• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

TPS ? Fuel Pressure ? What You think ?

MrMarty51

Reaction score
Real hot out, probably 110* F or so.
Twice on one drive, in town, about last Monday, 35mph. Give the foot feed a little throttle, not a lot, let off and it seemed like the engine near died but then picked back up again.
About a half a mile later it did the same thing.
I thought WTF but no real clue. The second time it was like the SES lamp may have popped on but immediately off again, just a mighty fast flash.
Then Friday, driving along, approaching a stop sign, released the foot feed pedal, went to stop. Brake pedal hard to push, my immediate thought was, brakes gone to 💩 ?
Pumped the pedal and still tough to get stopped. By the time I got stopped was when I noticed that the engine had stalled.
Twisted the key to start and not a fire, turned key to off then back to on, WTS lamp illuminated, twist to start position, fired right up and away I went.
Drove directly to home with the brake light switch for the Buick and got that installed so We’d have that car for a spare.
Started the truck, observed the fuel pressure. When I first installed this GlowShift FP gauge and sender unit the FP was running 9 PSI on the Carter pump and relay system from Leroy Diesel.
I didnt have the gauge hooked the first go round of when the engine seemed to die.
Friday morning though I noticed that the FP was running about 4 pounds.
Just what the FP was when the engine did stall I did not have a look at the gauge until I got it fired up again, about 4PSI.
While the truck was idling at the house, there is absolutely no air intrusion in the clear plastic hose.
Probably going to take several shots at it with the parts cannon.
1: New A/C Delco ignition switch.
2: New Throttle Position sensor.
3: New Air Dog fuel pump system from QuadStar tuning.
Guess I’ll be shedding some tears at 3 but I’m trying to get this truck to be as dependable as any 6.5 on the road and the over priced fuel pump system is a part of that.
I was going get started to pull the engine as soon as the grand sons left, but then, when we all were at the sons house for supper before the grand sons took back to home in Alaska, my son informed me that his wifes Continental X had sprung a coolant leak, coolant pump leaking internally into the engine.
Yup, freaking ford mounted the coolant pump inboard of the engine so when it goes to crap it wipes out the bearings in the engine.
Kelly told Me that the engine had to be pulled to replace the coolant pump. The shop charge was in excess of $4,000.00 to pull, fix and reinstall the engine, so now, He and I will be doing the job so my truck job will be on hold for another two or three weeks.

Real hot out, probably 110* F or so.
Twice on one drive, in town, about last Monday, 35mph. Give the foot feed a little throttle, not a lot, let off and it seemed like the engine near died but then picked back up again.
About a half a mile later it did the same thing.
I thought WTF but no real clue. The second time it was like the SES lamp may have popped on but immediately off again, just a mighty fast flash.
Then Friday, driving along, approaching a stop sign, released the foot feed pedal, went to stop. Brake pedal hard to push, my immediate thought was, brakes gone to 💩 ?
Pumped the pedal and still tough to get stopped. By the time I got stopped was when I noticed that the engine had stalled.
Twisted the key to start and not a fire, turned key to off then back to on, WTS lamp illuminated, twist to start position, fired right up and away I went.
Drove directly to home with the brake light switch for the Buick and got that installed so We’d have that car for a spare.
Started the truck, observed the fuel pressure. When I first installed this GlowShift FP gauge and sender unit the FP was running 9 PSI on the Carter pump and relay system from Leroy Diesel.
I didnt have the gauge hooked the first go round of when the engine seemed to die.
Friday morning though I noticed that the FP was running about 4 pounds.
Just what the FP was when the engine did stall I did not have a look at the gauge until I got it fired up again, about 4PSI.
While the truck was idling at the house, there is absolutely no air intrusion in the clear plastic hose.
Probably going to take several shots at it with the parts cannon.
1: New A/C Delco ignition switch.
2: New Throttle Position sensor.
3: New Air Dog fuel pump system from QuadStar tuning.
Guess I’ll be shedding some tears at 3 but I’m trying to get this truck to be as dependable as any 6.5 on the road and the over priced fuel pump system is a part of that.
I was going get started to pull the engine as soon as the grand sons left, but then, when we all were at the sons house for supper before the grand sons took back to home in Alaska, my son informed me that his wifes Continental X had sprung a coolant leak, coolant pump leaking internally into the engine.
Yup, freaking ford mounted the coolant pump inboard of the engine so when it goes to crap it wipes out the bearings in the engine.
Kelly told Me that the engine had to be pulled to replace the coolant pump. The shop charge was in excess of $4,000.00 to pull, fix and reinstall the engine, so now, He and I will be doing the job so my truck job will be on hold for another two or three weeks.
I'm sure I don't need to say it,

Make sure you have plenty of fuel available to the lift pump.

If loosening the fuel cap works, then time for a new cap.

If not, any other restriction points such as inline filters? Crimped hard supply line? Imploded soft supply line?

Can try the trick of forcing air back into the tank to see if it was a simple clog. Make sure to loosen the tank cap just for precaution.

Back