• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

1989 Mustang LX 302 To 351W Swap

Thanks, i'm trying real hard not to!

Got the clutch and bell all together and the tans along with starter. ARP bolts worked perfect on the crank. Jumped the safety switch pigtail as this new trans cover doesn't have the sensor. Got the fuel rail on with extended rubber lines.

All this progress there was some that was reversed. I installed the truck water neck on the intake. I need a mustang unit which I sold with my old engine. All found out the rubber hose will need to be clamped for the fuel cross over tubes. My tall valve covers are still not tall enough to fit over the poly lock girdle setup. So I'm looking for some cheap covers. Trans rear seal had a small cut in it so I removed it and will get a replacement this week.

Seems like the last steps of the project take the longest buttoning stuff up. Not sure if I will be able to fire this next weekend but I'm gonna try!

I totally forgot to take some pictures...

Summit should have some reasonable tall valve covers.

Thats exactly where i went, wanted to spend $70 at the most, but that didnt happen.

Ended up buying a set of valve covers and a spacer for the intake. These covers are the only ones i found that say they fit over roller rockers and rocker girdle kits. I bought it form summit so if it doesnt i can send it back. Also didnt know how tall of a spacer i should get, so i just went big, eventually i will see if i can lower it. Just trying to get everything so i can touch it off this weeekend i hope. Im kinda worried this spacer will hurt my hp? i hear making the intake runners longer increases torque, but im sure i will have enough of that.

Also trying to find the size of the valve cover to head bolts, im looking to put hex head cap screws in there for a finishing touch!

Attachments

• ford valve covers.jpg
    ford valve covers.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 2
  • spacer.jpg
    spacer.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 2
Well was a busy weekend for sure chasing the last minute parts around! Didnt get to fire the car off like i wanted too. Had to do some re-shaping of the A/C hose as it touches the passenger header. This engine is definitely wider in the bay than the 302. Had to come up with an intake plumbing method to better fit my car. Primed the car and blew out around injector #2. I think my crossover plumbing was hitting the intake not allowing the seal to the top of the injector. Have to take it apart and see what we can do. My hood is also not big enough! I just bought a cheap ram air style hood thats beat for 20 bucks. Im also lucky i went with the 1'' intake spacer, as the intake is real close to the valve covers!

Well was a busy weekend for sure chasing the last minute parts around! Didnt get to fire the car off like i wanted too. Had to do some re-shaping of the A/C hose as it touches the passenger header. This engine is definitely wider in the bay than the 302. Had to come up with an intake plumbing method to better fit my car. Primed the car and blew out around injector #2. I think my crossover plumbing was hitting the intake not allowing the seal to the top of the injector. Have to take it apart and see what we can do. My hood is also not big enough! I just bought a cheap ram air style hood thats beat for 20 bucks. Im also lucky i went with the 1'' intake spacer, as the intake is real close to the valve covers!

Well went over to Dave's and he made the correct style high pressure crossover injection lines for my rail. Big thanks to him! Also got my MM cable in the mail today, looks of very good quality.

Did run into another issue. I removed one of my injectors and the pintle tip broke and fell into intake runner #2! It broke almost equally in half. Im going to try some techniques with the vacuum, im very worried the valve may be open and the tip fell into the slug. Hopefully the piece is still in the head. Im thinking about running a suction tube down the intake runner, possibly blowing air into the spark plug hole to see if the valve is open also. If it fell into the cylinder already i may bring the piston to TDC then try to vacuum it out of the spark plug hole. I have my fingers crossed that one of these techniques will work...i hope..

IMG_20130430_164902_867_zps4e85857f.jpg

IMG_20130501_081530_324_zpsf54b6dea.jpg

^^ This is coming from a guy that has cobwebs under his Dmax go pedal... :rolleyes5:

Yeah right!

But yeah the Ford sounds pretty good I must admit. :)

Well i got the car timed and slapped my cheap beat up hood on it. The hood doesn't fit well and needed to be trimmed to fit (the the intake). Ive been driving it since Saturday.

Drove pretty good for the weekend, had a small coolant leak at the thermostat housing but tightened it up. Rear main seal is already weeping and i replaced it (seems like they always leak!?) The car also stalls out when coasting to a stop or down shift to a stop when you let the rpms down fast, if you ease them down it stays idling.

Picked up a buck/fishbite problem yesterday. Very intermittent, at cruise or acceleration. I swapped out the plug wires and found that one on the drivers rear was hitting the header and burning a hole in it. Since then it hasnt done this again.

I checked the tps sensor out yesterday, it read .42 volts. So i ovaled it out until i got it to .99 volts. The cars idle fluctuates a bit, i had a suggestion to replace the IAC, which im going to save up for a genuine one off of Rock Auto.

I was loving driving this car the past few days! Still some salt residue on the roads here so since the rain is coming again its been parked for now. My brother has a new video of a cruise when it had the bucking/fishbite issue so hopefully he will get that uploaded soon.

Here is a quick ride aorund the block from the other day. My brother made this video with his Drift Ghost HD camera. The sound of the car is faint, and the wind is loud. We haven't figured out all the tricks with the camera yet. This video was to show a few points where the car was bucking/fish biting, which has since been fixed.
If anyone has any experience with this camera let me know how to fix this, thanks!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-0KF4xaxoo

Hard to believe just a few months ago usually you guys are ass deep in snow! Good looking countryside.

I don't have a clue on operating that camera.. Maybe a remote mic or some clever foam windscreen fabrication might help the sound.

Seems the engine there is snappy. :)

Hard to believe just a few months ago usually you guys are ass deep in snow! Good looking countryside.

I don't have a clue on operating that camera.. Maybe a remote mic or some clever foam windscreen fabrication might help the sound.

Seems the engine there is snappy. :)

Thanks! Its a nice place to be, minus the salt and it actually being called New York!

Here are some pictures i had on my phone of the day of start-up:

Here is the broken pintle cap. The top half in the picture was dropped into the intake, and luckily sucked out with a vacuum!

Im now encountering some lopey idle, and some cruising issues in the car. Im going to pick up a new IAC today, i did a few tests on mine (not sure if these are good tests?) and it failed one. So im going to replace it and do a base idle reset. Otherwise the car runs awesome! Still going easy on it due to the new clutch. Cant afford a tune yet, but it will get one in the near future. I need to weed out all these little issues first.

Back