• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

1993 Gen V 454 7.4L Timing Cover ... Just change the timing set?

WarWagon

Well it hits on 7 of 8...
Reaction score
How do you go about changing the timing set on a Gen V 454? The timing cover... It's 10 bolts. No bolts from the oil pan go into the timing cover like the older 454's.

Or is it 10 bolts and Drop The Oil Pan!? After all it's a 1 piece oil pan gasket that goes through the bottom of this timing cover.

We would rather not drop the oil pan if possible.

Here is a picture of a Gen V timing cover backside. Something it appears there is an allergy to actually taking a picture of.

IMG_8470.JPG

IMG_8471.JPG

Picture of the front for reference that's like a rash all over the place...

IMG_8472.JPG

There is no place for this black rubber seal on this engine. The old seal, left, appears to be from the oil pan gasket.

IMG_8465.JPG

Here is an image of the oil pan gasket that fits in the bottom groove of the timing cover from our friends at RockAuto.

10-10201-01Top.jpg

I have heard folks having to shave a portion of that lip off on the inside of the timing cover to get it back into place. as long as the oil pan gasket is not damaged in that area after pulling the cover off, clean all the oil off real good and use some RTV or some great stuff to make a good seal going back with the cover.

edit: I see the part of the oil pan gasket is already off. just pukey it up with the right stuff along with sealing the seam on the outside with some RTV. let it set up before cranking up and exposing the sealant to oil.

I dont quite rememer how I had got the timing covers back on.
IIRC
I kind of remember setting the timing cover over the frint of the pan, with the gasket in place, then pushing downwards real hard and then pushing the cover enginewards.
Seemed to then align to them two tiny dowel pins and pressed right into position.

Back