• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

H1 Hummers are crap

Detroit Dan

H1 with just over 50k on it just left my cousins shop last week, thousands invested in repairs to the brakes, fuel tank, two broken coil springs, and the guy says it isn't beaten on. Now it's back and looks like it spun a bearing. You'd think that with all the abuse GIs dish out, the civilian H1s would be nearly as tough as their military brothers. Starting to look like the civilian ones are weak. I mean, how do you break two springs without jumping it off a cliff?

so because one out of god knows how many thousands of H1 are out there has issues....they must all suck? Just because someone said they didn't beat on it doesn't mean they didn't

Almost sounds like the 'Vette that went into the local dealership with bald rear tires, a twisted torque tube, and a damaged trans/rearend in an attempt for warranty work and the owner swore he didn't beat on it to which the dealer said :icon_bs:.

Either someone isn't telling the truth, or the vehicle is a lemon methinks.

If I had an H1 I would drive it as intended to the best of my ability!):h

It could end up with broken springs

Military does EXCESSIVE Preventive maint, and this is why we always see military take outs with low miles....

Everything gets old.

And EVERY Singe vehicle made will fail sooner or later.

I've towed brand new Harleys, Mercedes with a few hundred miles....

H1's are badass. Makes me proud to be in the 6.5 family.

I have a 2001 H1, It has been a great truck. I have driven it to the Smokey Mountains and back several times from Florida and have done just normal service. We drive it daily and it gets pretty good fuel mileage (18 -19 on the highway). I gutted the interior and put two layers of Dynamat and installed Recaro seats. Took the stock wheels and put Dick Cepek 18's with Toyo tires. The only issure I have had is the CTIS system. The pump head needs to be rebuilt and change out some o-rings. I have to disagree with the crap comment. Hard to believe the springs just broke during normal use??? Someone had to beat the crap out of that thing!

I mean, how do you break two springs without jumping it off a cliff?

You drive our roads every day. I guess it is time to point out their bad condition that is worse than a war zone!

H1’s were not designed to be cheap to repair.

Now from someone who has a leaf spring re-arched under warranty…

I would suggest looking at common failures on a Hummer H1 forum. The suspensions are not indestructible as some think.

I know a kid that has gotten a ranger on its two front wheels in a ditch, buried into a muddy bank, and has gone through 4 trannies (auto) and it hasnt even cleared 70K miles.

On cars he drives while the ranger is being worked on, he has blown many engines, transmissions, and has driven a car 5 minutes at road speed w/o coolant, and still claims he drives them normally.

some people's personal ideas of abuse differ greatly than others.

I reckon its a pretty heavy vehicle and imagine that most people have a different definition of "beating on it" than a regular truck/suv so i wouldnt be shocked if alot of H1's have high rates of suspension failure. Also i would think trucks in active service would get more regular maintenance if not daily inspections???

The owner is the one badmouthing it, I'm relating what I've heard, which happens to concur with his opinion. The guy is kind of white collar (who else can afford a $110,000 dollar truck) so I can't picture him wheeling it. He says it has been nothing but problems since he bought it, and he regrets buying it everyday.
All I'm saying is his springs lasted 56k? His fuel tank nearly fell out at 56k? It's never been worked, and if it had been off road, well isn't that what they were designed for? My truck has 175k HARD miles on it, and I've still got original springs, balljoints, motor and tranny.
But maybe it is just a lemon, and all the other civilian H1s are great. I do like their off road capability, but it would be useless in the New England woods. Our woods trails are too narrow for a rig that wide. For 110k I could build a half dozen more capable more reliable off road trucks.

That dont sound right, two broke springs, sounds like it was beat on, I wonder if they were aftermarket springs. I cant see it being that much weaker/cheaper than a HMMWV. I always thought the HMMWV's weak spot was the early style lower ball joints, I've seen alot of those fail and cracked crossmembers.

I wouldn't go along with the generalizing. Many people say anything 6.5 is crap[I have 2 with less than 100k that blew up].This guy isn't telling the truth or he got a real turd from the factory.

An H1 is the real deal! I bought mine at a good price, about 1/3 less than the $140K new price (my buddy worked at the dealer). I still have the dealer window stickers, on the window sticker everything is checked off except the machine gun tarret ( which wasn't available ). Everything works great on this truck. On the early trucks the front frame where the steering gearbox mounted had a tendency to crack at the cross member. The gear drive hubs are a bit noisey on deacceleration because they have straight cut gears. In 2004 they changed them to helical cut gears and that fixed it. I have been throughout this truck on a monthly basis and nothing has come loose or wore out unexpectedly. The truck weighs 7K lbs and the suspension is not built weak in anyway. The truck is all stock except for the interior and wheels. I have the dually and the H1 both with 6.5's and I wouldn't trade either one them.

Absolutely is the real deal. Inflate/deflate tires on the fly? Those things are absolutely huge inside! Feels like a mile inbetween passenger!

Dan's right about the trails up here... Even fullsize trucks get limited fast. I had a little S-10 Blazer that was great!

Anyhow, This is the first bad thing I've heard of them. Most people love them.

CUCV is still the best factory off road truck GM ever made....:D
No broken springs over here...

My man speaks the truth. When I was in the Marine Corps we had a bunch of Blazers and 5/4 pickups. We used to take them out on the perimeter road back of the flightline, get going fast across the field and into the ditch beside the road. Coming out of the ditch we would get air and land on the road. Blazers actually fly considerably better than the pickups. The only thing we ever broke was the inside radio mounts, motor T was always wondering why our PRC radio mounting brackets were snapping off.

In the late 80s most of us had been raised on the Dukes of Hazzard. Do you suppose the current crop of 18 year old boys is any gentler on someone elses vehicle? If you were to buy a low mileage, excessively maintained former military tactical vehicle, be forewarned, it was abused by young men far from home, overloaded with testosterone and with little supervision.

I know this guy hasn't skyed this H1. He's pretty white collar, owns a restaurant or something. And even if he did, I think he'd be a little more understanding about the need to replace springs. Even so, if G.I. Joe can't break them, how come this guy can?

Back