test the Fuel solenoid, hope fully some one else will chim in with how to.

get us a pic of the stuff in the intake if we can see it we will have a better idea what the heck it is.

For testing, you can remove the shut off solenoid and unscrew the pintly from the rod. Then put it back in and it's like there's no fuel shut off.

It's for positive shutdown of the engine in a power loss or when the ecm commands it.

It normally closed and powered open. If the coil is gone, it stays closed and no fuel reaches the Inj pump....

Here are some pics of the stuff. Its been 80+ here so I doubt I need glow plugs, but I can test it(just don't know how).

Attachments

• IMAG0046.jpg
    IMAG0046.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 3
  • IMAG0047.jpg
    IMAG0047.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 2
  • IMAG0048.jpg
    IMAG0048.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 2
I am not sure who is the trusted source. A seller on ebay saying it is "tested guaranteed working" is NOT a trusted source. IMO.

Go to some old thread if you don't believe me.

pull the cdr tube and have a friend crank it over while you look at the tube if you get a tone of blow bye you have a problem. my dually had a fog of white when i did this and it has a hole somewhere that its not supposed to be.

i saw this on a truck a while back so im just going to ask. did the PO change the inj, or mess with the inj pump at all? a kid i know got a 95 that would not start, the guy he bought it from had just put a running take out motor (that he pulled and drove into the shop to pull motor) in it and could not get it started so he traded it to this kid for a running truck. any way i did some invetigating and we got good batts on it and i cracked the 4 inj lines on d side and we cranked it over. not much fuel at first and then after a few cranks there was a mess of fuel and it tried to run. so the whole reason no one could get that truck to start was that there was air in the lines

Ok so took the plunged out of the fuel shit off solenoid. Cleaned intake manifold and tried her again. Ran for about 2 seconds but I didn't give her fuel fast enough. Lots of very thick white smoke. I did shoot some ether in there even tho I know not to....

Looks like the compression test or test glow plugs. Are theglow plugs the little things bolted to the engine underneath the objectors? Someone posted here about testing compression through the dipstick ? Any ideas on that?

The "water test" is a round about way of checking compression through the amount of blowby the cylinder has.

It's not going to give you numbers, but a general idea of the rings health.

There's a blog that's pretty good a illustrating how to do it but it's off site and mentions a couple products for sale, so I'm not going to link to it.

But, if you google "heath", "blog" "water" and "test" at the same time, you should be able to find it.

And lay off the ether!

If you want to use a "starter" fluid, use WD40. It won't hammer the rods and bearings like either and ignites easier than diesel....

try it again but dont use the either and like i said crack the 4 inj lines on the driver side. crank it some if it tries to run close them and try it agian

It runs like a champ now. Lots of white then black smoke now clear. So idk bad fuel or that solenoid. Thanks so much for everything everyone esp chevycowboy AK diesel driver and great white. I couldn't have paid someone to be as helpful as everyone is on this forum.

It runs like a champ now. Lots of white then black smoke now clear. So idk bad fuel or that solenoid. Thanks so much for everything everyone esp chevycowboy AK diesel driver and great white. I couldn't have paid someone to be as helpful as everyone is on this forum.

One last thing is you need to either replace the solenoid or put the pintle back on if it's good.

It's the positive shut off if the engine runs away and you need to shut it down....

Back