• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Youtube video on flushing power steering / hydro booster

schiker

Reaction score
Here is a video on flushing power steering and hydro booster.

Video by Trey Spooner.
Time ~ 10 minutes
Pro's decent speed and technique.
Con's maybe should have siphoned out as much bad fluid as he could to start.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TSw2Qlzsx8

Good alternate video
By chrisfix a
Time 6 min

Pro's: short and sweet
Con's Its a car and doesn't discuss power steering cooler or hydro boost residual

Tags: How to flush power steering, HydroBoost video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0fiZCHz5ew

What do ya'll think:
http://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/sh...ing-links-for-good-youtube-videos-on-sticky-s

Might be a bit of Placebo effect????

But I can see smoother operation overall. Maybe more consistent pressure from cleaner fluid? I can see dirty and worn out fluid causing some degradation of performance maybe some sticktion to the pressure bypass or just better flow properties through hoses and tight places??? Once additives are worn out there is loss of the right viscosity and maybe a bit of foaming or other issues.

Seems Fords suffer worse than GM on this and have some noisy power steering pumps.

Might be a bit of Placebo effect????

But I can see smoother operation overall. Maybe more consistent pressure from cleaner fluid? I can see dirty and worn out fluid causing some degradation of performance maybe some sticktion to the pressure bypass or just better flow properties through hoses and tight places??? Once additives are worn out there is loss of the right viscosity and maybe a bit of foaming or other issues.

Seems Fords suffer worse than GM on this and have some noisy power steering pumps.

Well I'll give it a shot, as it couldn't hurt. I can't take any big truck projects on until this fall as I need it for towing boats and hauling stuff up to Big Bear. Then I plan to do the disk brakes on the rear, 14 bolt full floater. I'm due for new rear brakes and I'm not happy with the performance on the rear drum brakes.

Power steering/ hydro boost fluid is the same viscocity as tranny fluid. Ever notice a happier tranny after a flush? Same effect. You get longer life from seals with better condition fluid also.

Can't say I've ever been with a tranny, nor plan to be, but I'll give the hydro boost flush a try.

Power steering is an overlooked fluid. I know I haven't changed mine if ever in anything just topped off. But that wasn't really why I started this thread. I am going to replace my hydro boost shortly because its leaking and while there were a few threads and posts on some issues in the forum I didn't have the confidence to jump into it because I have never worked on one nor knew much about bleeding them.

I have occasionally looked at Youtube for different techniques and info and I wondered if there was a good way to link to the best video's and or check them against the forum's knowledge base.

I watched one video on changing the Hydro Boost on an Astro van by Ericthecarguy iirc . He did not bleed the system very much if at all. He just replaced the HB filled reservoir then cranked over on the starter a long time then topped off the PS fluid. Next he revved the engine to 2K rpm and pumped brakes and turned steering wheel lock to lock a few times. He went for a test drive and said the air would work its way out. I wasn't really impressed with that technique.

He commented that since the system had leaked out so much of the power steering fluid it did not have much to flush. But after thinking about it I don't like that logic. If the pump ran dry or very low then it might have gotten hot and cooked/overheated some residual fluid or even wore some of the pump's mechanisms and probably should have had a full flush even more so than just a leaking Hydro Boost?????? And really should take the extra time to flush a system if adding a new major component.

That is the kind of stuff I would like to hear others input. I wouldn't want to learn any poor practices and not sure I trust every youtube video.

Well if it's any ease on your mind, a power steering pump is a ball pump design for the purpose of if it runs out of fluid, it wont burn out or cause lock up. All this means is it's the most abuse-able pressure pump design out there. The 2nd video is how I do it at home with out the flush machine. Notice he mentions to try to not let the reservoir out of fluid. It doesn't hurt anything if you do, it just takes longer to bleed out the air.

And uh -Big T- quit pickin on me! dang that was funny, I am afraid to say anything now...

Back