• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

What did you do with your GMT400 today...or yesterday....

Leaving the races yesterday with my Navy Brother Jack and waiting in line to get in line to get in line to leave. Suddenly there's a guy at my window saying, "hey is that motor a transplant"? Diesel in a half-ton questions, you know the deal. Said he and his buddy heard my diesel coming and his buddy had said, "he had to have dropped that in…done a conversion." I pulled over to chat and had a good long conversation about the history of 6.5 diesels and 1% of half ton got ‘em etc. then talked a bit specifically about this one. They might, at list his buddy, come out to Bonneville to see Bill finally run his LSR again. Weather, evaporation and salt permitting

Drove it w/o incident or worries of having any issues out to Welches OR from SLC. Checked out the Salt Flats and stopped to help a couple of girls stuck in the mud. A young Soldier and his wife were already hooking up with their big dodge so I ended up just enjoying the show. Girls were following tracks before realizing the others before them got stuck too….
20240429_103857.jpeg

Lots of water to evaporate from the racing surface but, if we have a normal spring and summer the races should go this year.
20240429_103627.jpeg

10 - 20 mph Wind in the face either directly or quartering for two days and still managed 18+ mpg. But, I don’t drive 80 on the freeways, rather, keep it right around 70 on the freeways. US 95 north from Winnemucca and the other highways I stayed at the posted speed limits which were never more than 70. I did go a little bit faster a couple of times after getting through single lane ‘follow the leader [pilot car] parade traffic. One stint I did get it up too 100 passing a four Semi Trucks, two Horse haulers and a pretty Range Rover party in one shot.

There was a point in Burns OR where truck started making a familiar noise that always needs a stop to check on. Turned out to be an easy fix…
IMG_9171.jpeg
Damn truck can pass about anything it wants except a Dairy Queen.

Up over the pass at Mt.Hood and through Government Camp in a late Spring Snow storm was entertaining but the BF Goodrich Trail Terrain’s are Three Peak rated so the wife wasn’t too worried. Roads were warm but the snow was still slush on the roads and there were a few folks going for the gusto. Here’s a look before it got real entertaining.

IMG_9172.jpeg

I’ll be up to Bill Heath’s shop Saturday so I’ll get some updates on the Bonneville Racer. He just got some new Cometic Head Gaskets, not as thick as their old standard offerings, and re-installed the motor so I missed the fun stuff. Here’s some eye candy in the meantime.
IMG_20240420_161651302_MF_PORTRAIT.jpeg

imagejpeg_0.jpeg

Last edited:
890 mile straight shot from Centralia WA to home. Spousal unit came down with the crud. Trip over. Put it in the wind about 0430 Pacific. With multiple stops for, er, needs and some really good food in The Dallas, we were home B4 10pm Mountain. I don’t drive the truck over 70-75 unless I’m passing or showing off a little. So, the Google est. of 12:44 minutes was wishful thinking across ID and UT where the limit is 80 mph and I was just moseying along holding up traffic at around 73 av. Still, 19-21 mpg with righteous cross winds, lots of climbing and steady 75 through Salt Lake wasn’t bad.
Will do a rinse and repeat next month so I can spend some time with Bill.

890 mile straight shot from Centralia WA to home. Spousal unit came down with the crud. Trip over. Put it in the wind about 0430 Pacific. With multiple stops for, er, needs and some really good food in The Dallas, we were home B4 10pm Mountain. I don’t drive the truck over 70-75 unless I’m passing or showing off a little. So, the Google est. of 12:44 minutes was wishful thinking across ID and UT where the limit is 80 mph and I was just moseying along holding up traffic at around 73 av. Still, 19-21 mpg with righteous cross winds, lots of climbing and steady 75 through Salt Lake wasn’t bad.
Will do a rinse and repeat next month so I can spend some time with Bill.
Good to hear the rig is running well. How did those headlights work for you?

Good to hear the rig is running well. How did those headlights work for you?
Kinda mixed. This was actually the first extended drive with any real night time driving.

Illumination and beam cast are all one could want.

Alignment…yeah, not so much. The headlight housings don’t stay put. Slightest pressure (cleaning bugs off for example) and they move and stay in the new position. Yesterday morning in the fog it was apparent I’d bumped the driver’s side so, pulled over, bumped ‘em back where they sorta should have been and continued on without illuminating tree tops on the right side of the road with the driver’s side light.

Kinda mixed. This was actually the first extended drive with any real night time driving.

Illumination and beam cast are all one could want.

Alignment…yeah, not so much. The headlight housings don’t stay put. Slightest pressure (cleaning bugs off for example) and they move and stay in the new position. Yesterday morning in the fog it was apparent I’d bumped the driver’s side so, pulled over, bumped ‘em back where they sorta should have been and continued on without illuminating tree tops on the right side of the road with the driver’s side light.
These the housings I suggested?

I picked up a couple new spare stanadyne injectors for my 96 gmc truck.My current stanadyne injectors in this truck work just fine but I figure a couple new spares won’t go astray.These were $45 US each from eBay.

Attachments

• IMG_8083.jpeg
    IMG_8083.jpeg
    44.4 KB · Views: 2
Will do on the headlight vid. They are mounted to the core support with all four bolts so it’s simply quality of workmanship with the adjuster assy.

Today I’m just doing a couple small things like a post trip oil change and exchanging the air cleaner set up back to the Heath 1st Gen that S&B partnered with him on (and then screwed him over).
IMG_9182.jpeg
The second version seemed a little loud and since the Frau now has to enjoy the ride and turbo whistle isn’t a fan favorite….

Then it’s repair / replace the seat back release handles. Both sides broke on this trip…old parts…guess it was their time. RIP

Will do on the headlight vid. They are mounted to the core support with all four bolts so it’s simply quality of workmanship with the adjuster assy.

Today I’m just doing a couple small things like a post trip oil change and exchanging the air cleaner set up back to the Heath 1st Gen that S&B partnered with him on (and then screwed him over).
View attachment 87486
The second version seemed a little loud and since the Frau now has to enjoy the ride and turbo whistle isn’t a fan favorite….

Then it’s repair / replace the seat back release handles. Both sides broke on this trip…old parts…guess it was their time. RIP

The adjusters have always worked fine for me on the DWVO headlight housings. They don’t have the greatest range of adjustment, but they work. The plastic of the mount is not as rigid as OEM, which can result in slight bounce on rough roads.

Put the ‘94 through a workout yesterday and when I came back we smelled a coolant leak. The POS hose between the crossover and fuel was the source. Knew I should have replaced the ratty old one. Well did so today and after a test drive, all is dry.

IMG_2964.jpegIMG_2965.jpegIMG_2985.jpegIMG_2986.jpeg

yeah that hose is a pain. I cut the old one in half to make removal easy.

Right now while doing it is the time to add the restriction fitting. For ease Leroy sells his wazoo one. Enjoy pinching pennies on trucks so you can spend it on the ranch instead means diy one. Nate’s example in his build thread is a simple and effective method.
My method was weld it up with a brass rod 3/8” diameter for the hole. The method GM showed as popular was welding a new one, slow cool so it wouldn’t be hardened, drill 3/8 hole then reheat it and quench for temper. Of course they described exactly how they felt customers would do it and if we saw the part done this way to leave the customer modified part in there and simply note it in the vehicle history. Then for some reason when installing the new part they were available as a “-M” part number and we got paid an extra 1.2 hours for some unknown reason, they never would admit that this is what you are supposed to do.
Gotta love the lawyers.

Back