• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

SUNCOAST longevity?

THEFERMANATOR

FRANKENBURBAN
Staff member
Reaction score
This is probably a stupid question, but how well do the SUNCOAST modified trannies last? I know that they increase the holding power in them accordingly to each level, but what about clutch longevity and torque converter life? I ask because I know in racing that sometimes to increase strength you have to lose some longevity in the parts to accomplish it. I've been throwing around the idea of doing a CUMMINS conversion and would want to back it up with an ALLISON 1000 5 or 6 speed.

And also, how well does the ALLISON hold up to no torque management?

suncoast longevity

no replies. I hope thats not a bad sign. I was thinking about a suncoast in my transmissions next life.

like everything, it depends on how you treat it. mild ass whopping it will last a long while. if your drag racing, it depends on your luck and the builder. but they do last, and are made of quality stuff. plus they stand behind there stuff.

mine I put in back in 2005 and I put 60000 miles of total hell on it before I broke one of the planitarys inside and suncoast covered it fully. Very happy with my tranny and suncoast.

Well, I asked the same question a couple of years ago.
I built a SC 3 for my friend Frederick for his '05 LLY. He shipped his Duramax to Australia for a walkabout for a year. He ran the Edge Juice on level 5 at all times and beat the snot out of it in the outback. I had to send him parts for his transfercase as he destroyed it. He took out a driveshaft as well. He hurt the frame, tweaked his custom utility body, blew out 4 sets of tires. When all was said and done he had put 35,000 miles of hell on the truck. I got the truck back after it was picked up at the losAngeles docks. I tore the Alli down ( at no charge ) to see what it looked like. The Alli looked the same as when I built it.
Frederick then shipped the Duramax to South Afrika and drove the full length of the continent and then went through europe and had the truck shipped back to LosAngeles. No problems at all ( with the Alli ). Fredrick then did a North American tour across Canada and is now in South America. No problems with the Alli and I never changed a thing in it since I built the trans.
I post this not to blow smoke up my ass, but to praise a well engineered transmission that will last many many miles when put together right.
I believe the Alli will last 500K when built correctly and serviced properly.

I am still hammering mine almost 5 years now.

Over 100K on it, had it inspected over a year ago as I was doing a TC upgrade, all was well.

This is with hundreds of 1/4 passes, dyno pulls on load cells and N20 spraying.

):h

SC-III !!!!

I started with a level 3 rebuild but since I got it hot enough to melt the sensors it had to be completely tore down, inspected and rebuilt. In stock form it still towed my camper all the way home running around 230*-240* , any other transmission and I would have been walking.

I will let you guy's know in about another 60K because that is all my stock one could handle with the evo adding 100 hp and me driving like a lunatic :D. My tranny guy told me that this one will outlast the truck. I asked him if that was a promise or a dare):h. I have to go back monday for a post op inspection and filter change. Let the testing begin.....

Back