• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

1992 Solid Axle Swap

Ha no I understand what you are explaining, I found it is so that all the wheels are the same on a dually but run the same axle assembly. Thanks for your help!

Anyways I talked to the guy with this axle, he won't do less than $550, and it needs brakes, as well as converted over to SRW. If I was really set on a 60, this would be a decent deal but I can see spending that much on an axle when I don't really NEED it. Although I would love to have a 60 over a 44. I would like to do this whole swap for less than $500-$600 using junkyard parts mostly if I can find them.

I have decided though that I would much rather just use a Chevy D44 or 60 and just swap t-cases like David did, also easier to find. I will keep my eyes open...

Hey guys real quick question I know its hard to tell from just me asking but...

I found a Dana 60 from a 1990 f350. Apparently, these are still kingpin axles, drivers side drop, and same spline count etc. It does not come with calipers, or tierods, or track bar, which is ok I can make my own, maybe find the calipers at a junkyard??

Anyways with front Ford springs he wants $600, or I can get that with the matching sterling 10.25 rear, both with 4.10 gears for $750. What do you guys think????

EDIT: these are from a srw truck

The big think on getting parts if it doesnt come with them is core deposits. Most calipers are pretty cheap (can be had for under $30 per caliper for our rigs) But the core charge is almost as much as the new calipers. Calipers are getting to be a throw away item also..

Looks like Rock Auto has them for about $37 a side, luckily w/o a core charge. That's not too bad, those are remans.

Do you guys think it seems like a good deal though??

Seems as it would work just as well as a 77.5-79 D60.

EDIT: The only thing I have found different in my research is that the 90 axle will have a 36.5 inch spring pad width, while the 79 has 31.5 inch. This isn't a big deal as I can always change where the spring pads are, as long as the pumpkin isn't in a different location.

Mmk guys so I did more research and ignore this whole 1990 D60 find, apparently the pumpkin on these is much closer to the drivers side than the 79 and so the spring would probably want to sit right on the pumpkin.

Bummer.

Well I found a 79 chevy 3/4 ton and the ad says it has a d60 up front, I emailed the seller, we will see, I have always wanted a 79 truck anyways.

Hey guys I am back again! It's been quite a while since I have been on here. I come with more questions and updates :)

I finally got an axle, its a SRW Dana 60 from a 87 1-ton chevy, I got the 14-bolt FF rear too as a package deal, as well as the front springs. My hangup is now the t-case.

I got a 208 at the junkyard, as I couldn't find a Suburban with the 241C. Is there some way I could get the exciter ring from my 241 into the 208 and tap the housing to put in my sensor?? I like that the 208 is drivers shift, so I don't have to fab up some linkage for the pass. shift 241C, but the 241C has a slightly lower low range, 2.6 something vs 2.5 for the 208 I think. Not a real big difference. I am having a tough time finding the elec. speedo 241C, which I believe came in 90-91 Subs, and mechanical speedos in the 241C for the 88-89s. Could I do a transplant of my exciter ring in a mechanical 241C easier? I can find some of those, and logic tells me it would be easier than transplanting it into the 208 I have now.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!!!

Back