• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Steps to rebuild an Allison

GMCYA

Resident Coonass
Reaction score
Step one: load truck on trailer after it puked the fluid and haul it to the shop with a Ford!:eek:
IMG00035.jpg

Step 2: the rebuild begins......

Honestly, you guy's can say what you want about that 9 year old 7.3 but the squat comes from the tools in the bed and a full tool box on front of the trailer, plus a DMAX:eek:. That truck has around 350K miles or more. 2 transmissions ( one under warranty, input shaft, heavy load-heavy foot) , 1 set of front end parts, 1 4WD actuator, and a set of brakes with new calipers that I replaced about 3 months ago. The only thing it needs right now is an exhaust manifold gasket and a new AC blower. That trailer stays hooked up and loaded with a bobcat, compressors, tools etc. I can't say anything bad about that Ford. It has made the trip from one end of I 10 to the other. Coast to coast hauling 12 golf carts at a time. The squatting was addressed and a set of airbags goes on next. It has been one hell of a truck especially if you knew how it was driven or what it has been through. It should have died and been buried about 60K miles ago. Being a bunch of DMAX fans you guy's can keep pokin fun at the Furd but right now I can not be that hypocritical. My truck being towed by it is an 06 with only 57K miles:nonod:.

Yea ,I know it is and I posted the pic just so you guy's could have at it ):h because right now I can't say anything bad about it. Now, next week when I get mine back, He get's to drive it just to see what driving a real diesel feels like and the ribbing continues :D. Mine may be on the trailer but at least the heater blower works and doesn't have a blown EMG that sounds like crap! :D:D
Without being too hypocritical I sometimes miss my old 7.3PSD!
That truck is my favorite crew cab setup, big ass back seat .

UPDATE 2/11
I just got back from the tranny shop to check out my alli. Poor girl is in bad shape. It seems this would not have been a simple DIY project. Picking out my converter out of the pile was easy, it was the one with rainbow/purple colors. It seems that she was a bad lil girl and got herself all worked up and hot. So damn hot that the sensor for the TC was melted and the two bearings are ruined. The clutches are fried to say the least. Now she needs some new solenoid valves and a few more gaskets as it was completely dismantled. She is currently in icu but is in good hands and the next operation should show some improvement as to signs of life. I will try to get some pic's tomorrow. Stay tuned.

Glad to hear your getting her back together with the upgrades you know you wanted anyway. Some people will do anything to their rides just to get to do the upgrades............:D

Maybe I need to dog mine at the track and my wife will let me build my tranny huh? ):h

Seriously, if you need a hand, let me know, I'm not but 30 mins. away!

Charlie

Glad to hear your getting her back together with the upgrades you know you wanted anyway. Some people will do anything to their rides just to get to do the upgrades............:D

:rolleyes5:The parts are still 3 days out:sad: I might have it back by Friday but that is wishful thinking

Maybe I need to dog mine at the track and my wife will let me build my tranny huh? ):h
Just let me borrow it for a day, I guarantee the need for upgrades when I bring it back:thumbsup:
Seriously, if you need a hand, let me know, I'm not but 30 mins. away!

Charlie

I appreciate it but it is just a matter of getting all of the parts in at this point. I did not realize I would miss my truck this much. I can't wait to get it back, I just hope it is before the weekend. I will post the pics when I go pick it up. I am trying not to even think about it right now.

i know what you mean being without your truck. although mine is kinda voluntary. i choose not to drive it with bad head gaskets untill it gets fixed. you just plain dont have it! mine just sits in the driveway.

Ken

update: I picked it up yesterday afternoon. While it was down I upgraded the EVO to the hot tunes. Loaded hot 2 and let it learn and woohoo. It pulls hard, the diff is night and day in how the power actually gets to the ground. The shifts are quite firm. In stock form I never felt it upshift but now I feel every one. It seems to be getting smoother as it learns. On the way home after playing in traffic for a while a six leaker was blowing smoke on the interstate everytime he would pass so I knew he was not stock. I hauled ass and caught up. Don't know what he had but it was one of the better tuned fords I have met around here. We were side by side @ 65 and took off. Well with the blocker plate my truck spools up really fast and zoom, I pulled a length in no time and at 100 had 2 on him.):h. I was trying not to push it hard too soon but I could not resist. My rear tires hate the new "smoke 'em at will" tranny. I will go back tomorrow to pick up the damaged parts and post some pics. It is so nice to drive to work with the temp at 160* instead of 220*:eek:. I feel better knowing it was built by a pro and I have a 1 year "bet you can't kill it warranty":thumbsup:. The peace of mind was worth the extra cost over shade treeing it.

update: I picked it up yesterday afternoon. While it was down I upgraded the EVO to the hot tunes. Loaded hot 2 and let it learn and woohoo. It pulls hard, the diff is night and day in how the power actually gets to the ground. The shifts are quite firm. In stock form I never felt it upshift but now I feel every one. It seems to be getting smoother as it learns. On the way home after playing in traffic for a while a six leaker was blowing smoke on the interstate everytime he would pass so I knew he was not stock. I hauled ass and caught up. Don't know what he had but it was one of the better tuned fords I have met around here. We were side by side @ 65 and took off. Well with the blocker plate my truck spools up really fast and zoom, I pulled a length in no time and at 100 had 2 on him.):h. I was trying not to push it hard too soon but I could not resist. My rear tires hate the new "smoke 'em at will" tranny. I will go back tomorrow to pick up the damaged parts and post some pics. It is so nice to drive to work with the temp at 160* instead of 220*:eek:. I feel better knowing it was built by a pro and I have a 1 year "bet you can't kill it warranty":thumbsup:. The peace of mind was worth the extra cost over shade treeing it.

So does this mean you can come down to Suncoast tomorrow or Saturday?

ROAD TRIP! ROAD TRIP! ROAD TRIP! ROAD TRIP! ROAD TRIP!

As much as I would love to Pep, I have my lil sister coming in from Houston and she wants to take the kids to a parade. Believe me I would rather be there than watching a bunch of idiots going crazy over some 2 cents plastic beads. I will have the pics of the parts to post tonite.

This is a much better pic....Towing home the commuter:D

IMG00045-1.jpg

The shop cleaned up this morning and threw away the parts. :mad2: Just imagine a melted chunk of plastic and that is what the sensors looked like. I am just glad it is over, excuse me while I go pick aluminum cans):h.

If you need help (and it sounds like you do :crying:) emptying a bunch of aluminum cans until we :puke:, let me know...anything to help a brother out! :friday: :drunk1:

Back