• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

tranny oil

tammlyn

Reaction score
well i bought my new to me truck,2006 sierra drw,4x4.slt,of course tranny lines are leaking i want to bring truck home to do the lines as you guys suggested in many forums,i will get the software update done first then do lines at hydraulic shop so i don't need to worry about it no more,my question is its a little low on oil the best i could find was mobil one dextron v1 it says its synthetic,is this okay to use for now,when i get back home and my buddys shop is slow i intend to do a complete service to start from new,tranny oil,filter,engine oil,transfer case,rear ends,then we will be ready to go i will post pics when i get home,thanks mike

im not quite sure what you mean its called mobil super dextron-vi atf meets stringent requirements of gm's dextron-v1 specification and provides waranty protection for 2006 and newer gm vehicles does gm use synthetic when new? Can you mix synthetic if it was not previously used in the vehicle?

You should be just fine adding the Mobil Dex VI, compatibility won't be a problem.

Amsoil also has a Dex VI product.:thumbsup:

Dex 6 was made for the BorgWarner factory clutches and soft factory steel plates where the friction clutches actually wear into the steel plates. Add a different friction coefficient and all bets are off. Be carefull what fluid you run with a modified trans. That fluid was not tested with the aftermarket clutches and can cause premature failure because of less holding power. Aftermarket steel plates are much harder and friction lining is different.
All the companies that manufacture synthetic fluid for the Allison never tested their fluid with the aftermarket frictions and harder steel plates. Be carefull on your choice of fluids.

Dex 6 was made for the BorgWarner factory clutches and soft factory steel plates where the friction clutches actually wear into the steel plates. Add a different friction coefficient and all bets are off. Be carefull what fluid you run with a modified trans. That fluid was not tested with the aftermarket clutches and can cause premature failure because of less holding power. Aftermarket steel plates are much harder and friction lining is different.
All the companies that manufacture synthetic fluid for the Allison never tested their fluid with the aftermarket frictions and harder steel plates. Be carefull on your choice of fluids.

So Dex 3 with our Suncoast Trans then?

Back