• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

What is the procedure to bleed the 4 wheel ABS units on a 1995?

WarWagon

Well it hits on 7 of 8...
Reaction score
What is the procedure to bleed the 4 wheel ABS units on a 1995? This year they don't have any bleeder screws on the ABS unit. I am replacing the proportioning valve to the updated part.

I had a hell of a time bleeding the air out of mine, what finally worked was cracking open the line at the ABS unit to remove air there followed by the same for each wheel.

I had to open the fitting then push the pedal to the floor and then close the fitting. I had no luck with pumping the pedal up 1st and cracking open the bleeder afterwards...don't know why but the the open bleeder then push pedal down and closing the bleeder off before allowing the pedal to return to the top worked for me.

I must of went through almost a quart of fluid before it was all over...it did get a good flushing.

DO NOT TURN THE KEY ON WHILE IT IS OPEN. Follow this rule and you can bleed them out with a buddy like normal. that is how I did mine. I didn't pump them, but simply opened the bleeder and had somebody push the pedal down. If you pump the pedal you take a chance on pumping air back into the ABS accumulator. If you do get air in it, your options aren't good. Either you have to find a TECH1 or TECH 2 with the card in it to work for 95(94 and a 96 card won't work, tried em), or go out on a loose road and lock em up and actuate teh ABS a few times and rebleed the brakes. Repeat this procedure until all of the air is out. it isn't a fun job to do, but if your careful you can pull it off without to much hassle.

Thought we were done bleeding the system. Key on and have the red brake warning light.

Have very little fluid going out of the rear bleeders and the red warning light is on. Pedal will go to the floor when the engine is on. Plenty of fluid on the front bleeders. Did bleed the lines at the ABS unit.

Just more bleeding with a focus on the rears?

Thought we were done bleeding the system. Key on and have the red brake warning light.

Have very little fluid going out of the rear bleeders and the red warning light is on. Pedal will go to the floor when the engine is on. Plenty of fluid on the front bleeders. Did bleed the lines at the ABS unit.

Just more bleeding with a focus on the rears?

I had the pedal going to the floor but I can't remember if I had the light on or not? I suggest more bleeding but with motor off and just barely crack open the pass side rear bleeder and slowly run the pedal to the floor, be sure to close off the bleeder before releasing the pedal from the floor. Like I said above it took a bunch of bleeding with mine...huge PITFA.

Keep us posted.

I had rolled it out of the garage to hose all the oil from the PS pump failure off. In doing so and NOT trusting the main brakes I had my foot on the parking brake.

Two clicks it was down turned the light on. :dunce:

Anyway bleeding lines at the ABS unit first did the job followed by all 4 corners.

I had rolled it out of the garage to hose all the oil from the PS pump failure off. In doing so and NOT trusting the main brakes I had my foot on the parking brake.

Two clicks it was down turned the light on. :dunce:

Anyway bleeding lines at the ABS unit first did the job followed by all 4 corners.

How do you bleed the lines at the ABS unit?

Back