• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

1983 C-30 Restore

joeq

Reaction score
Howdy folks,
Usually my forum projects become diaries, and incorporate many pages, so I'm not sure what'll happen here. Hopefully I'll get some beneficial info for my "clean-up", and members may pick up some useful info. If nothing more, maybe you'll have a good laugh.
I haven't any recent photos of my truck, because it has become embarrassingly deteriorated. It hasn't been high on the priority list, due to it mostly being a yard truck. If I could afford a Gear Vendors overdrive, the situation might be different. (A 6.2 with 4.10s isn't a pleasure on the freeway.) But finances and time have seriously hindered any progress on this truck, since I've acquired it almost 25 years ago. In that time, I've logged 50K on the truck, that only had 50K on it when I purchased it at 9 years old. It's just gone over 100K on the "2nd" 6.2 motor. I'll post the only pic I have of it, when I was towing my father-in-laws 25' sailboat, a few years. This was probably 15 years ago. (The intent of this thread is to show progress restoring this C-30, but I want you to see the truck, in it's "before" state. More to come)
This photo is in New port Rhode Island, waiting to get the boat settled in. As a matter of fact, I'll post another photo of it, on it's way home.

What trans?
I swapped a 6.2 into the 79 c30 I had with the sm465. Not sure exactly which gears it had, higher than 4.10 and it wasn't bad to drive.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Hey Jasper, it's funny you ask what trans, cause I hear about these 465s all the time. I have a factory shop manual, and the tranny in mine they're callin a 117mm, or a 7B4-3. It looks like photos of the 465, so I don't know what to call it. It has the creeper 1st gear tho. And if you ever drove a 6.2 W/4.10s, you would know it. At 60mph, it sounds like the eng. is ready to implode I don't have a tach, so it's hard to say, but 55 is the highest I'll cruise at.

4.56's with nv4500. I don't tow in OD but it runs 60 just fine grossing over 30k.

Heck I've seen 70 in 4th, not for an extended time but it hasn't blown up.

Last edited:
I see your point about not towing in O/D. But you have 4.56s, and at 60 are cranking only a little over 3000 RPMs? you must have a hell of a tall tire. My back tires are 245/75R/16s, and barely squeak out 30" tall.

235's, 31.5ish. Runs 3k towing all day long, governor is 4200rpm and it doesn't bother me to punch it loaded to hit 70 and pass. That's close to 3500.

Well Tanner, you've got more confidence than me. I've got 1 broke piston, and 1 dropped valve so far, with barely 100k on it. I'm not chancing it.

So to continue on, after last years excursion of mending a broke valve and ring set,

and the summer before, rebuilding the entire frt end, exhaust, and frt tires.
my next project is to repair the rotted floors. But because, (as I've mentioned before), not even Rock Auto, carries full floor pans for these square bodied trucks. So I've had to purchase a complete cab, that was also rotted, but the floors were 10 times better than mine. So maybe I already posted this but I cut the floor pan out last weekend, with the intent of doing the minor repairs needed to them, and welding them into my existing truck.

More pics to follow, when I begin the transformation.

Back