• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Watch "2nd video start up at 190°" on YouTube

Codie

Reaction score
2nd video start up at 190°:

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

But I can still drive it has power just hard starting and no power

Stix88

the IP will pull fuel but it is hard on it. to see if the lift pump is working ( with it running) open the water drain from the fuel filter. it should have a steady flow of fuel from it. If it doesn't it will die when it drains the filter.

Ok thank u will try it later today when I get off work if it don't work will ask for more info. When I drive it that would cause it to drag have no power and burn fuel quick it sucks diesel

Stix88

have you checked for fuel leaks? Also replace the return line coming out of the IP with a piece of clear tubing to see if you have any air leaks.

sounds to me like a fuel issue, as in lift pump not working
In his 1st video you can hear the lift pump running when the glows are on. Sounds to me like injectors, and it should be spinning over ALOT faster. The 6.5 needs RPM's to create heat in the cylinders to keep the flame going. When injectors get old, they will drip out the fuel when it sits, and make it start like it is out of fuel. If you shut it off and restart it within 15 seconds, how does it start?

In his 1st video you can hear the lift pump running when the glows are on. Sounds to me like injectors, and it should be spinning over ALOT faster. The 6.5 needs RPM's to create heat in the cylinders to keep the flame going. When injectors get old, they will drip out the fuel when it sits, and make it start like it is out of fuel. If you shut it off and restart it within 15 seconds, how does it start?

Most of us have had an LP make noise and not pump fuel

With light tester on clamp end on glowplug and point end on glowplug plug. How do u check the relay

Stix88

THEFERMANATOR is correct in cranking speed. You need 100 RPM cold and 150 RPM hot minimum. Clearly this isn't spinning over very fast. Start with pulling the positive off batteries and test each one. The spot where the two positive battery cables come together can have issues on the positive cable. Then check the cables for internal corrosion esp the positive ones. remove each battery ground and clean it on the engine. If it's still slow to spin check the starter connections and then last replace the starter. I suggest a 100% new Powermaster 9052.

Pressure guage on the water drain to the FFM to check lift pump pressure otherwise you are guessing if it's working or not. testing thread here.

As the injection pump wears the head and rotor out it get a no hot start issue. Again slow cranking RPM will get the same no-start result.

The glow plugs shouldn't cycle hot unless you have a tune.

For reference listen to how fast this engine is spinning over, yes, with bad injectors.

What brand and from where? I have burned out 6 starters in the 8 years owning my truck due to them being a crappy reman. They turn over very fast for about the first week. Past that point its already starting to die.

With light tester on clamp end on glowplug and point end on glowplug plug. How do u check the relay

Stix88
Yes check each has 12v to it. Then disconect the power wire and check OHMs on multimeter should show resistance (how much ?? maybe someone will let us know or test a new one to see.) Basically as long as its not an open the GP should be good.

What brand and from where? I have burned out 6 starters in the 8 years owning my truck due to them being a crappy reman. They turn over very fast for about the first week. Past that point its already starting to die.
I was doing them every month from autozone until the end. The last one lasted 6 months before I got fed up with the old 6.5 and pulled it out for the DURAMAX swap.

Back