• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Whine on startup, either tranny or starter?? Video attached!

02silverado2500HD

Reaction score
2002 Silverado 2500HD
8.1L
Allison
115k mile

On a cold start, i hear three quick whines....., a whineee, whinee, whine....

I know it isn't belt/pulley related, because I took both belts off tonite after work, 32*f, and it still did it.....

Wondering if maybe it's something in the tranny? I don't think a bearing in the engine would do that, it sounds like a transmission whine....

P.S.

about 3000 miles ago I changed the tranny fluid with transynd and changed the screw on filter.

Also, could this be the starter, really sounds like the tranny because as it stops whining it sounds like it levels off as the normal allison whine.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Probably not the starter. Belts off- rules out PS pump (and others). I've heard a noise like that when a trans pump is hurt. Also the stator inside a torque converter can whine like that.

Any sluggish shifts? SES lights?

Probably not the starter. Belts off- rules out PS pump (and others). I've heard a noise like that when a trans pump is hurt. Also the stator inside a torque converter can whine like that.

Any sluggish shifts? SES lights?

Kinda sluggish on low speed, light throttle...

Only SES was from MAF which needed to be cleaned, cleaned, went away.

How can I isolate a pump problem or TC problem?

I've heard others say that it sounds like a dry pump problem?

If I unbolt the TC and fire it up, and it still whines, most likely a pump problem correct?

Thanks for the fast response! I don't want to burn up my allison.....

p.s.
Temps are fine, fluid level is good, smells good.

If I unbolt the TC and fire it up, and it still whines, most likely a pump problem correct?

If it still whines after you do this, then it's nothing transmission. The TC drives the trans pump at the engine's RPM.

Be careful if you run the engine without a TC bolted up, back it away from the flexplate. Don't rev it and don't run it long.

...and a pressure check on the trans should diagnose if you have a pump problem. (trans shop perhaps)

When I had that whine, $1200 later a new torque converter. That was on my 01 8.1 when I had it. I'm not saying that's your problem though. Seems mine was a little louder..

Back