• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

What's above the coolant drain plug?

MattP

Reaction score
Seems like if I add coolant to the reservoir next to the air intake I will lose some somewhere near that drain plug. Is there an overflow drain that will allow it to just freely drip out? I noticed this threaded hole above the plug and I'm not sure what it's for. I don't think I am losing fluid after that initial leak if I overfill. Can anyone confirm I don't have to look any further into it?

Attachments

• IMG_20241019_183456303_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20241019_183456303_HDR.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20241019_182747803_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20241019_182747803_HDR.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 2
Ak's right, that's an unused oil cooler port. there is a built in oil cooler in the radiator and from the photo the seal around it is leaking come coolant. it's a common thing with the plastic tank radiators. depending on the age of the radiator, it's most likely due to have that plastic tank replaced. a radiator shop can do it for you. Or just invest into a Champion full aluminum radiator getting rid of the plastic tanks all together. 7 times out of 10 on older radiators if you disturb that drain, it will break and leak.

Back