• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

What steering wheels swap into a GMT400?

great white

Reaction score
My 98 has developed "wheel rot".

On damp mornings, the leather has deteriorated to the point where it's so soft, it leaves black marks on your hands.

It's not some kind of "goo" on the wheel either, it's worn down through the leather paint and right into the parent material.

I'm also not a fan of the stock tiller. It feels nice and all, but it blocks the view of the push buttons for the 4x4 and my tekonsha brake controller screen.

I like the 99+ wheels as the top spokes arch down instead of up like the 98 wheel. I think it will swap on also.

88GMC swapped on an audio control wheel with clockspring IIRC.

Any other candidates for swapping that will work and look correct with the "wide" trim on the column?

Have you swapped the steering wheel on a 95 and up GMT400? Got any pics?

I've got a Eurosport wheel I had on my 89 that I might swap on until I can sort out what will be the final option.

My 98 is a 3/4 ton, so no airbag to worry about either.

I wouldn't mind swapping on an airbag model if it looks right and fits. The airbag just wouldn't be functional....

Wow, I'm surprised nobody answered this. To my knowledge, the airbag steeringhwheels will fit right in. The best option would be to swap in a 98-02 small square airbag (like my 02 has) into your truck. I've been thinking about doing the same.

98-99 GMT400 1/2ton trucks used the same small airbag that 99-02 GMT800 trucks used, FYI. All you need is the wheel and airbag, unless you want to add audio controls then you'll need a clockspring as well.

Last edited:
Back