• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Cooper Discover All-Terrain tires

THEFERMANATOR

FRANKENBURBAN
Staff member
Lead Moderator
The tires on the Burb still had decent tread left(the front ones anyways), but they were approaching 9 years old, so I decided it was time to get some new shoes as I'm starting to drive the Burb more. I still don't drive it alot and I was tired of getting stuck in wet grass with my old Cooper Discoverer HT3's, so I wanted some AT's this go round.

I looked all over and decided on the Cooper Discover All-Terrains(Wal-Mart exclusive's). I did some digging and discovered these are the original Cooper AT3's that they discontinued back in 2018. They now sell them through Wal-Mart and Pep-Boys, but Wal-Marts version are much cheaper. If you look on youtube there are several videos on these with great reviews. They set me back $160.50 a piece for LT265/75R16 load range E which was $40 a tire cheaper than Pep-Boys version, and about $90 a tire cheaper than the current AT3's. The only down side was I stepped up to 265/75r16 from the stock 245/75r16's, so my Wal-Mart would not mount them(they will only put on the stock size, even though 1500's came with this size), and that meant no road hazzard.

I've had them on for about a month now and am really happy with them. They are VERY quiet(WAY quieter than a set of BFGoodrich's I had years back), have a smooth ride, and the reviewers all say they have great wet weather traction(I took off a set of week old BFGoodrich's before because of how badly they hydroplaned in the rain). For the money, these tires can't be beat IMHO.IMG_20240322_173317393_HDR.jpgIMG_20240322_173310127.jpg

The tires on the Burb still had decent tread left(the front ones anyways), but they were approaching 9 years old, so I decided it was time to get some new shoes as I'm starting to drive the Burb more. I still don't drive it alot and I was tired of getting stuck in wet grass with my old Cooper Discoverer HT3's, so I wanted some AT's this go round.

I looked all over and decided on the Cooper Discover All-Terrains(Wal-Mart exclusive's). I did some digging and discovered these are the original Cooper AT3's that they discontinued back in 2018. They now sell them through Wal-Mart and Pep-Boys, but Wal-Marts version are much cheaper. If you look on youtube there are several videos on these with great reviews. They set me back $160.50 a piece for LT265/75R16 load range E which was $40 a tire cheaper than Pep-Boys version, and about $90 a tire cheaper than the current AT3's. The only down side was I stepped up to 265/75r16 from the stock 245/75r16's, so my Wal-Mart would not mount them(they will only put on the stock size, even though 1500's came with this size), and that meant no road hazzard.

I've had them on for about a month now and am really happy with them. They are VERY quiet(WAY quieter than a set of BFGoodrich's I had years back), have a smooth ride, and the reviewers all say they have great wet weather traction(I took off a set of week old BFGoodrich's before because of how badly they hydroplaned in the rain). For the money, these tires can't be beat IMHO.View attachment 87377View attachment 87376

Very nice Ferm, and it's great to hear from you.

I run the Discount Tire slightly different version, ATP II, of the Coopers. Yes, they are quiet ... except when run flat giving you enough warning to get stopped before they come all the way apart. They ride nicer than the Trashforce Firestone RAM pickups come with. They last longer than them as well. No squirm like Michelin tires are known for.

Used them in mud with the 5er

I have lost three of them due to road hazards. One nasty sidewall cut as well. And only one was able to be patched as I caught it before it lost air. I go by the dump on the highway and lots of construction in my area.

Lost this one at 75MPH by the dump.

IMG_7140.JPG

IMG_7145.JPG

IMG_7147.JPG

Nail

IMG_4756.JPG

Not a small cut sadly. Scrapped this tire.

IMG_9842.JPG

nice! glad to hear from you too!

@WarWagon with that many flats and tire damage in front of the dump, I wonder if it would be worth putting in complaints to the city or county's community council. usually there are board members on those from each of the larger businesses. at least that's the way they do things here in our area. sometimes you get them to fix the issue, other times they turn a blind cheek. But might be worth a shot.

I got a set of 4 of the new Cooper AT3 LT 265s for $795 from TireRack.com on Back Friday last November. They come with 2 year road hazard warranty.

Existing Coopers on my ‘99 are 7 years old. I estimate the rears have 10K left on them, while the fronts have 15K to 20. Guess I should rotate them?

I mounted two of the new ones on Alcoa wheels we had in storage. I will throw them in the Suburban for my run up to Montana in about 2 weeks. Spare in the Suburban is also new. I have to pick up a 20’ trailer, 250’ of chain link fencing, top rail poles and pole covers, tractor and backhoe. All of this gets towed down to SoCal home. I will do some test runs with all of this while up there. I either get it down to SoCal before summer, or it will stay up there until it cools off in fall.

Best to rotate and have even wear on them if planning to not use them on anything else after the suburban.

but if you plan on turning any into trailer tires instead of running out on the truck- then keep running as is and when the first set is near limit you can replace just one set and keep running the others. Move the worn out ones to a trailer that gets limited use.

Keep in mind age/uv light causing sidewall failure over time. Trailer tires rarely need purchasing for most users- just keep rotating out truck tires since they always wear out and trailer tires usually age out.

Then stock pile all old tires for earth day celebration on firrrrr errr, I mean choosing to cook a hot dog on as a back yard bbq since certain areas consider that illegal. Yeah…thats it….

And remember processing tires through a pyrolysis burn to create oil and fuel creates a really really high sulfur content fuel. And burning tires in a remote heat exchanger for warming antifreeze for the home’s inground heating system is probably frowned upon by the spotted tree whale groups- so don’t do that.

Best to rotate and have even wear on them if planning to not use them on anything else after the suburban.

but if you plan on turning any into trailer tires instead of running out on the truck- then keep running as is and when the first set is near limit you can replace just one set and keep running the others. Move the worn out ones to a trailer that gets limited use.

Keep in mind age/uv light causing sidewall failure over time. Trailer tires rarely need purchasing for most users- just keep rotating out truck tires since they always wear out and trailer tires usually age out.

Then stock pile all old tires for earth day celebration on firrrrr errr, I mean choosing to cook a hot dog on as a back yard bbq since certain areas consider that illegal. Yeah…thats it….

And remember processing tires through a pyrolysis burn to create oil and fuel creates a really really high sulfur content fuel. And burning tires in a remote heat exchanger for warming antifreeze for the home’s inground heating system is probably frowned upon by the spotted tree whale groups- so don’t do that.
That’s the plan: rotate to trailer tires. We have a military surplus trailer up at Big Bear Lake home that we use to haul firewood and yard debris (pine needles). We swapped the 14 bolt full floater from the ‘95 wreck so it can use the same tires and wheels as the Suburban.
IMG_2972.jpeg

Back