• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Vinyl headliner

6.5TD Burb

Reaction score
Anybody redo their headliner with vinyl instead of cloth? It's a couple bucks cheaper a yard around here and I always liked it.

It was a lifetime ago, but the '67 had arched steel rods that the headliner attached to.

More currently, my 94 'Burb has started to sag over the passenger side.
The thin cloth is very lightweight and isn't as effected by the vibrations and gravity as badly as vinyl IMO.

I'm looking for good glue; 3M makes some excellent spray ons for this purpose. I may go with vinyl, but it doesn't handle the curves and bumps in the shape of the celing without bunching up. If you have a flat interior roof without rear a/c and heat, maybe you can do it with only the corners to trim the overlap/bunched up vinyl.

Yeah....I have all of that. That was one reason I was looking at vinyl; it seems easier to handle. Adhesion of the 3m Super Trim adhesive seems to depends largely on environment applied. I did the headliner in my Jeep and it started sagging in less than two weeks. I was mad.

it can be done you have to get ALL the old headliner materal off with a wire wheel and a drill, and most of your rattle can 3m adhesives suck thay will not hold it up for very long maby about two weeks if that need to use the yellow glue (cant think of the name right now)that you can buy from a auto upholstery shop. You can use a heat gun to get the vinyl to streach but go slow if you heat it to much it will streach to far and you have to start over

Back