• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

0-60 in Moby

Mmmm...yeah, switch brands. : )>
I got the 5 gallon tank from AEM. Of course you can use whatever tank you want (the hose fitting comes with the tank less kit) but I was under a time crunch. I'll try to get a pic of it posted later.
I highly recommend water injection. And the AEM kit that you can get from Leroy was super easy to install. Other than the money, I think everyone is crazy not to get it.
Diesel engine+turbo+water/meth= perfection.

That every hour fill up was when I was injecting full time. After I adjusted it so that it was only injecting under acceleration or up hills, etc. it lasted much longer. And not towing, it lasted forever so a smaller tank in a non-towing rig should be fine.
Yeah, the 8200 lbs is certainly a factor. I was recently considering picking up a dually axle setup from a yard but I don't think I want to add more weight and this one ton frame handles my fifth wheel and any other loads that I have needed just fine.
Yeah, the weight is an issue, but it's hard for me to not lust after a dually. My stake truck with duals was so stable towing in the turns.....and just the looks of a dually gets me every time :shame:.

Wow 5 gallons in an hour, I wouldn't have thought that much. Yeah I wouldn't notmally run it full time, but I'm concerned that when I go to haul the travel trailer with the Tahoe with the fuel I have now that I'll have to run water pretty much anytime I'm not idling, but we'll see. I'll just try to get the largest water tank I can fit. I'm hoping to hide it in the back behind the spare tire so it doesn't take up any precious interior space, but I don't know how practical that is yet. Also it will help to protect the tank from freezing during transition months (I doubt I'll run it or need it when it's freezing out - I can always put some meth in it though to prevent freezing). Good info and it looks like you have a nice build there, thanks and congrats!

I just reread this thread and right there in the beginning you mentioned the 5 gallon tank......sorry :facepalm:

Yeah, the weight is an issue, but it's hard for me to not lust after a dually. My stake truck with duals was so stable towing in the turns.....and just the looks of a dually gets me every time :shame:.

Wow 5 gallons in an hour, I wouldn't have thought that much. Yeah I wouldn't notmally run it full time, but I'm concerned that when I go to haul the travel trailer with the Tahoe with the fuel I have now that I'll have to run water pretty much anytime I'm not idling, but we'll see. I'll just try to get the largest water tank I can fit. I'm hoping to hide it in the back behind the spare tire so it doesn't take up any precious interior space, but I don't know how practical that is yet. Also it will help to protect the tank from freezing during transition months (I doubt I'll run it or need it when it's freezing out - I can always put some meth in it though to prevent freezing). Good info and it looks like you have a nice build there, thanks and congrats!
Somebody mentioned HEET. I want to try that out, it's pure methanol I think. When running water only, it may be cheap enough to just put some of that in to prevent freezing.
I just kept backing off the injection until it was staying cool enough but would inject when I needed it. You'll probly find a better balance since you're lighter. You won't use as much.

The use of injection is all dependent on what kit you have. My friend has a basic Snow kit with adjustable start and end points. It works good but is more strictly for power. I have a full electronic control unit in mine and can set it to inject based only on boost or boost+EGT. Which is for towing. It will only inject when a preset boost AND EGT level have been met. It will help extend fluid level, and be in use ONLY when you need it. It's a good system. And HEET you really have to be careful with. Same friend with the basic SNOW kit was running HEET and water/meth. The HEET is used to increase the methanol concentration. He was at roughly 70% methanol. Instantly blew a head gasket. The rapid spike in cylinder pressure from that much methanol igniting at the faster rate than diesel is very hard on everything. And with just a 30% methanol that I run, I'm no kidding, probably picking up another 40-50rwhp and 100ft lbs easy! I've posted videos of the difference between injecting vs non-injecting spool here before. The rapid spooling ability of the methanol is great for that fuel! lol. I've done a few self done quarter mile times with my friend as strict as we can. Without injecting, times and speed put me around 250rwhp. While injecting, times and speed put me around 290rwhp, plus gobs more torque down low. While I'm thinking, It's simple to calculate an average of Worst Case Scenario fluid level use. Between both nozzles, I run 1.00L/min at full injection. Cross that with the size of the tank you have, and you can see how long it would roughly last at full injection. Add a little bit of time for not always being at full injection, and you get the idea

The use of injection is all dependent on what kit you have. My friend has a basic Snow kit with adjustable start and end points. It works good but is more strictly for power. I have a full electronic control unit in mine and can set it to inject based only on boost or boost+EGT. Which is for towing. It will only inject when a preset boost AND EGT level have been met. It will help extend fluid level, and be in use ONLY when you need it. It's a good system. And HEET you really have to be careful with. Same friend with the basic SNOW kit was running HEET and water/meth. The HEET is used to increase the methanol concentration. He was at roughly 70% methanol. Instantly blew a head gasket. The rapid spike in cylinder pressure from that much methanol igniting at the faster rate than diesel is very hard on everything. And with just a 30% methanol that I run, I'm no kidding, probably picking up another 40-50rwhp and 100ft lbs easy! I've posted videos of the difference between injecting vs non-injecting spool here before. The rapid spooling ability of the methanol is great for that fuel! lol. I've done a few self done quarter mile times with my friend as strict as we can. Without injecting, times and speed put me around 250rwhp. While injecting, times and speed put me around 290rwhp, plus gobs more torque down low. While I'm thinking, It's simple to calculate an average of Worst Case Scenario fluid level use. Between both nozzles, I run 1.00L/min at full injection. Cross that with the size of the tank you have, and you can see how long it would roughly last at full injection. Add a little bit of time for not always being at full injection, and you get the idea
Yeah the math makes sense, I just hadn't taken the time to do it yet. I can't see signatures since I'm on my phone right now....what controller are you running @6.5L?

I was only going to use the HEET in a water only tank to prevent freezing. With methanol, I wouldn't need it. Anything over 50/50 water/meth, I don't believe is useful.
That's good to know some numbers, thanks for that info. I haven't run meth unloaded yet, but I'm looking forward to it and plan to eventually make my own. Buy bulk meth and distill my own water so I can run all I want, we'll see.

I have an older Snow Performance Stage 3 Boost Cooler kit. Comes with a progressive electronic controller that serves as a monitor for boost and EGT and also displays my % injection. Which is nice. I looked into mixing out pure methanol with distilled water. It gets pricey. Being a chemical lab analyst, I can get some good prices on some spectral grade methanol, and it's still pricey AF. So being the frugal guy I am, window washer fluid for me lol

I have an older Snow Performance Stage 3 Boost Cooler kit. Comes with a progressive electronic controller that serves as a monitor for boost and EGT and also displays my % injection. Which is nice. I looked into mixing out pure methanol with distilled water. It gets pricey. Being a chemical lab analyst, I can get some good prices on some spectral grade methanol, and it's still pricey AF. So being the frugal guy I am, window washer fluid for me lol
So being a chemical lab analyst....have you ever analyzed washer fluid? To see what other garbage is in it.

I have not. Though one of these days, now I might have to. Kind of peaked my curiosity lol If I had to take a stab in the dark, I'd assume a basic mix of water, and some type of alcohol, such as methanol, or isopropanol. Every brands different so hard to tell what they use. Methanol can act like a detergent/solvent, capable of breaking oil down and actually encouraging the mix of oil and water. After a while of sitting, it might settle out of solution, but depending on what other additives used that could combine chemically with the alcohol, its a shot in the dark at that point. So like I said earlier, its not something that worries me as often as I change my oil.

Back