• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Starter Failing

knh208

Reaction score
For approximately 18 months now, during cold weather (sub 0°C, 32F) I have been getting a noise that sounds like the starter drive is not releasing for 1-2 seconds after my engine has started and I have stopped cranking.

I called the rebuild shop that is literally 1-1/2 blocks from my house to see what they would recommend. They suggested that any work would likely be a minimum $60, maximum $195 as they carry rebuilds on the shelf for $195 with a 2 year warranty.

Then, I called my local parts house. They carry AC Delco units for $255 with a lifetime warranty.

I am planning to keep the truck for less than 2 years, and trust the local rebuild shop. What would you recommend? Is it worth it to spend the extra $60 for lifetime warranty?

Get it rebuilt!

x2.

Or rebuild it yourself. The GR starters are a bit more difficult that the old Direct drive starters however.

You could ask if the Auto electric shop has any parts lying around. My Gr starter needed a new armature and countershaft since the gears internally were grinding terribly. $45 out the door with used but good parts.

Always support your local businesses. They'll go out of their way for you, where as most big chain stores won't.

I've been inside countless starters and alternators, but for some reason never really thought of just picking up the parts I need.

Should I go to the stealer and get brand new bolts for it while I am in there? Should I threadlock them in so they don't rattle out?

I just bought a reman Delco w/ 1 yr warranty, in stock, from Advance Auto for $164.99 +core.

The noise you describe- if it sounds like a high-pitched scream is what I always had happen in my 83 CUCV w/ 6.2

I put a Ford solenoid on the firewall and ended the problem until I sold it a few years later.

Release the key before the engine starts. Crank before the glow plugs warm up... just to make sure the Ign switch or solenoid isn't hanging in on it's own.

That local shop can fix this oddball problem as it may be intermittent. However the extra $60.00 for the Delco starter may be worth it. A local shop rebuilt my boat starter and missed the rusted and weak brush spring. 1 year later the commutator was arched full of holes from the weak spring and nearly left me in the lake.

Up until recently, I had weak batteries. I definitely tried to let off before it started to minimize the effect. I had several no starts due to weak batteries. If the engine does not start, there is no extra noise, or prolonged cranking. If I let off too soon, it immediately stops. If I don't let the glows warm completely, it just cranks longer.

I certainly can't rule out the solenoid being weak or a bit dry sticky. However, I don't suspect that either one of them as much as the drive.

I hope to get into it tomorrow night. I'm off to the car wash to clean the snow and salt off before I park it in the garage and start the heater.

Thanks for all the suggestions thus far!

Took the starter in to the auto-electric shop down the street. They replaced the solenoid and brushes, cleaned a greased it for $115.

For less than half the cost of a lifetime warranty rebuild unit, I'm pretty happy with the results. I haven't bolted it back in yet, but I expect good things.

Always support your local businesses. They'll go out of their way for you, where as most big chain stores won't.

My local Autozone goes out of it's way to help out. I use the locally owned parts store for a few things Like the one that can magnaflux and hot tank) but usually I use the Autozone because it is a 3 min walk from the shop I use to fix stuff ... they loan me tools with out needing to leave the deposit..... even helped me engineer temp fix for something because it was going to take them 5 days to special order my part........ I even replaced a head gasket on a Suzuki Samurai in their parking lot....... with their tools ......

so I use my local autozone as much as I can

My local Autozone goes out of it's way to help out. I use the locally owned parts store for a few things Like the one that can magnaflux and hot tank) but usually I use the Autozone because it is a 3 min walk from the shop I use to fix stuff ... they loan me tools with out needing to leave the deposit..... even helped me engineer temp fix for something because it was going to take them 5 days to special order my part........ I even replaced a head gasket on a Suzuki Samurai in their parking lot....... with their tools ......

so I use my local autozone as much as I can

Sounds like you've got some good people at that Autozone. WE had an autozone like that. Everyone loved the manager there because he was just like that. Then they transferred him to some other store for some strange reason.

Installed the starter last night. Things always seem to go back together nicer when they aren't dirty and corroded.

I cleaned the bolts and holes in the block with brake clean, and then loaded the bolt up with thread lock. Hopefully I don't have any of the loosening problems that we've heard about so frequently.

I'm sure it could be done entirely from underneath the truck, but it sure seemed to make it easier with the inner fender removed. The brace would be really tricky!

End result is fantastic. Seemingly higher cranking speeds. No nasty noises after releasing the key. $127 very well spent, even if half the bill was labor.

Cheers for all your comments. I'm kinda glad I didn't do the rebuild myself. I'm willing to bet that I would have spent the same or more on parts, and not really come out any further ahead.

Back