• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

what do i need to set pump timing?

hotrod0872

Reaction score
got a truck thats a little hard to start,and thought i may need to check pump timing.
if i understand right you have to have some sort of computer to adjust timing.
what do i need to get?where do i get it?
thanks for the help!!:confused:

If it is hard to start, may be you need to check other things first unless you get a code indicating that your timing is off.

Doing the Checklist will help you test some easy stuff first?

I am not trying to prevent you to do timing, you cannot even do any timing if the truck is not starting. It has to be up to temp.

truck will crank just a little slow.
new batterys,new cables,new instaheat plugs,new controller,new lift pump,will have new starter tomorrow!also has romote pmd in front bumper.
just trying to find out what i need to check timing?

If yours is OBD-II, you need a scanner software. There was a discussion about it recently on a software called CarCode, etc.

OBD-I have only one choice, a software called GMTDScantech, the paid version.

Plus some tools to move the IP.

A lot of knowledge on how to do it. Usually, it gives a code when your IP is not time correctly. For people who does not know how to do it, it usually messed it up more than fixing it. Don't mean to scare you but better make sure you know what you are doing.

The InstaHeat GP made by WAP is a suspect. If it is new, they are great but it is ranked low on reliability.

Your 96 should be OBDII which means you could use a scanner such as a Tech II, Car Code, Auto Enginuity, or a Snap On (and maybe others) to first read your current timing and TDCO and to then move the pump in one direction or the other (depending on your first reading) to correct your timing so that you can achieve a TDCO of -.5 to -1.94.

Back