• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Starcraft RV's?

Mad Maxx

See, what had happened was...
Reaction score
A few of my Friends got in to Camping the Past few Years and I went with them a few Times this Summer and had a Blast. So now I'm Thinking of getting one of my own and go along with them.

I know absolutely nothing about RV's, so any Help is much appreciated.

Best Deals I can Find on New Travel Trailers is "Starcraft". The only Place I've Heard that Name is with Boats. Are the Trailers any Good? The one I am Looking at is the "Ar-One 17rd". I don't need anything Big (Prob 20ft and Less would be Good for me, but I won't Complain if it's Bigger than 20ft and within my Budget), def DO NOT want one with Mesh Pop Outs, I want it Fully Enclosed from Outside.

Let's put the Budget at $12k or Less. The Startcraft's I found are Brand New, and some are Less than $10k.

So what do you Think?

Generally you tend to get what you pay for with RV's. Many of teh cheap units are built so cheap they are lucky to hold up for the warranty period with all wood frames, cardboard roofs with rubber glued to it and so on. For that budget I would STRONGLY suggest looking at a used trailer as you will take MUCH less of a hit in resale if you decide you don't like it down the road. And depending on layout, a 20 footer may not be very roomy. Our 25 footer isn't big enough for me and my wife anymore with the baby and 3 dogs due to it's layout.

X2. Along those lines stay away from any that are advertised as "light" models. The only way to make them lighter is to cut corners on construction

Water holding tank size! Big as you can get for the unit size. Screw 'light weight' get heavy. It'll pay off with durability. Not like you don't have something to pull it with.

1 thing that I did Notice, is that everyone that was there in our Group, all had Fleetwood Trailers. I know they got them Dirt Cheap too, and they are Beautiful Inside.

The one Guy got a 30 Footer for only $4500. Nothing wrong with it other than minor Cosmetic stuff that's an easy Fix.

From what I have seen travel trailers built before 99 or so seemed to be of higher quality. FLEETWOOD made ALOT of different brand names of trailers and were a middle of the road brand from what I understand. If you were closer I would sell you mine as it just isn't big enough for us anymore. Things to look CLOSELY at are rubber roofs and if they have been taken care of, soft spots in the floor, and do teh major appliances work. A simple fridge repair can turn into a replacement and set you back close to $2K right there if you stay with an RV fridge that can run on propane. I'm personally looking for a HOLIDAY RAMBLER ALUMALITE built before 99 when they were all aluminum frames, aluminum roof, and heavy frames with solid floors(the ones built back in the HARLEY days). And if you get one with a slide in it, be prepared for leaks as most all of them tend to leak somewhere in the slideout. And the bigger trailers seem to actually bring less than most smaller ones as it weeds out what alot of people can tow with there current vehicle. I've seen 32 footers go for next to nothing because the person can't tow it, and they were simply to big for the average half ton to tow. On teh other hand, alot of places have a length limit of 28 feet which also makes shorter trailers more desireable and fetch higher money. And avoid the light/lite trailers as they tend to use 3/8 plywood floors that feel like trampolines when you walk on them, cardboard roof underlays for weight savings, and puny 2X3 frames that can't hold up to many backroads. I looked at a few, and lets say disapointed was an understatement of how I felt looking at them.

From what I have seen travel trailers built before 99 or so seemed to be of higher quality.
I'm personally looking for a HOLIDAY RAMBLER ALUMALITE built before 99 when they were all aluminum frames, aluminum roof, and heavy frames with solid floors(the ones built back in the HARLEY days). And if you get one with a slide in it, be prepared for leaks as most all of them tend to leak somewhere in the slideout.

X2 on what Ferm said here.

There are other brands of trailer that are alum structure, but the Alumilite are the only ones I'm familiar with. You'll generally pay more for a trailer that has alum structure, but will usually get your moneys worth.

If you do go for a used trailer with a wooden structure be sure to check it over with a fine tooth comb for leaks. The areas most common for problems to look at are below the front window, around the door and the floor, front and back corners, and anyplace where something goes through the roof such as vents or AC.

Don

A Good amount of the ones I've Found for Cheap are Fixer-Uppers. Soft Floors that have been Repaired, not Repaired, or 1/2 way Repaired, Leaky Ceilings (same deal as the Floor).

But then there are some that I've Found that appear to be in Excellent Condition, or there are Hidden Problems that aren't Mentioned.

Back