• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

What's this hose for?

btfarm

America First!
Reaction score
The one with the yellow, green, and blue marks hooked to the egr tube? Is that the cooling hose?

egr.jpg egr1.jpg

I ask because I'm getting prepared to (FINALLY) block the EGR and put a circuit in there to block the codes that will show up. Predator doesn't have that ability and I'm not going EFI at this time. Do I need to do anything with that hose?

That is the cooling water hose. That would need to be re-connected to the other water connection on the other end of the EGR cooler. I blocked my EGR years ago with a solid copper "gasket" at the exhaust inlet flange of the cooler, and wired in a "finger stick" to stop the codes. I left the cooler in place though, in case the inspection guy takes a closer look.

I take it you mean that I should just leave it in place after the blocker plate and "finger stick" go in. Or, alternately, connect the 2 hoses together to bypass the cooler entirely. I would think it's better to leave the coolant flow where it is unless I was doing a complete EGR delete (which I don't plan to do).

That is correct. I assumed you were going to do a full EGR delete. Leaving the coolant flow through the heat exchanger will not hurt anything. I only had about 50 miles on my truck when I put the blocker plate in, and I could already see a light haze of soot on the inside of the intake plenum when I pulled it off to install my boost gauge tap. I can imagine how bad the intake would be on a 100k plus mileage engine.

Oh I make sure it gets a good "cleanout" every 100 miles or so...;)

No amount of standing on it will blow that sticky crud out of the intake at the EGR. It combines with the oil vapor and becomes this tar-like sticky crud that doesn't even succome easily to brake parts cleaner. I was surprised how nasty mine was when I took it all apart.

No amount of standing on it will blow that sticky crud out of the intake at the EGR. It combines with the oil vapor and becomes this tar-like sticky crud that doesn't even succome easily to brake parts cleaner. I was surprised how nasty mine was when I took it all apart.
Well how about a tutorial then on cleaning it when I do the EGR/PCV job?

Back