• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

When is it time for new injectors?

sd455

Reaction score
Hello all,

Recently picked up a 99 suburban with 281,000k or 170,000 miles. The truck runs fine, and gets about 15.2mpg(us). Looking at the injectors they appear to be originals but dont know for sure.

Aside from removing and testing them, how do you know when its time for new ones, and what could I expect to gain from this rather spendy maintenance issue if I did replace them?

B

You can have them tested but have to pull them out to do. If I was going thru the trouble to remove I would not put back in with out having rebuilt or replace. I got a set of new bosch on ebay from moneyslave. About 240 to your door. I did have them tested for piece of mind. Everything checks out to spec. I've had a best of 20.8 mpg and a worst of 13 with winter diesel no hwy driving. Runs smooth though starts great too.

!00,000 miles is recommended . Less if heavy towing most of the time. I rebuild my own injectors now. I balance them to within 25 psi of each other. Most shops only balance them to within 250 psi. The new injectors I've tested were all over the place. 500 psi variance. I set them to 100 psi over spec to allow for settling in.
What I believe happens to the injectors as they wear is that they don't atomize the fuel as fine and you don't get as powerful and clean burn. Some injectors will pee a stream which can eventually melt a hole in a piston. You might not know it untill it's too late.

!00,000 miles is recommended . Less if heavy towing most of the time. I rebuild my own injectors now. I balance them to within 25 psi of each other. Most shops only balance them to within 250 psi. The new injectors I've tested were all over the place. 500 psi variance. I set them to 100 psi over spec to allow for settling in.
What I believe happens to the injectors as they wear is that they don't atomize the fuel as fine and you don't get as powerful and clean burn. Some injectors will pee a stream which can eventually melt a hole in a piston. You might not know it untill it's too late.

Hey 95, where do you get your shims from?

I get the shims from a guy named sean. His e-mail address is: [email protected] He's not real fast about replying, but he will. He takes paypal and will ship by usps so you canadians don't get the ups shaft.
He will sell any quanity and thickness. I bought a very large assortment from him.

Attachments

• IMG_0607_587.JPG
    IMG_0607_587.JPG
    48.6 KB · Views: 8
you are only about 200 miles from Heaths shop in Yakima Wa. he will fix you up.

Im going to see him at the end of the month for a computer and maybe a turbomaster, his injectors are expensive compared to e bay stuff, does he do anything special to them?

Im going to see him at the end of the month for a computer and maybe a turbomaster, his injectors are expensive compared to e bay stuff, does he do anything special to them?

Most all of the Ebay stuff is interstate Mcbee which are JUNK, or HERZOG which doesn't even make a 6.5 nozzle so who knows who actually makes them. 6.5 injectors need to be good ones as you don't want to be burning piston crowns offf from dribbling nozzles.

He will only sell you a genuine Bosch injector, and he will happily show you the difference between genuine and counterfit/second rate. Plus there are enough spare parts laying around from the un-learned like me to demonstrate his points. I went through a couple of sets of "good deals" or "Cheap" injectors when I would have saved more than the cost of his had I went there in the first place. If the price of a 'good deal' set is less than the cost of the parts to rebuild them with genuine parts plus the additive cost of the labor to perform the rebuild, then the "good deal" isn't so much.

You dont need to pay high prices to get good injectors. Plenty of people would reuild them and set the pop pressures for about $150, just bring the Bosch German nozzles ($150) and your injectors to the rebuilder and be very specific about the pop pressure and tolerance they need to be set to. So for $300 you have a good set, set the way you want. For some stock turbo nozzles I would do like Barry said and set them 100psi above spec, so all injectors pop between 2200 and 2250 psi. If Barry can get them to within 25psi high to low, then a shop can get them within 40-50psi difference in highest to lowest pop pressure. For marine nozzles I would set them 100psi higher than that, since stock spec is 100psi higher than turbo nozzles.

Sean can also get the German-made Monark brand nozzles, which apparently are higher quality than the current-day Bosch nozzles.

I waited a long time in discussion and he was never able to get a 6.5 nozzle made by Monark. I contacted Monark themselves and they are great people, also said they would be unable to retool for the Bosch SD304 (turbo) or SD311 (marine) nozzles. Has Sean offered to sell Monark nozzles for the 6.5?

Not that I'm aware of however when it comes to customer service he is 2nd to none. He gave me a t/m cause I had a home made one on there. You are welcome to come by and take it & try it if you like. White Rock is only 20 minutes form me.

Not that I'm aware of however when it comes to customer service he is 2nd to none. He gave me a t/m cause I had a home made one on there. You are welcome to come by and take it & try it if you like. White Rock is only 20 minutes form me.

Wow, that is such a nice offer. What would be cool is to get together and maybe have a ride in your truck just to get an idea of what these mods will amount to. Again, this forum is great and everyone is so helpful, Thanks to everyone that chimed in.

B

You can have them tested but have to pull them out to do. If I was going thru the trouble to remove I would not put back in with out having rebuilt or replace. I got a set of new bosch on ebay from moneyslave. About 240 to your door. I did have them tested for piece of mind. Everything checks out to spec. I've had a best of 20.8 mpg and a worst of 13 with winter diesel no hwy driving. Runs smooth though starts great too.

So, are these real bosch injectors for $240? This seems like good value?

The thing about getting new Bosch injectors, is they are going to be Bosch made in India, which might not be all the bad, but the factory pop setting is not well balanced either. The German nozzles are said to be of better quality.

So, are these real bosch injectors for $240? This seems like good value?

Yup, set of moneyslave injectors here too.

They're military surplus (even have the NATO stock number on the package) and the proper application for a turbo 6.5.

Popped 'em myself. All within 50-100 psi of each other.

running fine a couple months later and good for another 100,000.

All for 240 bucks to my door.....:cool:

If you don't know the condition of the injectors you need to just rebuild or replace them. Not worth the expense to just test them. This is critical if you are going to tow anything or work the 6.5 at anything over a daily driver. If you get a sudden ping like a gas engine knock that lets off with the throttle means shut it off and tow it till you change injectors as you had one fail. You may not hear the sudden failure before it is too late. The results of a melted piston from a bad injector I have posted pics of and is the 2010 winner in my sig for ultimate 6.5 block destruction.

The cost of doing this is not high compared to other engines. You can do it your self even as intimidating as it looks.

Back