• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

That pesky PMD problem has finally got me

ghostrider500

Always stirrin' the pot
Reaction score
Well, well, I can no longer feel superior or maybe, more appropiately, luckier than the average 6.5 owner. I still had the PMD on the injection pump and, until this week and last, had had no issues with it. Towed hot and heavy and no issues. I would read the posts of PMD issues and feel fortunate, maybe even a little cooler than the folks having issues.:cool:

But alas, the house of cards fell around me last week. I had the truck idling in the driveway and for no apparent reason it just died. I chalked it up to 6.5 crankiness and didn't give it much thought. Today, I was driving to my mother's place which is in town, and as I turned right onto her street the truck just died. Fired it right back up and continued on my way, but I know what I gotta do now.:agreed:

To be honest, the last four months or so I thought I felt in the seat of my pants and by noise a very subtle hesitation at highway speeds at times. Would this be the proverbial "fishbite"?

Anyway, think I'll be giving Heath or Leroy a call real soon.

Sooner or later, they all come for a visit it seems. Just to let you know who's the boss eh? :hihi:
Glad it didn't leave you out in the middle of nowhere Mark!

I am still pump mounted, except for the 96 when I bought it, it had an intake mount, with a couple of months on a flight systems, so I got Leroys kit right away. figured pump mount is better than intake mount, cooked enough hot dogs over coals to know that one. got a remote mount in a purchase of stuff from a local kid that cummins swapped, so I carry that as a spare.

I am sure I will meet the fate of the OP, and will have to get a relocation kit eventually

new to this site...and ditto.

Mine stalled "for no apparent reason". Since it happend in mother's driveway as well, ghostrider, do you think they know??

Just don't feel like spending $ on it now since it hasn't been earning it's keep...truck that is..not mother.

There is but one permanent fix!

Bobby, Unfortunately you are correct, but the money, time, parts, tools and skill level are not available to me.....For me, it is much more time and cost effective to just swap in a complete ready made FSD unit with a 7 year warranty and keep it moving.

Maybe if my circumstances were different, this could be an option....But from where I'm standing presently, when the Pump Mounted Driver takes a dirt nap, FSD/PMD replacement makes more sense....Too me, anyway.

i carry a spare mounted on a heatsink under the hood(plug in and go[spare cable too])
2 more spares in the glove compartment.
I haven't needed any yet.

The D-tech in the fender is doing fine for the last 2 1/2 yrs :skep:

There is but one permanent fix!
Yeah but it's not obd2 friendly is it ? You have to swap VB's in the tranny ? Funny you should mention because there is a 93 at the junky right now with cruise and everything with a 4l80e the IP with the tps the rpm sensor the TCM. I was gonna ask what he wanted for a package deal and I would probably just grab the tranny too.
You ain't gotta convince me on aDB2..I own two. I'd never go back to a DS4 truck after owning my 93. Anyone with a handshaker should really consider it as it's so easy to do. Also on a side note I did look into the implications of disabling the ecm for a DB2 swap on an OBD2 truck and in CT atleast, it's not an issue as ALL diesels under 10,000lbs go one the dyno. I thought it was only OBD1's so if I were to swap and disable the ecm, I would be ok . That would be a concern.
N the PMD issue, I have tried everything but the grey Standyne and they have all failed at some point. Even Heath's failed after 2 years. He honored the warranty for the new owner but to me what good is a warranty when your stranded in butt**** egypt. I carry a spare but who's to say the spare won't shit the bed thes damn things are so unpredictable and then my old Tahoe had it on the IP and ran fine. It really is just a crap shoot but I will never use a Flight Systems ever agin. that I can tell you for sure. I grabbed a NOS Black standyne for a C note. I'm not ready to take the grey standyne plunge when there are some reported failures. I wasted enough money as a Guinea Pig with the Flight Systems which was supposed to be "the cure":skep:

i carry a spare mounted on a heatsink under the hood(plug in and go[spare cable too])
2 more spares in the glove compartment.
I haven't needed any yet.

The D-tech in the fender is doing fine for the last 2 1/2 yrs :skep:

If it ain't broke, don't fix it....eh?.......Also, the "Boyscout" rule, always be prepared! :thumbsup:

Yeah but it's not obd2 friendly is it ? You have to swap VB's in the tranny ? Funny you should mention because there is a 93 at the junky right now with cruise and everything with a 4l80e the IP with the tps the rpm sensor the TCM. I was gonna ask what he wanted for a package deal and I would probably just grab the tranny too.
You ain't gotta convince me on aDB2..I own two. I'd never go back to a DS4 truck after owning my 93. Anyone with a handshaker should really consider it as it's so easy to do. Also on a side note I did look into the implications of disabling the ecm for a DB2 swap on an OBD2 truck and in CT atleast, it's not an issue as ALL diesels under 10,000lbs go one the dyno. I thought it was only OBD1's so if I were to swap and disable the ecm, I would be ok . That would be a concern.
N the PMD issue, I have tried everything but the grey Standyne and they have all failed at some point. Even Heath's failed after 2 years. He honored the warranty for the new owner but to me what good is a warranty when your stranded in butt**** egypt. I carry a spare but who's to say the spare won't shit the bed thes damn things are so unpredictable and then my old Tahoe had it on the IP and ran fine. It really is just a crap shoot but I will never use a Flight Systems ever agin. that I can tell you for sure. I grabbed a NOS Black standyne for a C note. I'm not ready to take the grey standyne plunge when there are some reported failures. I wasted enough money as a Guinea Pig with the Flight Systems which was supposed to be "the cure":skep:

Ace,if i was you i would walk...It would be to stressfull trying to drive :hihi:

Funny you should mention because there is a 93 at the junky right now with cruise and everything with a 4l80e the IP with the tps the rpm sensor the TCM. I was gonna ask what he wanted for a package deal and I would probably just grab the tranny too.

If nothing else, get the cruise control cable if you can, they are NLA. I would grab the throttle cable as well. 93 4L80E's maybe not, they updated some parts in 94 I think, I would get a later one if you can.

Yeah but it's not obd2 friendly is it ? You have to swap VB's in the tranny ?

Just a thought. I ran across this signal interface while looking for something for another car (why can't I leave well enough alone?). In any case, my guess is that with one of these, the DB2 conversion might be easier for a 4X4.

If I understand how this works, you should be able to wire this up so that when you shift to 4 Low, the signal interface would convert the signal from the transfer case sensor back to the correct signal for the trans computer. I can't remember, isn't the transfer case ratio around 2.7 or so? So the signal is 2.7 times faster than the TCM expects. So you get a relay and wire the signal box to divide the ratio by 2.7 while in low range and not do anything while in high range. The TCM is none the wiser, it has the correct signal, and everyone is happy. It should work, at least in theory. All we need is a guinea pig!

We (actualy my brother) have converted 4 1996 trucks from OBDII to the 94-96 style van TCM. I do the mechanicals and my brother did the electrical. I am lost with anything more than a basic relay. He was able to do it without even cutting any wires. Wish I knew more about the electrical aspect. Have been after him for years to make a guide.
Cruise from a 93 works great.
Kenny if you get some parts make sure to get the cruise bracket on IP as well (very hard to find)

Also FYI still have only had one Stanadyne PMD ever come back.

Edit: one of the trucks was a 4x4 and had a Cummins 6bt.

We (actualy my brother) have converted 4 1996 trucks from OBDII to the 94-96 style van TCM. I do the mechanicals and my brother did the electrical. I am lost with anything more than a basic relay. He was able to do it without even cutting any wires. Wish I knew more about the electrical aspect. Have been after him for years to make a guide.
Cruise from a 93 works great.
Kenny if you get some parts make sure to get the cruise bracket on IP as well (very hard to find)

Also FYI still have only had one Stanadyne PMD ever come back.

Edit: one of the trucks was a 4x4 and had a Cummins 6bt.
I got you Leroy, and when I can't get a Black one I'll go that route. You understand nothing against the you at all or anyone else selling greys, I just got a sour taste after jumping on the Flight Systems bandwagon. I got over 700$ in dead ones. But what was even worse was the way they failed. Don't need my engine doing u turns in the engine bay. Damn, I wish we video'd that day. Ersonally I'd love to see the results of Mikek3500's work. That DB4 has been on my mind for awhile. I was ready to bite the bullet until Peninsular talked me out of it.

Back