• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Weird crank but no start issue

jhornsby3

Reaction score
I am totally lost with this one.

Went into town to get some errands done. Pickup starts fine and runs great everywhere we stop. Our last stop, I shut er down, and go in for a couple minutes, come out and it cranks, tries to light but never does. Normally the dash will go through it's check and the "check engine" and "security" lights come on. When it's acting up, nothing. Only the glow plug light for a micro-second, flash. I tried to pump the hand pump and it gets hard but won't hold pressure. CTS3 reads 4.930 at normal idle and 2.0XX at cold start. When this was going on it was reading anywhere from 1.000 to 1.200. After hand pumping and walking back around to the drivers seat, no change in the pressure. Temp on the fuel return was at 118*f and after 45 minutes was at 122*f. No codes came up, at all.

Sat in the parking lot for 45 minutes and got it to light after pumping the hand pump and holding my foot to the floor. I noticed the gash lights "check engine" came on. After it lit up and was running, the "security" light stayed on. Drove home the 25 miles and ran great. Fuel pressure was at 1.430 idle and good cruising. Sitting in driveway, fuel temp was at 118*f. Shut it down, waited about 5 minutes for heat soak and it fired right up, like nothing ever was amiss.

This is the third time this has happened. Yesterday, I got suckered into pulling my truck and trailer with our tractor on the back, for the FFA in a parade. Never an issue, the whole time.

Anybody ever hear of this type of problem, and can offer any kind of help?

Do you have a lift pump?
Yes, it has a lift pump.

@WarWagon is thinking close to what I was thinking. Since this is so sporadic, and doesn't happen on a regular basis, it has to be something electrical. For the $20, I might just rebuild that hand pump as a maintenance item. The shop that originally did the injector work screwed things up so bad, the dealer had to replace most of the "soft" items in the fuel system. The first shop also said the CP3 was toast and tried to get me to replace that. I had the dealer check the serial number against the pick up and they said it was the original to the truck and that the shop did not replace it. But this wasn't an issue until of late.

Yes, it has a lift pump.

@WarWagon is thinking close to what I was thinking. Since this is so sporadic, and doesn't happen on a regular basis, it has to be something electrical. For the $20, I might just rebuild that hand pump as a maintenance item. The shop that originally did the injector work screwed things up so bad, the dealer had to replace most of the "soft" items in the fuel system. The first shop also said the CP3 was toast and tried to get me to replace that. I had the dealer check the serial number against the pick up and they said it was the original to the truck and that the shop did not replace it. But this wasn't an issue until of late.
I'm curious why the hand pump.is necessary, if you have a lift pump.

Won't the lift pump pressurize the hand pump to expose a leak?

If your losing pressure at the hand pump, it sounds like you have a fuel issue as well as an electrical issue

is thinking close to what I was thinking. Since this is so sporadic, and doesn't happen on a regular basis, it has to be something electrical.

Check for codes. A nightmare long list is also the same problems outlined below as the ECM "fries" on low voltage, brownout, and can't function properly until voltage is high enough.

So clean grounds. Separate and load test batteries. NPF? than replace the ignition switch and autopsy the old one to see if it has burnt contacts. (Thus knowing if your repair did something.) Only the airbag recall dwarfed the killer ignition switch mess GM had and that wasn't even the burnt contact problem. These years are not known to be reliable so it's one of the few parts I suggest throwing at something.

If the hand primer is soft and you have a lift pump assumed to be pressurizing the hand primer: again it ain't got power to run so back to electrical.

I install a toggle switch to run the lift pumps on everything I install them on.
Just fused power to the toggle switch and then to the exciter on the lift pump relay.

Back