• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

tool box with bed rails idea?

snowboardman137

Reaction score
alright guys ive never seen this done before but heres how the idea came... my 02 sierra had bed rails on it when i bought it, i really liked the style of the bed rails but this coming winter i need somewhere to put stuff undercover without putting it in the truck (as i run a motorsports shop), so i had a brand new aluminum diamondplate craftsman toolbox given to me by my dad. so therefore i removed the bed rails to swap in the box. heres my idea... do u guys think it would be a good idea to cut the bed rails at the length i need and bolt 1 end thru the backside of the toolbox and the back side of the bedrail into the stock location? almost as the bedrail comes out of the toolbox idea? if i decide to try this i figure ill make a plate to fit inside the bedrail thats threaded, but does anyone have an idea on how i could mount the plate inside the bedrail tube without welding and turning it purple and distorted? any help or thoughts on this would be awesome.... thanks guys!

I wouldn't cut your bedsides. If you ever want to sell the truck, it's one more thing that people may or may not want. You may also not like the look after you do it, and want to change it.

If you are trying to attach the bed rail to the back of the tool box and you don't think you need a great deal of strength I would use a test plug and tighten it from inside the tool box.

attachment.php

Attachments

• test plug.jpg
    test plug.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 68
What kind of bed rails? Like diamond plate? Cant you put your box over top? I have mine that way on my 97. :)

I think I would go along the line of CTCHEVY427's idea. I would use a small section of that will fit inside the I.D of the rail. You could make a plate with a nut welded inside to attach(weld) to the pipe. Then you could drill a hole in the box and bolt on the pipe, then slide bed rail over that and attach at rear mount. That would be a bit stonger if you need it to be.

alright guys, me and my dad attempted it today and actually i am very pleased with how they came out... i asked around at a parts store for those test plug things and they had no idea so back to plan a... i cut the bedrails to the length i needed them and took a piece of 1/2" plate i had layin around and found a holesaw that made it just a hair bigger than the id of the bedrail, i then ground it down to the right size and threaded a hole in the middle of the plate... then i jbwelded it inside the bedrail... i was hesitant on jbweld but figured even if the weld didnt hold, the bedrail would not slide backward enough to come off the 1/2" plate... it looks as though it was something that was bought that way... ill post a couple pics later...

That came out really good. :thumbsup:

FYI the test plugs if ever needed again can be found at a plumbing supply store.

thanks guys! if you cant tell i really enjoy fabricating my own stuff and learning from my mistakes... if only i had the ingenuity or know how to make a soft tonneau cover that'd fit behind the toolbox inside the bedsides... lol

That came out real nice! I wrote up a nice plan for you right after you posted and then my internet went down and I lost it. You did a good job anyway.:thumbsup:
BTW, welcome to DTR! We have a real nice family here...

yeah thanks man... i dont have a diesel... as much as i wish i did but my next truck will definately be one... i have an 02 sierra 2500hd with the 6.0 which will do the job for now... i really like the people here they have awesome advise...

All brands and engines are welcome here. If you've been looking around you already know how much of a brotherhood we've developed...;)

yeah i see that... now i have a new question for u guys dealin with this toolbox... im looking for some lights that are tilt activated... like an under hood light... i wanna put like 2 of em in my tool box. im putting a second battery back there so wiring them wont be an issue but i just want somethin that'll work automatically when its opened... any ideas of where i could get somethin like that?

yeah i see that... now i have a new question for u guys dealin with this toolbox... im looking for some lights that are tilt activated... like an under hood light... i wanna put like 2 of em in my tool box. im putting a second battery back there so wiring them wont be an issue but i just want somethin that'll work automatically when its opened... any ideas of where i could get somethin like that?

I think the cheapest route would be to go to a wrecking yard and purchase some of those hood lights you talked about.

They are probably cheap. :thumbsup:

Back