• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

VW powered Eye Candy

Paveltolz

Доверяй, но проверяй
Reaction score
Crewed for this little beauty last week at the Salt Flats. Owner’s first diesel but, he is a bonafide VW nut. Numerous records in VW powered classes with his Carmen Gia to include 2 Cylinder modified blocks…Salt Flats, El Mirage and Australia. Grew up working for Gene Whitfield in his garage so, he’s got skills.
IMG_4502.jpeg
I’ll get more techie on this one later but, the general info is:
Vesco Racing’s 444 body mold modified for the owners body size. He did the glassing with help from friends and his wife. Paint schemes with assistance from a painter friend in Salt Lake City.
1.5L (1500cc) diesel out of a VW Rabbit (not Golf, so, yeah, older block). With the upgraded IP and a CKO Borg Wagner turbo plus pistons, rods, crank (I don’t have the details, owner was a little, uh, tense) it was expected to make 200+ HP. White Goose Racing has the same motor, provided the IP and recommended the real Borg Wagner turbo. Turbo let us down on the air delivery side so it was a smoking freight train but, we made 158 mph before EGTs forced an end to the run before the two mile marker. Next run was a slow roll into the throttle and used EGT’s as a gauge vs. Tach and revs (not like driving a gasser with the hammer down from start to finish) so it made 128 and still had another gear before he had the data he wanted. Had he gone on to the 5 mile we’d have at least qualified on the current record.
Ice Water Intercooler fabbed up by the owner (he’s qualified as a high pressure pipe welder too)
Set up is coupled to a B&M Air Shifted 4 speed.
Enough blather.

36 hp Messerschmitt inspired paint scheme 2021.
IMG_5924.jpeg

This paint scheme’s inspiration came from the 1952-3 VW “Bus”
IMG_9635.jpeg

imagejpeg_0.jpeg
Engine, Transmission and Intercooler. Sorry for the language on the sticker.
IMG_9631.jpeg

“Secret Sauce” formula on the water/ice tank.
IMG_9632.jpeg

Motor Trend Mag is doing a story and it should hit press in a month or two. I’m sure the owner gave them the full details. I was too busy prepping for the day’s run.

MT photogs doing their shootIMG_9667.jpeg

My Captures that morning while they were working. Really looking forward to their published works.
IMG_9665.jpeg
IMG_9666.jpeg

Back