• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

06 LBZ

searstractorfan

Reaction score
Who is the "best" vendor for the Dmax stuff?? My uncle has an o6 LBZ and hes gonna hook up a boost gauge and im trying to get him to install EGT, but he dont wanna drill holes...Does anyone sell a boost bolt for the boost gauge? EGT i know we gotta drill it.... Also whats the "best/cheapest" tuner out their? He will use it as a daily driver and a tow rig(40ft box trailer/40ft camper rig will weight about 27,000 with truck and trailer).... He's mainly looking for better fuel economy without hurting the motor(hints why I told him YOU NEED a boost and EGT gauge!!!)

Who is the "best" vendor for the Dmax stuff??

Try dropping a request in our vendor section for what is needed and I am sure one of them will get back to you.....

My uncle has an o6 LBZ and hes gonna hook up a boost gauge and im trying to get him to install EGT, but he dont wanna drill holes...Does anyone sell a boost bolt for the boost gauge? EGT i know we gotta drill it....

There is a part called a Super diesel manifold available to make installing a boost gauge real easy. Again look in the vendor section......

Also whats the "best/cheapest" tuner out their? He will use it as a daily driver and a tow rig(40ft box trailer/40ft camper rig will weight about 27,000 with truck and trailer).... He's mainly looking for better fuel economy without hurting the motor(hints why I told him YOU NEED a boost and EGT gauge!!!)

Here is a very recent thread regarding tuners for the LBZ.....

Thanks!!! did some research and found some prices on a predator, now just looking for that boost bolt or what ever they call it for a Dmax....Gotta search the vendors around here!!

Burning Oil has the boost bolt for the 6.5. PM him and see if it works on the Dmax

You can't put a "Boost Bolt" on a Duramax.. The super diesel manifold is the easiest way to do it. Or just tap the intake manifold...

Link to the thread: http://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/showthread.php?t=17561&highlight=tuner

Here's a copy/paste of my post from some time ago:

I have just completed phase one of a months long completely unscientific tuner evaluation. Thanks to Unit453 and Cougar281 for their trust and support. They will probably have their own thoughts and I would love to hear them also.

The truck involved was an extended cab long bed 2006 Chevy Duramax LBZ. The one in my sig, running Cooper 285s on Procomp 16x8" wheels. Stock exhaust, and stock intake, Autometer Cobalt Boost and EGT gauges.

The tuners involved were: Superchips FlashPaq, Diablo Predator, and PPE Xcelerator. PPE was only tested to level 4, I was afraid for my stock trans.

I'll rank sotp/unscientific test evaluations.

Throttle Response: 1. Diablo 2. SCT(close second) 3. PPE

The Diablo makes the truck feel very "light on it's feet" on the 85 setting, very driveable and responsive, the best feeling tune of any. On the 120 setting, the shifts defueled hard and came early. The SCT on #3 (Performance Level) was a very close second. All levels of the PPE came on much slower and had far less throttle response, my wife called them "doggy"

EGTs (Lower is better) 1. PPE 2. SCT 3. Diablo

PPE was the king of the hill, substantially lower EGTs than the others. SCT was a fair bit higher. Diablo was smokin'. 1500F was not uncommon on the 85 tune, and 1300+ was almost unavoidable on the 120 tune. WOT got really hot really fast. Remember this is a stock exhaust (until Friday, thanks to Chad at Alligator).

Smoke (Less is better) 1.SCT 2. Diablo 3. PPE

SCT gives a little haze on the highest setting at WOT. Diablo will throw some smoke but must be on the highest setting, 85 and below are clean. PPE on level 4 smokes like it's on fire, lots of fun for tailgaters!

Mileage I have no idea, I quit bothering to keep track. It was all over the place, my right foot has a mind of it's own.

Flashlight drag 1. SCT 2. Diablo (PPE not tested due to weather conditions and scheduling issues)

This was the most surprising result to me. Using Jahesh's truck as a control, we used a hill we both know and tested the Diablo 85 and 120 tunes against his tuck running the same SCT top level tune.

Results:

Both of us running the same SCT top level tune, I just edged him out. Probably due to weight difference.

Me with Diablo on 85. He walks away, I was shocked. Repeated several times with the same result.

Me with Diablo on 120. He walked away even more, I think the massive defueling during shifts/short shifting was to blame.

THanks guys!! Glad to get some real world input!! I didnt know you cant install a boost bolt on a dmax!!!!!!! I guess we can drill a hole and mount it(thats REALLLLY cheap to do) BUt ill look into that super manifold....Anyone out their got some mileage estimates on the PPE xcelerator? Man didnt know the predator was that hot!!! wow thems some HOT egt's!!!! My uncle will definately smoke his motor then...

Who is the "best" vendor for the Dmax stuff?? My uncle has an o6 LBZ and hes gonna hook up a boost gauge and im trying to get him to install EGT, but he dont wanna drill holes...Does anyone sell a boost bolt for the boost gauge? EGT i know we gotta drill it.... Also whats the "best/cheapest" tuner out their? He will use it as a daily driver and a tow rig(40ft box trailer/40ft camper rig will weight about 27,000 with truck and trailer).... He's mainly looking for better fuel economy without hurting the motor(hints why I told him YOU NEED a boost and EGT gauge!!!)

This will help you with the boost gauge hook up http://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/showthread.php?t=23482

Now with the Egt hook up you will need to drill the manifold or change out the driver side to a BD manifold that has a port in it heres one on my site dont look at the price I can do better. http://creaturesofthenightperformance.com/BD-Full-Bore-Exhaust-Manifold-Duramax--P904667.aspx will also help with egts while towing. also changing out the down pipe will help same thing heres the link can work on price with package http://creaturesofthenightperformance.com/04-5-05-LLY06-07-LBZ-Duramax-Direct-Pipe-P1015591.aspx

I sell PPE tuners call for best price and the biggier tunes get better fuel milage. http://creaturesofthenightperformance.com/Xcelerator-Programmers--C97235.aspx

Also doing a egr blocker plate or ever deleting the egr and the grid heater setup help out nice also reroute the pvc out of the intake system.

Good Luck
Henry

Thanks ripmf666!!!! ill pass all this info along to my uncle...(couldnt get themlinks to work in the vendors section on that post you did for me but they worked here)....So the best place for the EGT probe is in the exhaust manifold on one side or the other? Why not like my cummins or 6.5 chevy where you install right where exhaust meets the inlet mouth of the turbo? and these EGR delete kits, what are they? they look like a plate that just slips in somewhere.... do they void the extended warranty? hard to install? thanks!!!!

Thanks ripmf666!!!! ill pass all this info along to my uncle...(couldnt get themlinks to work in the vendors section on that post you did for me but they worked here)....So the best place for the EGT probe is in the exhaust manifold on one side or the other? Why not like my cummins or 6.5 chevy where you install right where exhaust meets the inlet mouth of the turbo? and these EGR delete kits, what are they? they look like a plate that just slips in somewhere.... do they void the extended warranty? hard to install? thanks!!!!

If you add a tuner to this truck or gauges you can kiss the extended warranty good by if you worry about that you should leave the truck alone. its a 06 so there should be very little time left on that warranty at this point. Gm can tell if you tune these trucks by reading the ecm and tcm. The manifold has the most meat to mount the probe into.If your try up by the turbo its very hard to get to on the newer truck and there is no were to mount the probe. The up pipes are thin and if you dont weld a bung in it will blow out so the manifold is the best and easiest spot to get to Pass side if you drill and tap the stock one. The blocker plate just dropes in between the egr cooler and the up pipe raiser ear you also need a tuner to turn of the egr codes when you do this.So atleast a PPE or EFI live.

This is what it looks like behind the turbo and hard to get to when in the truck.
up pipe at turbo
LBZTakeout061.jpg

HOLLY JEAPERS!!! THEIRS no room is their!!!! My uncles got about 15,000 miles left on his extended warranty....Ah so GM can tell if you've played with these motors??? So their not like a cummins where nothing is traceable....that sucks...Ill pass all the info along to him!! THANKS guys!!!

HOLLY JEAPERS!!! THEIRS no room is their!!!! My uncles got about 15,000 miles left on his extended warranty....Ah so GM can tell if you've played with these motors??? So their not like a cummins where nothing is traceable....that sucks...Ill pass all the info along to him!! THANKS guys!!!

Yes they can read the last 10 verification codes from Gm when they last did a update to the truck. This is changed every time we tune it with any tuner that plugs into the obd2 port. If you run a tuner that runs inline with the harness like banks they can go back and read the tq output in the tcm. Also dodge can tell with there newer trucks also.

Back